Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Theyve tried a few alternatives but come back to the MCG.

Any other suggestions ?

I Have one from left field - continue the cover over the rail lines near fed square - shove a nice cricket oval on it- put a nice grandstand backed up to the fed square buildings. it could also be an alternate venue for big screens when fed square is overwhelmed by the crowds - its not too far from the MCG. its overlooked by buildings on flinders st - would have nice atmosphere with the parklands in the other vista
It would be purely cricket or demonstation sports - no AFL etc

it could be Melbourne's village green

The SK Warne Oval?
Jones was on radio, in Melbourne, this morning. He didn't like the idea of the footy season creeping into the cricket season, at the expense of playing cricket. While he recognised the financial benefits footy provides, he asked "What's the name of the ground?", referring to the MCG. It was a polite way of saying the AFL to p*** off from the MCG in March. I agree with him. Hence, disagree there's the need for alternative venue to play cricket

Cricket Victoria have already headed down this road by having it's centre of excellence and many 2xd XI and Women's matches out at Central Reserve at Glen Waverley, the former home of Waverley in the VFA. I noticed Jones didn't mention that (or because of the amout of time he spends in India, doesn't know about it).

I believe there should be other grounds for state level cricket. Would be nice to see them in regional areas as they are VICTORIA, not Melbourne.
But mostly because i have been to a few Sheffield Shield games at the G and having 100 people in a 100k stadium is the worst atmosphere imaginable.

I believe there should be other grounds for state level cricket. Would be nice to see them in regional areas as they are VICTORIA, not Melbourne.
But mostly because i have been to a few Sheffield Shield games at the G and having 100 people in a 100k stadium is the worst atmosphere imaginable.
It is important, however, for Shield games to be played at Test venues. It helps the up and coming players to have played at a venue before they play there at international level.
I'm all for games going to the regions, so long as no side plays in a regional part of a state twice in a row. (eg The Vic v SA Shield game would have to be at the MCG every second year at worst but two to three of Vic's five home games each season could be outside Melbourne.)

At the redeveloped 25,000 seat Junction Oval? :D
Yes, but who is paying for the redevelopment? The Vic government is not throwing around the cash. Maybe if the AFL so desperately wants it they can put up the money to redevlop the Junction Oval.

Also begs the question if the AFL want to start the season two weeks earlier how will they deal with the Adelaide Oval, SCG & Gabba? All pose the same logistical issues. This would leave only Docklands, Subiaco, Olympic Park and York Park.

Yes, but who is paying for the redevelopment? The Vic government is not throwing around the cash. Maybe if the AFL so desperately wants it they can put up the money to redevlop the Junction Oval.

Also begs the question if the AFL want to start the season two weeks earlier how will they deal with the Adelaide Oval, SCG & Gabba? All pose the same logistical issues. This would leave only Docklands, Subiaco, Olympic Park and York Park.

Theres also the gold coast and showgrounds - but isnt that in other use over easter ?

Nine games in 5 stadiums ? might not work

Theres also the gold coast and showgrounds - but isnt that in other use over easter ?

Nine games in 5 stadiums ? might not work
Forgot Metricon. Skoda would be off limits due to the Easter show and the work done in setting up for it. Actually would also have Kardina Park as they've moved the cricket club off the ground.

Could be possible, but can't see the fans really liking it.

AFL also needs to think about 2015 in a big way. World T20 Cup in Australia with the final to be in last week of March. That would mean all cricket grounds off limits for first two rounds.

Yes, but who is paying for the redevelopment? The Vic government is not throwing around the cash. Maybe if the AFL so desperately wants it they can put up the money to redevlop the Junction Oval

+Hobart, Canberra, Darwin, Cairns, Geelong, Gold Coast

They're talking, specifically, about the Shield final. I don't want to see that played at Waverley or the Junction oval or Bunyip. It should be played at the home of Victorian cricket - the MCG.

As far as I'm concerned the AFL starts in the last weekend of March. If they want to bring it forward 2 weeks, and Vic are hosting the shield final, they can go play in Waverley, the Junction oval or Bunyip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're talking, specifically, about the Shield final. I don't want to see that played at Waverley or the Junction oval or Bunyip. It should be played at the home of Victorian cricket - the MCG.

As far as I'm concerned the AFL starts in the last weekend of March. If they want to bring it forward 2 weeks, and Vic are hosting the shield final, they can go play in Waverley, the Junction oval or Bunyip.

I agree in principle but I would much rather go watch a Sheffield Shield Final at a place with less than 95,000 empty seats. This is coming from a cricket fan who has been to many Sheffield Shield matches and although the games themselves are played at a high standard, I have felt better atmosphere at a 3 year olds birthday party.

+Hobart, Canberra, Darwin, Cairns, Geelong, Gold Coast
Added Metricon and Kardina Park after Pess's comment

Bellerive Oval in Hobart is not available for the same reason as the others.
Cairns is also a cricket ground.

Not sure what the usage is on Manuka though.

Can't see them wanting to play matches for premiership points in Darwin at that time of year due to the weather, likely to be 30C with 99% humidity. Could cause a problem if a cyclone is in the area when the match is scheduled. Cairns would also fall under this banner.

Forgot Metricon. Skoda would be off limits due to the Easter show and the work done in setting up for it. Actually would also have Kardina Park as they've moved the cricket club off the ground.

Could be possible, but can't see the fans really liking it.

AFL also needs to think about 2015 in a big way. World T20 Cup in Australia with the final to be in last week of March. That would mean all cricket grounds off limits for first two rounds.

From the semi final on you only need two or three grounds (ANZ, MCG for certain and possibly one of the Gabba/Adelaide/Burswood if complete). T20 world cup is either going to use the SCG or ANZ not both for the finals. So the AFL would have access to one or the other. IF they use the Gabba the Lions can be scheduled for Metricon in a pinch.

Either way, Footy Park (the SANFL have already said they plan to maintain it at 40k) and Subiaco (assuming the WAFL doesnt demolish straight away and the Perth stadium is complete) will still exist in 2015, Etihad will still be an AFL ground. The Final wont be anywhere outside of the MCG and ANZ Stadium, which would likely make the SCG available in any case.

Added Metricon and Kardina Park after Pess's comment

Bellerive Oval in Hobart is not available for the same reason as the others.
Cairns is also a cricket ground.

Not sure what the usage is on Manuka though.

Can't see them wanting to play matches for premiership points in Darwin at that time of year due to the weather, likely to be 30C with 99% humidity. Could cause a problem if a cyclone is in the area when the match is scheduled. Cairns would also fall under this banner.
Manuka is used for cricket, but obviously is not a Shield final candidate. It is used by the AFL for pre-season games, so presumably passes the safety test despite the hardness and sparsity of grass on the pitch square.

Either way, Footy Park (the SANFL have already said they plan to maintain it at 40k) and Subiaco (assuming the WAFL doesnt demolish straight away and the Perth stadium is complete) will still exist in 2015, Etihad will still be an AFL ground. The Final wont be anywhere outside of the MCG and ANZ Stadium, which would likely make the SCG available in any case.
Cosndiering that both Adelaide clubs are being screwed massively by SANFL at Footy Park can't see them wanting to get back into bed with them. One year though doesn't sort out the ongoing problem that will exist every year.

Cosndiering that both Adelaide clubs are being screwed massively by SANFL at Footy Park can't see them wanting to get back into bed with them. One year though doesn't sort out the ongoing problem that will exist every year.

I believe Shield cricket is planned to be moved off Adelaide Oval, Ive heard Glenelg mentioned in recent times.

The current proposals see Football control the Ground for 7 months and cricket for just 5. This is either March - September or April - October. The latter of which is likely to be true given the SANFL grand final is traditionally the week after the AFL one.

I believe Shield cricket is planned to be moved off Adelaide Oval, Ive heard Glenelg mentioned in recent times.

The current proposals see Football control the Ground for 7 months and cricket for just 5. This is either March - September or April - October. The latter of which is likely to be true given the SANFL grand final is traditionally the week after the AFL one.
Definitely heard the 7/5 split, also heard a rumour that it was from after 3rd week March to 3rd week in October to allow for possible drawn GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back