1963 CUMMINS JOHN ADRIAN 21 MOORABBIN
1964 HOLT DONALD NORMAN 16 PARK
1964 LANCASTER ARTHUR 23 HEIDELBERG
1968 LARSEN JOHN SVEN 19 BENDIGO
1974 MCKAY FRANCIS WP 15 MILDURA
1975 NOTMAN ANTHONY 24 NEERIM NEERIM SOUTH RES VS NILMA DARNUM
1996 HARRISON ROBERT 38 RUSHWORTH Vs HEATHCOTE
2004 PIKE FESS 36 BRUNSWICK POWER VS SUNSHINE HEIGHTS

You sure do know how to post a "feelgood thread", Todman!
One missing there is a young fella by the name of Gie Goswinkle, who died while playing for Euroa in the early 90s. I think he was about 18yo at the time.

Pretty sure two blokes died within weeks, perhaps same day, of each other a couple of years ago. One down around Warrnambool somewhere and perhaps one up in the Mallee?

Edited to add: Weird idea for a thread, no?

Unfortunately down Geelong way, MARK WEST died on the football field. He was in his early 20's. He played for Newtown in the GFL. It was a result of a hit to the chest, i believe it caved in or something like that. It was not a deliberate or malice act, just one of those things. Happened around 99/2000 i think.

Grandale said:
You sure do know how to post a "feelgood thread", Todman!
One missing there is a young fella by the name of Gie Goswinkle, who died while playing for Euroa in the early 90s. I think he was about 18yo at the time.

Yeah I remember that one Grandale. I think it happened in the 3rds near the end of the game and he was running through the middle and collapsed. He was down for a while and the trainers were working on him. Then the reserves ran out to play and he was still down. That game got cancelled, as did the seniors. I think he had a previous heart condition. It was a weird feeling being there. I believe this game was in 1994.

Also, I remember when Robert Harrison passed away. He was an absolute legend in the area, winning Morrison medals etc. He was also my under 14's interleague coach. Great bloke.

Morbid.

Don't know the fellas name but a guy from Rockbank seconds died from a heart attack on the field during the 1998 or 1999 season when playing against Wallan at Wallan.

Was a couple in Gippsland in 2000 I think, maybe late 1990s. Hug from Sale v Traralgon at Traralgon and a twos bloke from Trafalgar the week before.

Also Darren Turner senior died of natural causes after a game after kicking 10 or so and 100 in the year. I think he was with Tally at the time.

A sad list of guys passing away whilst playing the game they loved.

Also can add a guy named Greg Pimm who died from a massive heart attack whilst playing for Mitcham against Ringwood in the old Eastern Districts Football League in the early 90's.

Gee this must do a lot for all the players about to start 2006. Any chance that we can get some good news going? What purpose does this serve except to bring back bad memories and give off a negative vibe. Can we stop this thread?:thumbsdown:

ringo1 said:
Gee this must do a lot for all the players about to start 2006. Any chance that we can get some good news going? What purpose does this serve except to bring back bad memories and give off a negative vibe. Can we stop this thread?:thumbsdown:

I agree ringo, what purpose does this thread serve? I personally have seen one of my best friends pass away playing football, and to me all a thread like this does is trivialise a very serious and senistive topic for a lot of people..

a.k.a. said:
I agree ringo, what purpose does this thread serve? I personally have seen one of my best friends pass away playing football, and to me all a thread like this does is trivialise a very serious and senistive topic for a lot of people..

Here here, for once, no posts. !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting point ringo. I don't think such a thread lacks a place here, but there's perhaps some validity to urging empathic handling of the sensitivities of the topic.

I for one know that todman has utterly no intention to trivialise the matter of tragedies on a football field. He has spent countless hours researching, gathering and compiling information on many different subject matters relating to grass roots footy over recent years. I know this because he's contributed so much of the info to footypedia that it'd probably only have half its current data (if it wasnt currently offline) without him.

While I agree its not good form to speak ill of the dead, nor to trivialise their passing, I don't think this falls into either capacity and am confident it says more to memorialise than to trivialise.

When I once uncovered the death on-field of a Rupanyup player v Marnoo in the 1930s (the death caused a GF to remain unconcluded to this day, which goes to show the esteem in which life is held in the footy community), it was of plain and simple interest to me to find out more if I could. I also presented the information to anyone who'd hear. I don't think I transgressed and I don't think there's any transgression here either. But let it be known that I would hope learning of a tragedy as mentioned above would cause a viewer to feel highly of the victim, not lowly!

Again, I must admit its an angle on presenting this subject I hadn't thought of. I'm up for more debate on the pros and cons but am not ready to close the thread just yet.

The Hulkster said:
Unfortunately down Geelong way, MARK WEST died on the football field. He was in his early 20's. He played for Newtown in the GFL. It was a result of a hit to the chest, i believe it caved in or something like that. It was not a deliberate or malice act, just one of those things. Happened around 99/2000 i think.

Anzac Day 1998 Newtown & Chilwell vs St.Mary's...

A very moving tribute was played at that year's Mathieson Medal night. A Mark West highlight's package to Screaming Jets' "Better".

I'm not sure if his number remains retired or not though...I think he wore three.

Grimmett said:
Pretty sure two blokes died within weeks, perhaps same day, of each other a couple of years ago. One down around Warrnambool somewhere and perhaps one up in the Mallee?

Edited to add: Weird idea for a thread, no?

That's correct, I was at a game between Boort and Birchip-Watchem in 2002 at Boort, when a bloke by the name of Tasman Pettit (I think) collapsed on the ground and died. Very harrowing experience, and I do recall another footballer dying on that same day elsewhere in Victoria.

a.k.a. said:

My Father is on the original list posted here, and my opinion on this matter is totally the opposite to the last couple of posts.
I have no problem with people bringing up and talking about a topic like this. It is not trivial, serious and sensitive yes, when i seen the title of the thread I wanted to look at it and see if my fathers name was there and if anyone had said anything, and on both those fronts there had been. I was proud and happy to read what people had said and how my father may have played some small part in there lives.
If you dont want to open up your minds and only look at the negative of someones death then I am sure as with all threads you can read the heading and decide not to open it, because when I opened it and read what was said, I didnt think of the negative of my fathers death but the joy and happiness of his life and those great memories of watching him play footy, and us kicking the ball around the backyard when he taught me everything about the game that I am trying to put to good use now. Cheers to you all.

Jamie Corrish is another that can be added to the list unsure of the particulars but the KDFL and Central Goulburn league played for the Cup named in his memory until this year. From memory I think he passed away in 1994.

hank1 said:
My Father is on the original list posted here, and my opinion on this matter is totally the opposite to the last couple of posts.
I have no problem with people bringing up and talking about a topic like this. It is not trivial, serious and sensitive yes, when i seen the title of the thread I wanted to look at it and see if my fathers name was there and if anyone had said anything, and on both those fronts there had been. I was proud and happy to read what people had said and how my father may have played some small part in there lives.
If you dont want to open up your minds and only look at the negative of someones death then I am sure as with all threads you can read the heading and decide not to open it, because when I opened it and read what was said, I didnt think of the negative of my fathers death but the joy and happiness of his life and those great memories of watching him play footy, and us kicking the ball around the backyard when he taught me everything about the game that I am trying to put to good use now. Cheers to you all.

Respect Hank1 :thumbsu: very well spoken.

Well,
my post stirred up some emotions here.

The deaths can be put into the categories

Heart Failure (A warning to older footballers)

Internal injuries ( as result of body on body collisions )

Head Injuries ( Protective helmet recommended )

Percy Bright 1935 died as a result of landing after attempt of a high mark.

one mt gravatt boy died a few years back i think.... he had a twin and both suffered some attack not sure of the medical condition but both collapsed during the game, one of them made it fortunately but i thought id mention it.... i only remember it because everyone wore a black armguard in the league that week.

ringo1 said:
I totally respect your opinion Hank.:thumbsu:

IMO both sides of the coin are entirely valid. Kudos to everyone putting forth their thoughts honestly and openly.

What would yers think about if I changed the thread title to 'Roll of honour - A list of football deaths' (the first part being similar to what todman used on the other m'board), and had a warning at start mentioning that the content could be upsetting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back