Feb 7, 2000
Horsham
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Toot toot

Get on the Bandwagon

I was on a trip to QLD one week and I saw Bruce play his first game for the Lions reserves up at Apsley. It was a pre-season practice game.

I said to Mr and Mrs Ripper, "This kid is good."

I said to Bruce after the game, "Great game, Bruce."

He is good.

Join us on this kids Special AFL journey.

Toot toot

Get on the Bandwagon

I was on a trip to QLD one week and I saw Bruce play his first game for the Lions reserves up at Apsley. It was a pre-season practice game.

I said to Mr and Mrs Ripper, "This kid is good."

I said to Bruce after the game, "Great game, Bruce."

He is good.

Join us on this kids Special AFL journey.
Just think, you would never have had that encounter and the opportunity to inspire Bruce if we hadn't left the headlights on and been stuck in the car park with a flat battery.

Actual sliding doors moment ping Damo.

A few years back I was stumbling out of Birdees at 4AM after a K-Pop dance marathon. My legs were heavy and I could barely keep myself upright. I decided the best course of action was to take a tumble and rest my temple against those poles holding the Chinese lanterns up in the mall. I thought I'd make my bed there with the other refuse of the night and ponder my inadequacies in the searing light of a Brissie summer dawn. As I was about to surrender myself to the gutter, who should pop up but Special Bruce. "You've had a rough night cobber; here take this" he said as he popped a toasted cheese out of his cargo shorts and straight down my gullet. The infusion of the melted throbbing gouda mess mixed with the dancing heat of the spicy pepperjack and tangy munster combination immediately invigorated my veins. The Tiptop Pure White bread stimulated that adrenaline rush just like the fine white powders I eviscerated on the dunny at Birdees. I jumped up and felt the power of a Roman Legion and I was ready to conquer Fortitude Valley Station. Veni, vidi, vici! I looked around to thank my saviour but alas Special Bruce was already pacing away to save another soul. I shouted my gratitude. I asked him if I ever needed him again how would I ever find him? He turned back and looked directly into my soul. "Just look for my name in Myers. If you can find it then I will be with you always". That was the last time I ever felt fear. From then on I have always furnished myself with the finest of Australian toasters, the Breville Toast Control 4. It makes enough for two toasted cheeses at a time. Every night before I set out on my misadventours Special Bruce is always with me in my cargo shorts. One to save myself and one to save someone else just like that time Bruce saved me.

A few years back I was stumbling out of Birdees at 4AM after a K-Pop dance marathon. My legs were heavy and I could barely keep myself upright. I decided the best course of action was to take a tumble and rest my temple against those poles holding the Chinese lanterns up in the mall. I thought I'd make my bed there with the other refuse of the night and ponder my inadequacies in the searing light of a Brissie summer dawn. As I was about to surrender myself to the gutter, who should pop up but Special Bruce. "You've had a rough night cobber; here take this" he said as he popped a toasted cheese out of his cargo shorts and straight down my gullet. The infusion of the melted throbbing gouda mess mixed with the dancing heat of the spicy pepperjack and tangy munster combination immediately invigorated my veins. The Tiptop Pure White bread stimulated that adrenaline rush just like the fine white powders I eviscerated on the dunny at Birdees. I jumped up and felt the power of a Roman Legion and I was ready to conquer Fortitude Valley Station. Veni, vidi, vici! I looked around to thank my saviour but alas Special Bruce was already pacing away to save another soul. I shouted my gratitude. I asked him if I ever needed him again how would I ever find him? He turned back and looked directly into my soul. "Just look for my name in Myers. If you can find it then I will be with you always". That was the last time I ever felt fear. From then on I have always furnished myself with the finest of Australian toasters, the Breville Toast Control 4. It makes enough for two toasted cheeses at a time. Every night before I set out on my misadventours Special Bruce is always with me in my cargo shorts. One to save myself and one to save someone else just like that time Bruce saved me.
I love a good Brucing.

He will be my favourite player next year. A Maryborough lad. Jamie Charman also lived there, another legend

Just think, you would never have had that encounter and the opportunity to inspire Bruce if we hadn't left the headlights on and been stuck in the car park with a flat battery. Actual sliding doors moment ping Damo.

What's this 'we'? I didn't leave anything on. I was in the back seat...

I saw him kick five goals in a vfl game once. Haven’t seen many vfl games but he looked great that day. How old is he?

22. Good age. Academy product since 2019. Stuck around. Developed. Now he is in the AFL system he will improve more. Reckon he turns into a 150 gamer for the club. At least

I took my mother and father down to Avalon Airport Oval to cheer on the Lions in the VFL final. After the match we saw Bruce continue to jog some laps and do some sprint training. My father went down to the fence post and waved Bruce down. He said he was quite a remarkable young man to be so dedicated to his craft and to continue training after such a tough finals loss. With a the fitness and physique like his, my dad said it wouldn't be long until he was on an AFL list! Bruce huffed at my dad. He said AFL training doesn't mean diddly squat when you have a "real job" like a meat packer. He called my dad a boomer and asked if he ever carried a 90kg ewling carcass for 6 hours a day. He then mimed carrying dead animals around for another lap. He then ran a couple more laps where he would shadow box and mime animal slaughtering. When he passed us again he did some finger guns at my mum and said that wasn't the only meat he was packing. He winked at me and said I might get a new dad for Christmas if my mum played her cards right. My poor mother was so embarrassed. She was beet red for at least a couple hours. We had to take her home and give her an extra dose of her amlodipine. How do I contact Andrew Wellington and advise him of Bruce's character before final list lodgements so he can make a considered decision?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I took my mother and father down to Avalon Airport Oval to cheer on the Lions in the VFL final. After the match we saw Bruce continue to jog some laps and do some sprint training. My father went down to the fence post and waved Bruce down. He said he was quite a remarkable young man to be so dedicated to his craft and to continue training after such a tough finals loss. With a the fitness and physique like his, my dad said it wouldn't be long until he was on an AFL list! Bruce huffed at my dad. He said AFL training doesn't mean diddly squat when you have a "real job" like a meat packer. He called my dad a boomer and asked if he ever carried a 90kg ewling carcass for 6 hours a day. He then mimed carrying dead animals around for another lap. He then ran a couple more laps where he would shadow box and mime animal slaughtering. When he passed us again he did some finger guns at my mum and said that wasn't the only meat he was packing. He winked at me and said I might get a new dad for Christmas if my mum played her cards right. My poor mother was so embarrassed. She was beet red for at least a couple hours. We had to take her home and give her an extra dose of her amlodipine. How do I contact Andrew Wellington and advise him of Bruce's character before final list lodgements so he can make a considered decision?
Look, I think we cut Andrew out of the picture and you just start calling Bruce dad and we call it a day.

Am I right in saying Reville is actually from PNG? I'm sure I read somewhere that he was born there but moved to the Wide Bay region as a kid. Similar to Mal Michael's story of being born in PNG and growing up in Queensland where he learnt to play footy. I've seen him a few times in the VFL and he looks like he could be anything if he gets a chance at the top level.

Am I right in saying Reville is actually from PNG? I'm sure I read somewhere that he was born there but moved to the Wide Bay region as a kid. Similar to Mal Michael's story of being born in PNG and growing up in Queensland where he learnt to play footy. I've seen him a few times in the VFL and he looks like he could be anything if he gets a chance at the top level.

Bruce Reville, Brisbane Lions

Bruce was taken in a Category B rookie deal by the Brisbane Lions. Originally from Papua New Guinea and growing up in Cairns, he has seen success across his playing career from Burrum Heads to Wide Bay, and the Sherwood Magpies. In 2016, he was awarded the Troy Clarke Scholarship to support his football aspirations. Moving to the Sherwood Magpies in Brisbane in 2018, he became a Colts Premiership Player. He was selected in the Brisbane Lions Academy in 2012 and joined the inaugural Brisbane Lions VFL side in 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back