Preview AFL 2017 - FW1 - Geelong v Richmond, Fri, 19:50 AEST, Sep 08, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are you kidding?

Rain, traffic, trains not working, Vic Roads to close a lane or two on the bridge... and not to mention its a Friday night with 90k at the G...

Be lucky to be full by 1/2 time. And you're naive enough to think it wont happen.

Go Catters

If it was at KP, there would be 10-15K cats fans there.....How many cats fans will be at the at the MCG?

Oh, and not all cats fans live in Geelong....

If it was at Geelong the member split would be 60 - 40 Richmond's way. Nobody's kidding anyone.

I have this feeling that Geelong fans think that if it was at KP, then it'd be like a HA game...Members getting their reserved seats, few opposition fans allowed, and their club getting the $$$.

In reality, the split would be something like 50/40/10 (R/G/neutral, AFL & sponsors) and the AFL gets every last cent.

Its easy to put the differentials up, how about looking at why?

Geelong is in the top few for contested possessions, so common sense will tell you you're more likely to get more free kicks.
We lead the league in tackles, so again, common sense tell you we will give away quite a few also (the most in the league actually!).

Richmond are a middle of the road side for contested possessions, and the same for free kicks for.
You are a middle of the road tackling team, but also have the most clangers and lowest disposal efficiency in the league, which no doubt add to free kicks against (like the 7 or 8 out on the full frees vs Geelong).

So, if Richmond are middle of the road in those categories, why are we so badly last in the Free kick count? If Geelong is so far on top in those areas, why are you only 11th best?

Geelong by 25+ for me. I think they outclass Richmond on every line: I would back their forwards vs Richmonds defence, their midfield way more than Richmonds, & their defenders to mitigate Richmonds forwards. Also Scott is a better coach. I have loaded up $50 on the line -4.5

Bookmark this...

No matter who wins.
Winner of this game will make the grand final.
Loser will go out in straight sets.

To add one final little point, The one who makes the grand final will be the runner up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decided to watch that, holy crap we were good! Unbelievably good! The current top 4 sides would get stomped by 150pts if they went back in time 10 years. The gap between that level of footy and the current is pathetic, millennials should be ashamed.

If Tigers win this they are really in the box seat to make the big one. A week off then face the either Port, WCE, GWS or Adelaide at the MCG.
You would have to give them a huge chance particularly if it´s Port, WCE, GWS

Decided to watch that, holy crap we were good! Unbelievably good! The current top 4 sides would get stomped by 150pts if they went back in time 10 years. The gap between that level of footy and the current is pathetic, millennials should be ashamed.

Any team would look bloody good when playing against a bunch of spuds like us in 2007

and frees for too :):thumbsu:[/QUOT
So, if Richmond are middle of the road in those categories, why are we so badly last in the Free kick count? If Geelong is so far on top in those areas, why are you only 11th best?

11th best what? If you're talking about differential it's entirely irrelevant. The free kick count doesn't need to be even. If you're a team that get to the ball second more of the time, as well as have the lowest disposal efficiency in the league then you're not going to be winning free kicks, you'll be giving them away.

11th best what? If you're talking about differential it's entirely irrelevant. The free kick count doesn't need to be even. If you're a team that get to the ball second more of the time, as well as have the lowest disposal efficiency in the league then you're not going to be winning free kicks, you'll be giving them away.
Is Geelong on top for total contested possessions or contested possession differential? If we're talking about validating stats, there's only so many contested possessions to win each game, and it's always different. What's better, winning contested possessions 140-130 or losing 150-160? Total CP suggests the loss is better.

Is it just me, or are Tigers supporters more worried about Geelong supporters on BF than the game?

Weird thread.

We camt control the game. We have seen three losses in a row, and frankly are looking down the barrel of two more

We could run around crying woe is us, and demanding heads roll. Or we could be good little buddhists and accept we can only control the controllable, so sweating the uncontrollable is a futile exercise

So we are enjoying our ride on the tiggy train while it lasts, and we will deal with its success or failure consequences afterwards.

Fwiw i still remember a hawks fan wanting rfc posters banned for trolling when they selected rfc to win, because only a troll would insult the hawks by suggesting they could lose to Richmond. Cats fans here are reminding me of that guy this week. And we aint apologising to you for wanting to win

Is Geelong on top for total contested possessions or contested possession differential? If we're talking about validating stats, there's only so many contested possessions to win each game, and it's always different. What's better, winning contested possessions 140-130 or losing 150-160? Total CP suggests the loss is better.

Geelong are in the top few for contested possessions. And I'm not saying that it's definitive, but I would suspect that the more contested possessions your team wins throughout the year, would mean you have a better chance of winning more free kicks, getting to the ball first.

Geelong also gave the highest amount of tackles, so that would also lead to us winning free kicks but also giving away a lot for bad tackles.

The fact Richmond hasn't had the amount of contested possessions we have, as well as having the lowest disposal efficiency in the league could explain why you're not winning as many frees and giving away a lot.

Like I said, it's a simplistic look at things based on a years worth of total stats.

But that would be like suggesting the free kick differential is a more accurate stat than free kicks won...and as I have been told time and time again by Richmond fans the inverse in true.

I do agree with you though.

That's when Geelong clicked. I believe the few games prior to that they weren't great, then they just arrived. Rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back