AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

ant555 can confirm but the forward craft of Ben Hobbs should be the most exciting thing for us. A midfielder who can genuinely contribute fwd is rolled gold in todays game of versatility.

I actually don't mind the idea of using him as the sub this week.
He is handy forward. Also puts a bit of pressure on.

More than happy for Ben to have more vfl midfield games like the weekend. A spot will open up in the team soon and he should come in with good form and fitness behind him.
I reckon you have to take the underperformers out, and put the performers in.
It's how you grow that competitive culture.

Clearly too good for the VFL so the question needs to be asked, will his development be bettered playing fwd/mid in the 1s or dominating the 2s in the guts? I’d like to see him in the seniors this week, probably gotta be in place of Heppell or Menzie (super unlucky). Start him forward then rotate with Parish/Merrett. A second CBA lineup of Shiel, Caldwell and Hobbs is very nice.

I reckon you have to take the underperformers out, and put the performers in.
It's how you grow that competitive culture.
As much as I want him in, the idea of a young bull mid learning to dominate in the VFL before being properly ready to come in (not try develop him in some hybrid role on the run in the seniors) is so exciting for essendon. We never do that!

Give him time, and don't make too many changes to a winning 22. As much as Dyson this, Phillips that, reckoning wouldn't hurt the culture you talk about for Brad to back in his players.

As much as I want him in, the idea of a young bull mid learning to dominate in the VFL before being properly ready to come in (not try develop him in some hybrid role on the run in the seniors) is so exciting for essendon. We never do that!

Give him time, and don't make too many changes to a winning 22. As much as Dyson this, Phillips that, reckoning wouldn't hurt the culture you talk about for Brad to back in his players.
Culture is best served by playing the best side, Hobbs must come in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Culture is best served by playing the best side, Hobbs must come in
Who comes out and where do you have him playing most of the game?
He's coming off injury and played 1 game in the VFL, no rush. Merret/shiel/parish/setters/caldwell were all really good, I would rather Hobbs stay in the VFL as a pure mid than get the Darcy Parish treatment at half forward and only pinch hit through the middle.

If we blood him in the seconds, he also might not sign with us.

If we blood him in the seconds, he also might not sign with us.

If he dominates the VFL every week like that it won't take more than a few weeks for him to force his way in to the side. Someone at AFL level will get hurt or under-perform.

Heppell almost certainly comes out this week, so it's whether Stringer, Weideman, Hobbs or Hind come in at his expense and who else might be dropped.

I wouldn't rush to push Menzies or Davey out given they have genuine creativity in the forward half.

Hobbs will get his chance eventually either through form or injury. Id be really surprised if they drop heppell this week for him though.
Hepp was dropped mid game I thought. Can't see them playing him over a rampant Hobbs. Old Essendon might've. Don't kill me, Brad.

Hepp was dropped mid game I thought. Can't see them playing him over a rampant Hobbs. Old Essendon might've. Don't kill me, Brad.
It’s not that simple though, we can’t have 10 inside mids- it throws the balance out in particular at the G. Hepp can run up and down a wing, or support off half back. Different skill set to hobbsys. Would love Hobbs to play, but Hepp covers 15kms in a game… albeit slowly

I don't see Hobbs being beneficial as a winger. I'd rather see him play as an inside mid. Bring a forward in and push Langford into the wing rotation instead

I don't see Hobbs being beneficial as a winger. I'd rather see him play as an inside mid. Bring a forward in and push Langford into the wing rotation instead
Tonight Show Nbc GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Agree. I am with you in saying wing is a specialized spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back