AFL 2023 funding

Remove this Banner Ad

So should the Australian government send a few billion dollars to the Greeks every year for inventing democracy? What about sending the British money for inventing the English language (some would need to go to the French too)?
I wouldn't

So at least measure it off the net revenue impact, not the gross. If a club was to disappear, then clearly whilst that would impact TV rights, it's also going to make the competition cheaper to run.
Well yeah, that’s why I’m saying let every club sell their own tv rights, and after that the clubs that were taking more from the AFL than what they bring into the AFL wouldn’t be able to afford to stay in. That’s what other want, to cull off clubs. I’m saying majority of the clubs “funding from the AFL” is less than what earn for the AFL.
Maybe marginally, but if you took the 10 old VFL clubs away from the AFL and formed their own league, you'd be lucky to get a third of what the AFL currently gets. And the remaining 8 clubs wouldn't get anywhere near the difference.
Marginally? I’m not quite sure about that, look anywhere in the world and can see sports tv money has gone through the roof. TV ratings in Victoria wouldn’t drop off at all. With every game an all Vic clash the average ratings in Victoria would likely go up. Comparing now to the 80’s is ridiculous, majority of rounds had every game was played at the same time on Saturday afternoon, Friday nights weren’t played every week, Saturday nights weren’t played, sundays weren’t a regular game until the late 80’s. Games weren’t even shown live on tv.
Now they would play Friday night, 1:10 Saturday, 4:30 Saturday, Saturday night and a Sunday game. No game would be played at the same time, like now Melbourne vs West coast and St Kilda vs Brisbane played at the same time would split the viewers, Melbourne vs St Kilda would have the 100% of the viewers.
By the way no one is calling for an all Victorian league.

Agree with this. It's a balancing act isn't it, holding on to the traditional clubs with over 100 years of history at the highest level and expanding the competition to a ridiculous number of teams.
Unsure if you're being facetious lol,

But 100 years of being s**t in the case of the Saints, would be absolutely fine if they weren't also getting sustained financially by the AFL. The Vic clubs shouldn't get culled no, but you'd think after a 100 years all of them should be well established entities that don't need the help. But they do.

Good players have come from the NT and Tas, absolutely if they ran potential teams with a wider focus on better returns for the game overall rather than they be profitable to operate, it would benefit the game (something they've assumed responsibility for rightly or wrongly).

Well yeah, that’s why I’m saying let every club sell their own tv rights, and after that the clubs that were taking more from the AFL than what they bring into the AFL wouldn’t be able to afford to stay in. That’s what other want, to cull off clubs. I’m saying majority of the clubs “funding from the AFL” is less than what earn for the AFL.

Marginally? I’m not quite sure about that, look anywhere in the world and can see sports tv money has gone through the roof. TV ratings in Victoria wouldn’t drop off at all. With every game an all Vic clash the average ratings in Victoria would likely go up. Comparing now to the 80’s is ridiculous, majority of rounds had every game was played at the same time on Saturday afternoon, Friday nights weren’t played every week, Saturday nights weren’t played, sundays weren’t a regular game until the late 80’s. Games weren’t even shown live on tv.
Now they would play Friday night, 1:10 Saturday, 4:30 Saturday, Saturday night and a Sunday game. No game would be played at the same time, like now Melbourne vs West coast and St Kilda vs Brisbane played at the same time would split the viewers, Melbourne vs St Kilda would have the 100% of the viewers.
By the way no one is calling for an all Victorian league.

I'm not suggesting that either, i'm just making the point that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back