A list of football deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

toddy said:
one mt gravatt boy died a few years back i think.... he had a twin and both suffered some attack not sure of the medical condition but both collapsed during the game, one of them made it fortunately but i thought id mention it.... i only remember it because everyone wore a black armguard in the league that week.

That was Tomi Johnsons twin brother at a state afl carnival. Asthma attack was the cause. I think he was 12.

bradrowe#32 said:
Also, I remember when Robert Harrison passed away. He was an absolute legend in the area, winning Morrison medals etc. He was also my under 14's interleague coach. Great bloke.

Right on here rowey. I remember rolling up to a junior interleague training at Stanhope one day and then this little torana came rolling into the car park. Out stepped harro witht he bag of balls and trianign was underway.

What a legend that man was, i distinctively remember watching him star for tonny on numerous occasions. His iconic features to me were the mullet curls and the numerous blue braces he wore on his body.

Great comments Hank

cheers
JT

toddy said:
one mt gravatt boy died a few years back i think.... he had a twin and both suffered some attack not sure of the medical condition but both collapsed during the game, one of them made it fortunately but i thought id mention it.... i only remember it because everyone wore a black armguard in the league that week.

Im pretty sure he was the son of Carlton great Wayne "The Dominator" Johnston.

Flat Track Bully said:
Anzac Day 1998 Newtown & Chilwell vs St.Mary's...

A very moving tribute was played at that year's Mathieson Medal night. A Mark West highlight's package to Screaming Jets' "Better".

I'm not sure if his number remains retired or not though...I think he wore three.

Westy did wear 3 . Becuase as a lasting tribute his mate Damian Villarosa has it tattooed on his left pec muscle, with Westys name around it. Nice touch bi Villa;)

Flat Track Bully said:
Anzac Day 1998 Newtown & Chilwell vs St.Mary's...

A very moving tribute was played at that year's Mathieson Medal night. A Mark West highlight's package to Screaming Jets' "Better".

I'm not sure if his number remains retired or not though...I think he wore three.

Westy did wear 3 . Becuase as a lasting tribute his mate Damian Villarosa has it tattooed on his left pec muscle, with Westys name around it. Nice touch bi Villa;)

centreman said:
Was a couple in Gippsland in 2000 I think, maybe late 1990s. Hug from Sale v Traralgon at Traralgon

Yeah, I remember that clearly. It happened in round 3, 1999. Ernie Hug was his name, a terrific player who unfortunately collapsed in front of his brother. His brother, Peter, finished out the season with Sale before moving on. Both were considered interleague level but only Peter had the chance.

centreman said:
Was a couple in Gippsland in 2000 I think, maybe late 1990s. Hug from Sale v Traralgon at Traralgon and a twos bloke from Trafalgar the week before.

Also Darren Turner senior died of natural causes after a game after kicking 10 or so and 100 in the year. I think he was with Tally at the time.

Peter Hug from Sale footy club died whilst playing against Traralgon mid 90's. They now play for the Peter Hug memorial trophy. A large framed photo of him hangs in the Sale Club rooms as well as in the trainers room.

not sure if im exactly correct, but im pretty sure one of the Ritchie boys died at training in Wedderburn either last preseason or the 04 preseason... (his Brother and Father died in the Egypt bus crash)

I think it is reasonable to keep this thread open, especially considering everyone posting is doing so with respect and sensitivity.

Just a short point I wish to make however, let's make sure if we are posting about a players death, that we know for certain that this is the case. (Bit like seeing your name in the paper under 'Deaths' I imagine).

Take the Hug case as an example. I'm a little confused if both have passed on or not?

*Crash* said:
I seem to remember a relative of Jobe Watsons passing away during a game in SA somewhere in the past couple of years also?

That was Jake Watson playing for West Adelaide in the SANFL U/19s' Round 2 2002 at Richmond. Was the son of 1983 West premiership player Larry Watson, who of course is Tims' brother. The game was called off in the third quarter when it happened; initally it was thought to have been as a result of a collision with another player, but it was due to a heart condition. Ironically the scores were level at the time of it happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A gentleman by the name of John Helmer collapsed and died while playing for the Drysdale seconds (Bellarine Football League) back in the mid '80s.

He was a retired player who only pulled the boots on to help the club who were short in the Ressies that day.

I only know of two that have passed away during or immediately after matches down here in Tassie - mainly because info is very scarce/patchy on the game here.

No names supplied but there was one footballer who died on the Queenstown Oval in the 1940's or 50's from hitting his head on the gravel surface.
This was confirmed on a story on "The Gravel" on Nine's Wide World Of Sports over a decade ago.

There was actually a trainer, Victor Lisson, who was a trainer at the old Hobart Tigers who died of a heart attack during a match at North Hobart Oval in 1973.

Then slightly off topic, was the tragic story of Clarence player Gavin Oxley, who celebrated with his Clarence teammates after a win at Bellerive in the early 90's, and later in the night grabbed a little wooden boat from the Bellerive foreshore and attempted to row his way across the Derwent to Hobart City and was never seen or heard from again.

Last edited:
An unnamed player for Ceduna Blues died from heart failure during a match between them and Western United in the Far West FL in South Aust last weekend (25/5/07).

Football tragedy

It will be up to individual clubs whether they play football in the Far West this weekend following the death of a Ceduna Blues player who suffered what is believed to be a massive heart attack during a game at Penong last Saturday.
The Far West Football League had considered abandoning the scheduled round but club representatives and officials agreed yesterday morning that it should go ahead.

However, the Western United Tigers versus Koonibba game, scheduled to be played on the Penong oval, will be relocated to the Far West Aboriginal Sporting Complex oval in deference to Aboriginal culture.

Players from both Western United and Koonibba had indicated they were not comfortable with the thought of playing on the Penong oval this weekend.

Far West Football Commission chairman, Allan Suter, said cancelling the weekend's round had been considered when it was believed a funeral was to be held tomorrow.

However, the funeral is now scheduled for later next week and the following long weekend is the Mortlock Shield competition in Port Lincoln with no Far West games scheduled.

Mr Suter said it was up to the individual clubs whether they played this weekend.

Many of the Aboriginal players in the league are related to the player who died - he came from the Port Lincoln area and was in his first year with Blues.

The player, 33 - his name is not used for cultural reasons - was a Blues forward in the A grade match against Western United Tigers at the Penong oval.

He was said to have felt unwell before the game, but decided to play.

In the second quarter he went to the ground in a legitimate tackle and in the fight for the ball the field umpire awarded a free kick against him.

The Tigers player jumped up to take the kick, then called for medical assistance when he saw his opponent shaking.

The Blues player attempted to get up but collapsed.

Field umpire and volunteer ambulance officer for 15 years, Paul Warmington, attempted to revive him.

He and spectators, nurse Marls Shipard and local farmer Peter Nielson, applied cardiopulmonary resuscitation until an ambulance arrived.

The player's partner was sitting in a car watching when he collapsed.

The game was abandoned.

Blues Football Club president, Kym Marks, said the death had "hit the club very hard".

"He was a great lad - always happy, smiling. He had a lot of friends at the club and in the other clubs," Mr Marks said.

Three grief counsellors attended the Blues training night last night to talk to players and club officials.

Mr Marks said the player had been living in Ceduna since the start of the football season. He had previously played for Mallee Park Football Club in Port Lincoln.

Condolences on behalf of the Far West Football Commission and the District Council of Ceduna were passed on to the player's family, friends and teammates by Mr Suter.

"It is a tragedy. He was well liked by everyone," he said.

The Aboriginal flag being flown at the council chamber this week as part of Reconciliation Week was lowered to half-mast as a mark of respect.

Mr Suter said a cultural ceremony would be held at the Penong oval before another football game was played there.

However, the league may have to consider moving Tigers' home games to another oval for the rest of the season.

Koonibba A grade coach, Charlie Coleman, said some players who were related to the dead man might not be able to play on the Penong oval for "up to 12 months".

Mr Coleman said that in Aboriginal culture it would show "a lack of respect" if related players were to play on the Penong oval before then.

Darren Turner 23 died the day after the Kdfl 2nd semi final in 1991.
Darren played for Tallygaroopna and kicked 115 goals for the H&A and added 5 more in the match against Lancaster.
Darren complained of chest pains during the third quarter and was interchanged off.

He visited hospital on Saturday night but returned home only to be found dead in his bed on Sunday morning.

Darren Turner 1987 - 130 - Wunghnu - Picola DFL
Darren Turner 1990 - 103 - Tallygaroopna - Kyabram DFL
Darren Turner 1991 - 120 - Tallygaroopna - Kyabram DFL

A few years back a footballer from Merrivale in the Warrnambool District League passed away after collapsing on the field during the senior game, this was the second incident in less than 10 years for Merrivale as they lost their club captain in his sleep after training around 1996/97.

RIP to all listed here.

1879 CROOKS ROBERT CRAIG 19 TALBOT
1884 JOHNSTON JOHN 14 MELB HOSP
1890 GRIFFITHS ALBERT 18 NEWPORT
1890 TOOTELL FRED 19 NATIMUK
1901 TURNBULL PETER 22 YARRAM VS RAMBLERS
1913 SELLECK HOWDEN 23 BALLARAT
1913 AH LOONG NORMAN 13 EAGLEHAWK
1914 LAWSON WILFRED RAMBLERS VS PORT GOODWOOD
1914 MACKIE WALTER 28 LANG LANG VS KOO WEE RUP
1920 WILLIAMS WALTER 26 E MELB
1921 SKEHAN PHILIP 26 E MELB
1921 UNDERWOOD CHARLES 22 CAMPERDOWN
1922 LUGTON REGINALD 21 OLD WESLEY COLLEGIANS VS UNIVERSITY A
1925 OCALLAGHAN ARTHUR 38 YATPOOL VsRED CLIFFS MAIN PUMPS
1926 WITTO LESLIE 23 CARLTON
1928 STEPHEN CYRIL ER 25 GOROKE
1929 HARVEY ROBERT 20 E MELB
1933 HAMILTON JOHN F 26 PRAHRAN
1933 PHILLIPS FRED 27 HAWTHORN
1934 HARWOOD LAWSON 13 WARRNAMBOOL
1934 GREENWOOD LAURENCE 23 PRAHRAN
1935 DUGGAN ALBERT 25 MELB
1935 BRIGHT PERCY 19 BOUNDARY BEND VS KOOLOONONG
1936 RODDA FRED A 23 MORWELL Vs YARRAGON
1936 MCFARLANE ERNEST 26 MELB
1936 ROWE ROBERT 33 FITZROY
1936 RAMSAY MALCOLM 16 PRAHRAN
1938 WALLACE RONALD 21 KANIVA
1938 MONCRIEFF LESLIE 18 HORSHAM
1943 CORBETT EDWARD 30 HEIDELBERG
1944 O'BRIEN PAUL 28 WANGARATTA VS GLENROWAN
1946 CARAMINAS GEORGE 14 MELB
1946 FORD EDWIN B 28 MAROOPNA
1946 HUTTON LEONARD G 26 SWAN HILL
1947 MCCABE EDMUND J 23 DIMBOOLA
1947 MOORE REGINALD W 23 NEWRY
1948 SUTTON MILTON H 26 FITZROY
1948 LEMKE HAROLD E 15 FITZROY
1948 PURVIS COLIN C 18 HORSHAM
1949 CRUNDY FRANCIS H 22 WARRNAMBOOL
1952 CLARKE JAMES ARTHUR 17 EUROA Vs SEYMOUR
1954 MCQUEEN ROBERT 13 MOORABBIN
1958 HARKESS JAMES 19 WILLIAMSTOWN
1961 CUTTRISS NOEL 15 BOX HILL
1963 CUMMINS JOHN ADRIAN 21 MOORABBIN
1964 HOLT DONALD NORMAN 16 PARK
1964 LANCASTER ARTHUR 23 HEIDELBERG
1968 LARSEN JOHN SVEN 19 BENDIGO
1974 MCKAY FRANCIS WP 15 MILDURA
1975 NOTMAN ANTHONY 24 NEERIM NEERIM SOUTH RES VS NILMA DARNUM
1996 HARRISON ROBERT 38 RUSHWORTH Vs HEATHCOTE
2004 PIKE FESS 36 BRUNSWICK POWER VS SUNSHINE HEIGHTS

Anthony Notman was 1985 (otherwise would not have been my godfather if 1975). There was also a young guy drop at a football training session around the mid-1990s at Cowwarr in Gippsland. Unfortunately, an honour board for the club cannot be found online to see when my uncle coached there. There are of course many more relating to those commuting to/from matches or training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back