Autopsy AFL 2017 - R6 - What have you liked, learnt or hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

I learnt Sydney are flying under the radar.
Crashing into the ground isn't flying per se...

Liked: Oliver realising he wasn't up to his lofty norm and piling on 15 touches in the final term.
No Dees injuries.

Hated: third man up rule is stupid due to the nomination.

Learnt: Crows will not lose at AO.

I have to ask, how does it feel? Obviously Sydney have been up for so long, this would be such a strange feeling for you. I'm guessing winning a spoon wouldn't hurt as much as losing a Grand Final for instance? And I'm not taking the piss or being a smartass, I'm interested how you feel, considering it was sort of unexpected and a new experience for Sydney. Do you expect a form turn-around? Where do you see yourself finishing?
The collapse is so spectacularly huge and unexpected that it's verging on the surreal, and consequently I for one am handling it better than I would have thought. I mean, you can only laugh, really.

But maybe I'm kidding myself.

A lot depends on how long the slump lasts. If this is actually long-term and not just a bizarre interlude, it's going to be very interesting.

Liked: Blues winning, GWS v WB, Hawthorn getting thrashed.

Learnt: Clay Smith is Lance Whitnall slow, Josh Dunkley is a terrible kick for goal but the Bulldogs are a big chance for back to back.

Hated: Inconsistency of deliberate out of bounds rule

Liked; Collingwood beating Geelong. Crows dominance after quarter time.. wow unreal footy. PLLLLLLLEASE keep it going.
Hated; Brisbane not rocking up to the GABBA making port fans think that their side is good. Hated Toby Greene's gutless cheap shot on Daniel. North's treatment of Ablett.. no need to boo Gaz.. Toby Greene deserves that for the rest of his career for the type of player/bloke he is but no Gaz.
Learn't; Sydney are cooked.. I did the ladder predictor last week and had them scarping in the 8.. not anymore.

Liked. Fire in the Doggies bellies again. Collingwood beating the Cats

Learnt: there's a plague where minor premiers become wooden spooners the next year. Wondering what will happen in 2018 for Adelaide if their form continues

Hated: losing because of poor kicking for goal. Greene' fist on Daniel (wouldn't you know he'd manage to get around that helmet). Booing Gaz (and booing Buddy other than when he is doing a set shot for goal--seems to happen every game when he gets the pill. WTF people. It's not gonna throw him off his game and he and Gaz both deserve more respect than that)

Liked:
- The powerhouse teams of recent times all spudding it up and sitting at the bottom.
- Crows consistency. Have only seen quarters of crap football so far, no full games.
- Rory Sloane. Absolute freak. Didnt even play the last 10 minutes...
- Gazza shoving it up the early doomsdayers. One of the great games of the modern era.
- Hearing the umpires talk to Greene on Friday night. Exactly what should happen. If they know there are blokes out there sniping, they should be watched extra closely.

Disliked:
- Some of the umpiring...but also I disliked the Friday night commentary crew going on about shocker deliberate decisions. Out of the ones they picked only the stringer one was wrong. Boyd one he deliberately kicked it to the boundary with 3 giants and no bulldogs anywhere near. The fletcher roberts one you can never call, when someone is trying to pick it up whilst on the ground right on the line (even though we all know he wanted it out). The stringer one was just an umpire never having played the game. Why would he ever want to kick it virtually backwards out of bounds. And the one with Greene there was a player right on the line, that should never be called. So 3/4 of them were called correctly.
- The tighter call on throws, except they seemed to get the wrong ones every time.
- Booing of Gaz. What the actual ****. Seriously if any bloke deserves to never be booed its Ablett.
- Greenes punch. Put a black mark on a ripper match.

Learned:
- Crows are pretty good
- Port are the 2nd best team in the comp right now IMO.
- Buckley still has a pulse
- Dogs Giants rivalry will be the new version of geelong hawthorn

Last edited:
Learned: Adelaide are the most resilent club in the comp bar none with the way their club can lose key players and still bounce back
Liked: The win no matter how
Hated: Not much; oh yeah wait. Suck it up you MLP princesses. Booing happens in a lot of sports.

Liked: Manuka on Friday night for our first Friday night game. Great atmosphere. We didn't play well but banked the 4 points and move on to the Saints next week.

Learnt: Richmond can play good footy, their first QTR was brilliant. Like us they couldn't sustain it against the Crows who really are awesome.

Hated: Another bad experience with Bulldogs fans post game at Manuka, abuse in a hotel lobby this time.There is theme with them and feral behaviour in my experience. It may be it's just irrational hatred of my club and many of our supporters have reported similar from the PF. It is disgraceful though.

Well, that's disappointing to hear but unfortunately few clubs are immune from having a very small minority of "supporters" who blacken the name of the club. The majority of fans know it's only a game and wound never resort to abusing another set of fans in such a situation.

I'm genuinely not trying to troll when I say that coming from a small fan base GWS probably hasn't experienced much of that with their own. Give it time, eventually you'll hear similar stories from opposition fans about GWS supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game next to two GWS supporters who one disclosed is ex Swan, they were obnoxious to the point my mild and calm other half started getting annoyed, and he never gets annoyed.
GWS are lucky that they have a rivalry building with the Bulldogs, it is actually the only spontaneous and natural occurrence about GWS at the moment.

I'm loving the rivalry.
Helps you're both 'West' teams too, will add to the battle each time.

Liked - 1st quarter in Adelaide
Learnt - we really need a big man capable of playing fwd. we can match any side however need to do it for more than a quarter, young kids will get better.
Hated - quarters 2-4. Picking geelong in my lastman standing comp with only 3 people left in it.

liked - dogs taking a game seriously and not like a jlt practice match
learnt - injuries are going to cost dogs top 4 .... AGAIN
hated - umpires across the round. the game has become basketball like, toby green is dirty prick. and goal kicking, if you dont capitalize on momentum then you will be punished

Liked - Rory Sloane (ADE) and Nick Haynes (GWS)
Learnt - WCE are superstars in Perth
Hated - Overall good week of footy, not much to hate except for Q1 umpiring in Derby and booing of GAJ.

like; That is now 6 wins from their last 8 games for Collingwood against Geelong since 2012 which shows how much this
game is played above the shoulders despite Geelong being a better team than Collingwood.

Liked: Our etihad hoodoo is dead, old school Gazza numbers.
Learnt: Recruiting Hibberd somewhat eases the pain of recruiting Melksham.
Hated: Our white clash strip.

Look at all the snow flakes virtue signalling. GAJ is a big boy. I'm sure he can handle being boo'd. Whilst I'm not a fan of it I'm pretty sure half of you were fighting for your right to boo not that long ago. Maybe, just maybe, he is getting boo'd because he routinely pants' us. While it may be a pointless exercise I'm pretty sure North fans, at that point, were willing to try anything to help the team. They could sacrifice a virgin to the footy god, but considering that is GAJ's father there was probably more chance of putting him off with boos. Cry me a river.

Liked: North. Finally. See what happens when you drop the players holding us back?

Learnt: Rory Sloanes middle name will soon be Charlie.

Hated: first half Dons v Dees. Seasons started boys. Sharpen up.

Liked: Adelaide's game V Tigers. Clearly the best team in the comp at the minute.
Learned: The ladder looks upside down at first glance.
Hated: Eagles fans booing Aaron Sandilands and his 6-month-old daughter as they were about to run through the banner. Classless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back