A 3 tiered Promotion/Relegation League in Geelong - Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Salary caps are good in theory if everyone sticks to them.The reality is a club can manipulate any figues shown under a salary cap.When the salary cap was last in the GFL all of the top clubs would have been well over the limit.

What if instead of every year sides going up and down do it every 2 or 3 years that way it rewards sides who are constantly good and sides who are poor gives them a chance to rebuild without the presure of getting dropped after one season. It could be done on a points basis lowest points over the period goes down , highest goes up.This way if a side has bad season with injury it might not cost them relegation.

for it to work properly there would need to be a salary cap for sure, otherwise clubs would buy players for promotion, gain promotion, then next year mass exodus after club does ok but another club tries and buys promotion and the original club could be left with just fringe players and become easy beats and therefore not really having the best teams in the comp.

Well then thats no different to how it is now mate. You cant tell me (with GFL seen as 1st tier) that all the best teams are in that league.

Bring it in asap

From memory I recall that the Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League has used a promotion/relegation system in the past, I am not to sure if it is still in use though.

Played Torquay in a recent pre-season and where beaten by 10 goals in wet conditions.
Lost to a Gdfl team even more recently but cant recall the team.

Have just had a 1st look at this thread today so a bit tardy on my thoughts on this.
You are correct in getting done by Torquay, remember it painfully clearly as I was on a wing & busted my nose early 2nd quarter. That was about 4 years ago though & yes we were extremely s**t that day.
Since then though I don't believe any of the "lower league" teams we've had practice games against have come close to winning. Beat Newcombe by 70 points the year after, Thomson the next etc etc.
It's pretty easy to think a team struggling for a while at one level should drop down, but I think that's a bit simplistic. Can only guage by what I've seen, but there's been quite a few highly rated guys come up to our club & others who've found the transition pretty hard going.
Also, in general I think it'd be difficult to promote/relegate clubs based solely on how the 1's footy goes considering each now has 2's, juniors, netball etc. Could face a situation like a few years ago in GCA when BPH cricket were relegated even though I think they won the 1sts but had nothing underneath.....

Currently how many areas/leagues are currently operating a promotion/relegation system throughout the state? and how is that going at present.

Secondly imagine if we had this in for season 2007. This would have led to Newcomb and Ocean Grove going up and also Belmont and East being promoted to level 2. Have a look at Newcomb now and tell me would that have been good for the league and the club.

Promotion and Relegation is seriously affected by a clubs ability to attract players and therefore it can and is effected by a clubs ability to create income and pay players. GDFL clubs currently operate on income streams that in the main are less than their GFL brothers therefore they would find this hard to compete.

The vafa (amateurs) in melbourne run the promotion/relegation system. It works very well too..A grade is an awesome standard. Theres 7 divisions - A grade to D4 and every division has fierce competition as clubs look to be promoted or desperately try to avoid relegation at the bottom end. It mantains so much more interest as the bottom clubs have something to strive for. The worst thing about it is that divisions are not location biased at all so sometimes you play teams an hour drive away etc. This wouldnt be a problem in geelong though
It would be good for geelong footy i reckon.

The vafa (amateurs) in melbourne run the promotion/relegation system. It works very well too..A grade is an awesome standard. Theres 7 divisions - A grade to D4 and every division has fierce competition as clubs look to be promoted or desperately try to avoid relegation at the bottom end. It mantains so much more interest as the bottom clubs have something to strive for. The worst thing about it is that divisions are not location biased at all so sometimes you play teams an hour drive away etc. This wouldnt be a problem in geelong though
It would be good for geelong footy i reckon.

How does it work though? Seniors seconds and juniors all go up and down? Is there a netball association with the footy?
These are questions that would require answering.

Have just had a 1st look at this thread today so a bit tardy on my thoughts on this.
You are correct in getting done by Torquay, remember it painfully clearly as I was on a wing & busted my nose early 2nd quarter. That was about 4 years ago though & yes we were extremely s**t that day.
Since then though I don't believe any of the "lower league" teams we've had practice games against have come close to winning. Beat Newcombe by 70 points the year after, Thomson the next etc etc.
It's pretty easy to think a team struggling for a while at one level should drop down, but I think that's a bit simplistic. Can only guage by what I've seen, but there's been quite a few highly rated guys come up to our club & others who've found the transition pretty hard going.
Also, in general I think it'd be difficult to promote/relegate clubs based solely on how the 1's footy goes considering each now has 2's, juniors, netball etc. Could face a situation like a few years ago in GCA when BPH cricket were relegated even though I think they won the 1sts but had nothing underneath.....
Corio by 5 goals about 3 years ago!

Great to see P.Riccardi add his 2cents on this issue. As a member of a GFL team he certainly has no worries about the idea. He added some concerns but they could be ironed out. By 2010 the Geelong region would be ready.

Great to see P.Riccardi add his 2cents on this issue. As a member of a GFL team he certainly has no worries about the idea. He added some concerns but they could be ironed out. By 2010 the Geelong region would be ready.

Good to see Ricco also made mention of Big Footy in the article. Thanks for reading Ricco. Maybe this sort of thing needs some high profile support to get off the ground.

Close this one down. I heard from a Footy Geelong director that its not even what Hartman said to the Addy. He said he's seen it in other leagues and the Addy geniuses wrote it up that that he fully supported it here.

Addy beat up, its a non event

Close this one down. I heard from a Footy Geelong director that its not even what Hartman said to the Addy. He said he's seen it in other leagues and the Addy geniuses wrote it up that that he fully supported it here.

Addy beat up, its a non event

No need to close down the thread just because of that. It needs to stay up to create debate and talk about it. Most people in Geelong football know its the right thing to do but its another thing to actually get it to happen. While talk is still going on the fire will still burn and hopefully one day the powers that be will see the sense in it and make it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need to close down the thread just because of that. It needs to stay up to create debate and talk about it. Most people in Geelong football know its the right thing to do but its another thing to actually get it to happen. While talk is still going on the fire will still burn and hopefully one day the powers that be will see the sense in it and make it happen.

Exactly.

Agree with you but I suppose what I'm saying is unless the FG and GDFL guys are really talking about it we can talk forever but it won't go anywhere.

There's a lot involved in the background, but I think that if it going to the best thing for local footy then that is what really matters. I think that it would give a real spark to the way footy is played and get some people out of there comfort zones.

Clearence time would be very interesting. I could imagine a lot of players clearing to clubs to stay at the top (or their level). It would be great to see where players loyalties lay.

I reckon get it going and get it on.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back