Convict

All Australian
Feb 22, 2004
St James Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle United F.C.
Im looking at buying a new computer. Im not an expert on buying and was browsing around the Dell website and saw some good deals.
Wondering if anybody has heard/know if they are any good? Never really bought much over the net before let alone a new computer :)
Any help appreciated

thanks.

I've heard differing reports about Dell, but the Dell machines I've worked with in the past (admittedly not recently) were reasonably well constructed and pretty reasonable quality for what you pay. Still with brand name computers you pay for what you get, so I don't know.

Originally posted by Zeke
Dell are the 'Dominos Pizza' of PC computers.

What did you do with the real Zeke? This is one of the few occasions his catchcry might have been appropriate.

Originally posted by Mr Q
[B

What did you do with the real Zeke? This is one of the few occasions his catchcry might have been appropriate. [/B]

have to agree there, even a mac will suffice, cos if you do have to get the mac repaired you can take it there yourself.

dell leaves you in the lurch either you have to get it sent back through the post, or chase up a dell service repairer or..

pray to hell you actually get your unit in the first case,

Dell are the 'Dominos Pizza' of PC computers.
And you having and using and liking so many PC's would be the perfect person to pass judgement, right?

Anyway FWIW, I can and have built many PC's in the past for many friends/relatives, but have a Dell laptop @ work for ~ 2 years now, and *touch wood* never had an issue with it, great machine.

My mother in law got a Dell desktop ~ 12 months ago (as I didnt want the hassle or ramifications of building her one!) and *touches alot of wood* (not like that u sick freaks) and once again been running 100% fine, not a single issue.

So my experience, never had a problem, high quality machines, good prices.

Take that as you will, or listen to a Mac loving zealot, your call.

I bought a Dell Dimension desktop about 3 months ago and so far had no problems at all. Mine's a fairly high end machine with pretty much all the bells and whistles which I couldn't have got for the price anywhere else. (Other than cheap clones).

Nicely built machine with quality cards, monitors etc. The worst part about Dell is the oem software that comes bundled instead of the original. E.g I've got a Radeon 9800 video card but only Dell software and none of the goodies that comes with the off the shelf version of the card.

I've also got a Compaq notebook which is rubbish and next notebook I buy will most likely be Dell. I'd recommend Dell although I haven't had do deal with tech support yet which I've heard mixed reports about. But I'm more that happy so far.

Originally posted by kuepper
And you having and using and liking so many PC's would be the perfect person to pass judgement, right?

Anyway FWIW, I can and have built many PC's in the past for many friends/relatives, but have a Dell laptop @ work for ~ 2 years now, and *touch wood* never had an issue with it, great machine.

My mother in law got a Dell desktop ~ 12 months ago (as I didnt want the hassle or ramifications of building her one!) and *touches alot of wood* (not like that u sick freaks) and once again been running 100% fine, not a single issue.

So my experience, never had a problem, high quality machines, good prices.

Take that as you will, or listen to a Mac loving zealot, your call.

I have personally used a Dell machine in a work environment, and have also witnessed family members experiences with Dell first hand. I am simply saying that there are better options available in a similar price range.

Get off your soap box.

Ive been looking around a lot. Im against buying any computers from retailers etc. Dell just seems to give me the best price for what they are selling. I am planning to buy a notebook from them anyway so atleast i got some good reports about them :)

Thanks for all the advice :)

Get off your soap box.
Coming from you whose inane, repetitive and generally peurile posts about Macs, that has to be the funniest thing I've ready on this site for a while.

Good for you.

Dell's reputation has improved over the last few years and are as good as choice as any brand-name. As mentioned before though, the issue of after-sales service can be a sticking point, although if you're happy to pay extra, they have some options for coming to you.

Personally I'd go elsewhere (no-name to be exact), but that's me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jim Boy
Dell's reputation has improved over the last few years and are as good as choice as any brand-name. As mentioned before though, the issue of after-sales service can be a sticking point, although if you're happy to pay extra, they have some options for coming to you.

perfect respone and agree 100 percent.

get one built upto your specifications but do your research on the builder/computer store

only brand name i ever owned was an amiga:D

I'm in the market for a laptop and was expressly told to get a Dell by my nephew who built my computer at home and whom obviously knows heaps about computers? Why no go?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

go with something that at least you know where it is when it gets serviced even at work we send brand names away to be fixed and your without a computer for an extended period of time.

go to a reputable dealer whho can build one for you or back it up with a decent warranty. if it can be serviced by techs on the premises even better cos at least youll know where the thing is when you get work done on it.

Originally posted by Tim the Toolman
I'm in the market for a laptop and was expressly told to get a Dell by my nephew who built my computer at home and whom obviously knows heaps about computers? Why no go?

Your nephew obviously had a bad experience, but any laptop can end up as a lemon. With laptops, always go with major brands and Dell's are generally good value for money as well as being as reliable as any other major brand. With any laptop you buy, if you have some major trouble, the laptop will normally have to be sent away, but at least with Dell, if you're willing to pay more upfront, they will come to you.

Personally, I don't go for laptops, as I am curious little ape and I will meddle with things. But when I've had to go with a laptop, I've gone second hand through www.laptop.com.au, who also give out 1 year guarantees.

I bought a Gateway pc the day before they announced that they where shutting their entire Australian operations. Had the pc for 3 years now, and started noticing its getting slow. Got onto Gateway international(live web chat with a technician in India) about upgrading my PC. Got told that my pc was so old, parts from, wait for it, 1994, that i couldn't upgrade my pc. I asked them why my pc i bought 3 years ago was fitted with internals that where 7 years old back then, and not the latest mobo etc? They informed me that Gateway had used old parts to build my system. They said they had to transfer me to another section who said that they could do me a deal, by buying the supposed latest pc from them. I informed them through my rapid typing that if they had fitted my pc 3 years ago with the then upto date internals as they where meant to have, then i wouldn't have to buy an entire new system now.

I finished the chat by informing them that i would never again by a Gateway pc, and thta i would worn, tell this story to anyone ever considering buying a new pc.

If only you could buy paragons, I have inherited 2 old paragons from work one in 1997 and another one now and they haven't missed a beep

Your nephew obviously had a bad experience, but any laptop can end up as a lemon. With laptops, always go with major brands and Dell's are generally good value for money as well as being as reliable as any other major brand. With any laptop you buy, if you have some major trouble, the laptop will normally have to be sent away, but at least with Dell, if you're willing to pay more upfront, they will come to you.

Nooo, quite the opposite - he recommended Dell so obviously has had a GOOD experience, swears by them!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back