garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
Hubbing hasn’t affected a number of teams with good cultures, so should the last 2 years be used as a good reason for WC to trial hubbing as an antidote to our perennial travel whinging?

Doing for example, a 3 game block in Melbourne and a 2 game block in either of Qld or NSW’s each year, would dramatically cut air and bus travel time and innumerable hours waiting at airports etc.

Recovery would be assisted after at least 3 of the away games and solid blocks of games at home can only further assist our ability to run out a season (something that has clearly been an issue the last 3 seasons).

Won‘t happen but makes sense!

Hubbing hasn’t affected a number of teams with good cultures, so should the last 2 years be used as a good reason for WC to trial hubbing as an antidote to our perennial travel whinging?

Doing for example, a 3 game block in Melbourne and a 2 game block in either of Qld or NSW’s each year, would dramatically cut air and bus travel time and innumerable hours waiting at airports etc.

Recovery would be assisted after at least 3 of the away games and solid blocks of games at home can only further assist our ability to run out a season (something that has clearly been an issue the last 3 seasons).

Won‘t happen but makes sense!
The idea of setting up a Melbourne base for 3-4 weeks per year as been floated on these boards in the past, but been shot down on the basis of time away from home, etc. Recent events have shown that such a situation is not detrimental, if a club has the right mindset. So yeah, why not?

The players sulk when they feel rain and conditions don’t suit.. imagine telling some of the mommy boys that for no reason we are going to stay away from home for a few weeks… they would probably go on strike….

If the last two years have shown anything gutsing something out and working through adversity isnt in this clubs dna.

The players sulk when they feel rain and conditions don’t suit.. imagine telling some of the mommy boys that for no reason we are going to stay away from home for a few weeks… they would probably go on strike….

If the last two years have shown anything gutsing something out and working through adversity isnt in this clubs dna.
I think its more their partners would kick up a stink. Esoecially if they have kids.

3 straight games in Melbourne. It equates to 2.5 weeks away from home for the cost of one return flight. Maybe even throw in an obligatory Tassie game on the end of it for 3.5 weeks on the road. I don't see why not. Will give us the equivalent time at home during another part of the season.

If the Bulldogs can keep winning on the road and going through quarantine, testing, etc, I don't see why the proposed format isn't feasible for us in 'normal' times (whatever that even is anymore).

3 straight games in Melbourne. It equates to 2.5 weeks away from home for the cost of one return flight. Maybe even throw in an obligatory Tassie game on the end of it for 3.5 weeks on the road. I don't see why not. Will give us the equivalent time at home during another part of the season.

If the Bulldogs can keep winning on the road and going through quarantine, testing, etc, I don't see why the proposed format isn't feasible for us in 'normal' times (whatever that even is anymore).
Always thought the eagles should use cash to set up a center in melbourne for rehab, medical treatment locally (better) etc, etc

You wouldn't have to do more than two-game eastern seaboard stints I reckon. A Sunday game one week followed by a Saturday game the next puts us away from home for ten nights (1st Thu to 2nd Sat). Do that twice in the season and you've knocked out four of the ten games we'll play outside of WA and they become mini (controlled) bonding sessions for the boys).

Any hubbing burns the Mon-Thursday nights that would be spent with family/kids/downtime with friends in Perth going out for dinner or watching a movie etc... makes the club a hard sell if you are going to take that away from prospective FA's or retaining players.

If they are going to do it it probably needs to be 2 or 3 weeks maximum off a short break. Something like playing our late Sunday game over there as well as an early Saturday game the following week.

As someone who used to travel semi-regularly for work - long stints would be a pain and have sub optimal results IMO.

I could see a 2 week, 3 game stretch working - but i reckon your win rate in that final game would be poor - you would already have your eye on home.

The upside of course is far less flights and more continuous time at home.

The alternative option is hit and runs. That seemed to work for a few clubs as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it makes a lot of sense

1 x 2.5 week hub in vic. knock off 3 games. You're getting it back on the other side where you don't have to travel.

Fly out on a friday, play Sunday, Saturday and then Friday night fly back that night or Saturday morning. You're away for about 15days. If you did the 3 matches separately you're still away for around 3x3days so only 6 extra days away from the family.

I;d even do a Qld, NSW hub so 2 games in a week and fly back. That's 5 away games for a total of 5 flights (vic x 2, 1xqld, 1xnsw & 1xqld->nsw). Players get some bonding time and also get to string some home games in a row.
Wouldn't be too taxing on families. Heaps of well paid jobs have some travel and if you're doing a small defined hub once or twice a year it'd be quite good. It will also allow those from Vic to bring their families/visit friends and family a bit more too.

I think we remain an okay traveling team, hubs and horror grounds aside. Like with umpiring and booing, our supposed away record is one of those pejorative narratives that has clung to us, rightly or wrongly. The uncertainty over return and suddenness probably made the hubs worse, compared to just knowing how long and when. A narrative in 2018 was also the young fathers, and so naturally 2020-21 would be testing in that sense. Hublife would typically appear to suit younger teams imo. It felt like we were more of a home team in the Subiaco days, and that it was more of a house of pain, and whilst we play Optus well we do okay away compared to some times in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back