News AFL Drug Scandal (breaking)

Remove this Banner Ad

Richard Ings is the ex-chairman of ASADA.

I kind of get both sides of this.

On one hand as Ings said what the AFL are proposing is much better than most of treating out of competition use as a health issue. This is a really good start.

But the other hand it really does feel like they are going way too far and enabling players to dodge the actual in comp testing and hence enabling the use to continue. We already know they will do everything they can do cover up for the star players as long as they are useful (ie making them money) and only let the odd kid or nobody get caught out

Edit: I just realised I say this way too often on this board in sitting on the fence.

I need to be much stronger in positions - burn the whole AFL down!!!!

Nah, I think you got it right.

My opinion is very colored by experience, I like hearing from moderates with one foot in each camp.

I kind of get both sides of this.

On one hand as Ings said what the AFL are proposing is much better than most of treating out of competition use as a health issue. This is a really good start.
Is that what he was saying? I thought he was saying its good the AFL have any sort of testing program for illicit drugs because doping authorities don't care about the use of it outside of competitions.

But the other hand it really does feel like they are going way too far and enabling players to dodge the actual in comp testing and hence enabling the use to continue. We already know they will do everything they can do cover up for the star players as long as they are useful (ie making them money) and only let the odd kid or nobody get caught out
But is this really a problem? The country has silly drug laws in my opinion, and I don't mind the AFL enabling something that isn't hurting anybody else, which makes it a victimless crime. There's no performance-enhancing aspect to it, if anything it's a performance-limiting aspect, so it's the clubs themselves who should be seeking to discourage drug use rather than the AFL as a whole. At most the AFL should be offering proper mental health support for anyone who wants to get off drugs.

This was the view of Whately this morning

“This AFL system appears built to ensure no player with an illicit substance in their system takes the field, thus the integrity of the game isn’t compromised by a performance enhancing substance.

“And a player isn’t left exposed to the four-year ban under the WADA code. The cup test sees to that.

“Until today it looked like only the likes of Bailey Smith and Jack Ginnivan felt the consequences of the illicit drug code.

“If you’re caught cold and you embarrass the brand you get a two-game ban.

“But if you had an illicit substance in your system in the lead up to a game you were banned from playing. And it was called a hamstring.

“The AFL will need to fully explain why this is appropriate and necessary and why it isn’t as clandestine as it was made to sound in Parliament last night.”

Apparently 100 players on drugs atm.....free to indulge, keeping "images/reputations clean", AFL and theirs, no consequences, no strikes and life goes on.....because the public didn't know.

..but we do now guys.

Hypocrites the lot of them. I'm not sure I believe the coaches didn't know either.

Like it or not, drugs are illegal. Therefor if a player gets caught he should miss a few games and be given a warning and offered help. Get caught a second time, the CONSEQUENCES are they are dropped from the list and out the door. They had their chance. Choose to be responsible and have a career or choose drugs.

Their choice.

Decisive and dealt with. No pandering to the pampered, well paid spoilt brats who know they can get away with it, so indulge while the footy season is in play. Just might stop another impressionable young player from getting caught up in drugs..

...and I don't care who it is, same rule for all.

I'm a strong believer in taking responsibility for and the consequences of one's actions

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back