AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Only question mark is his kicking imo.
I think that is probably why he was a bit of a slider draft night.

I'm hoping he irons that out. Or he simply plays to his strengths and becomes an Ollie Wines type, who leaves the outside work to the better users in the side.

It's a bit of a worry, especially with Merrett out - but we obviously knew that when we drafted him too.

I would assume the idea is for him to be dishing it out to the likes of Merrett in the future.

It's a bit of a worry, especially with Merrett out - but we obviously knew that when we drafted him too.

I would assume the idea is for him to be dishing it out to the likes of Merrett in the future.

I suspect his kicking is inside midfielder level, not Dylan Clarke level.

Dyaln Clarke level --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hobbs level --------------Merrett level :sunglasses:

Just from reports on his juniors and from watching last weekend, I just hope people aren't going to be expecting him to come in and hit the forwards lace out.

Love how he hits the scoreboard. Loves to run forward and take an overhead mark in the forward 50. Hopefully that doesn’t go away at afl level

Pick the boy!!!!

Everyone said Bill Hutchison couldn't kick when he started and he won 2 Brownlows after he worked hard in his craft.Jobe was a pretty rubbish kick early in his career to. Not too many are Mercuri esque off the bat

Ben's running, agility, intensity at the contest, tackling, hands and vision are his best qualities. Can take a good contested mark and loves kicking a goal

Just from reports on his juniors and from watching last weekend, I just hope people aren't going to be expecting him to come in and hit the forwards lace out.

So long as he's spending most of his time digging the ball out under packs, and isn't a liability in general play, I doubt we'll think too much about his kicking.

Pick the boy!!!!

Everyone said Bill Hutchison couldn't kick when he started and he won 2 Brownlows after he worked hard in his craft.Jobe was a pretty rubbish kick early in his career to. Not too many are Mercuri esque off the bat

Ben's running, agility, intensity at the contest, tackling, hands and vision are his best qualities. Can take a good contested mark and loves kicking a goal
Hes got a lot of good qualities, but I don't expect his kicking to improve too much. Usually naturally you're either a good kick or your not.

A few can improve that a good amount, but thats rare.

Hes in the side for inside grunt. That would be very nice in finals footy.

Last edited:
Watching Jason Horne-Francis chopping up for norf …I can see no reason why not to play him next week.

It’s not like we’re MFC with no spots for rookie mids

Yes he’ll fade in 2nd half because of being an 18 year old and not at elite senior fitness …but put him in anyway

We got nothing to lose and experience to gain for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Jason Horne-Francis chopping up for norf …I can see no reason why not to play him next week.

Yes he’ll fade in 2nd half because of being an 18 year old and not at elite senior fitness …but put him in anyway

Surely he plays next week

If Rachelle can handle senior level and not get killed ..I’m sure Hobbs will be fine.

Ham out ..Hobbs in

It’s pretty much the only change we can make to be honest, Francis must have went ok in the VFL but I can’t see a spot for him, happy to keep rolling with the two rucks.

Hobbs is no JHF who was 110% ready to step straight into senior football and play off the hff with a bit through the middle.

Nor is he Rachelle who is a genuine forward.

Both poor comparisons when Hobbs is a genuine contested mid. Let's not bash him up too early when he's still finding his feet in the VFL. We saw today that our miss aren't exactly terrible, so he can earn his spot.

Hobbs is no JHF who was 110% ready to step straight into senior football and play off the hff with a bit through the middle.

Nor is he Rachelle who is a genuine forward.

Both poor comparisons when Hobbs is a genuine contested mid. Let's not bash him up too early when he's still finding his feet in the VFL. We saw today that our miss aren't exactly terrible, so he can earn his spot.
Yeah nah put him in

Apparently there was a bit of flu that went through the club this week and a couple of guys were in doubt until the very last minute, which is why he was held over.

Guessing one or two of the mids since that’s what makes the most sense, we have injuries to that part of the ground already so he’s the only option to replace e.g. Parish if he had to withdraw.

Does he get a game next week with Snelling out?

Meme Think GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back