Aaron Piersol disqualified - pending appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

DaveW

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Adelaide
Won the 200m backstroke in a canter.

Gets disqualified. Apparently for crossing the lane rope before the final swimmer had finished.

Technical in the extreme.

Ouch.

Deserves to be DQed for being such an idiot. Every swimmer knows that rule. Just like that Aussie relay team that jumped into the pool at the Commonwealth Games or Worlds, whatever it was.

The latest news is that Peirsol (I got the spelling right this time) will be reinstated with his gold medal.

A win for common sense.

I guess the Americans were more persuasive than the Australians at the world championships.

acg - I don't think idiocy should be a gold medal stripping offence. ;)

acg_204* said:
Should be ;)

Didn't see the event and since he was reinstated, obviously didn't commit the crime. I apologise Aaron. :p
When you see it you'll understand why everyone is screaming "bull********!" at the lane rope thing. He didn't jump over it into the next lane or anything like that, was just hanging on to it but the guy way over in lane 1 hadn't finished yet.

The technicality was overridden by another technicality. :D

The cynic in me says that they were just looking for an out to avoid the backlash.

Has nothing to do with a fu(k!ing lane rope....that was Peirsols explanation to Perkins...Bruce took the ball and ran with it, moron that he is, while he was dribbling on you could here the arena annoucer say he was DQ'd for an illegal turn at the 150m mark...freestyle kick apparently!

And whoever said that he was reinstated to avoid the backlash is right on the money IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back