Opinion AFL 2023 Round 20 - Liked, learnt, hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Collingwood vs Carlton on Friday was the blockbuster we all expected, but I loved the two games on Saturday afternoon that went down to the wire as the Giants mounted a huge comeback and the Dockers staged a mega upset in Geelong. Pity the two games overlapped because they were beauties.

Learnt - I genuinely have no idea who will make finals. The top 4 look safe enough but there are only two games separating 5th and 15th. Wowee.

Hated - Buddy’s injury. Hopefully it really is just tightness and we see him again before the season is done. Would be a very sad end if he’s played his last game.

Liked: Petty - van Rooyen combination. We always new Petty could take a pack mark, good to see him do it. Also liked Carlton's game.
Hated: Umpiring in every game that I watched (Looking at you, you bald headed ...)
And worst of worst, Ch7 commentators, can they please just shut up?
Learned: Nuffen.

LOVE (and lots of it!!):
  • Mighty Saints and beautiful Melbourne Demons HIGHEST SCORING teams of the week!
  • Zayne Dorko sooking about a "squirrel grip" from Touk Miller... come off it Zayne! Everyone knows you don't have any balls!!!
  • Fremantle fluking a win but staying in the bottom 4. Top 5 picky still looking good for King Jason Taylor!!'
  • Kelli Underwood does Kellie Underwood commentary!!!
LEARNED:
  • South Australians don't know what concussion is :moustache:
HATED:
  • Having to wait until Monday morning to post in this thread!!!

Liked
  • Saints over bigtime Hawker
  • GWS Giants - the Big Big sound
  • Docker
  • Gold Coast
  • Swans
  • WC Eagles
Learnt
How hard tipping is

HATED:
  • Having to wait until Monday morning to post in this thread!!!
sorry barack obama GIF by NowThis

Liked- Saints win and the Big, Big Sound's comeback
Learnt- Cats are not that good this year
Hated- The Lance Franklin injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - Carltons dominance
Learnt - despite Carltons dominance, pies supporters believing that they were the better team and had they kicked straight and Curnow not gifted free kicks , then they would have won. So , have learnt that the collingwood fc is in fact the English cricket team in disguise
Hated - the dissent rule. Cmon umps harden up a bit.

Liked: Tigers Dees game. Really quality match that the umps mostly stayed out of until half time. Unfortunately...

Hated: 9 frees to 1 in the second half to Melbourne I believe. Included a couple of horrendously soft 50m penalties to gift goals. Old wobbly-lips Petty talking trash. You can't sook it up on field because of sledging, and then give it to other guys.

Learnt: Gawn is a gun, but for a big guy he goes down pretty easily to milk an aforementioned 50. But zero chance he got cited for staging.

Liked: Tigers Dees game. Really quality match that the umps mostly stayed out of until half time. Unfortunately...

Hated: 9 frees to 1 in the second half to Melbourne I believe. Included a couple of horrendously soft 50m penalties to gift goals. Old wobbly-lips Petty talking trash. You can't sook it up on field because of sledging, and then give it to other guys.
It was 8-2 free kicks, Richmonds way in the first half lol. So pretty much the same, you guys just didn't notice it because it was in the first half rather than the end of the game.

Also Free kick count doesn't mean s**t, they're not there to be distributed evenly. Both teams might get some soft frees or bad non calls throughout the game but it evens out.
Imagine if Shau Bolton throws the ball (which he did) and the umps go "aww yeah we'll let that go because Melbourne have too many frees already" that'd be just ridiculous.

Its honestly embarrassing listening to Tigers supporters talk about umpires and the grand conspiracy against them. Biggest sooks in the league.
You're players just need to be disciplined more if they're giving away that many free kicks

Last edited:
It was 8-2 free kicks, Richmonds way in the first half lol. So pretty much the same, you guys just didn't notice it because it was in the first half rather than the end of the game.

Also Free kick count doesn't mean s**t, they're not there to be distributed evenly. Both teams might get some soft frees or bad non calls throughout the game but it evens out.
Imagine if Shau Bolton throws the ball (which he did) and the umps go "aww yeah we'll let that go because Melbourne have too many frees already" that'd be just ridiculous.

Its honestly embarrassing listening to Tigers supporters talk about umpires and the grand conspiracy against them. Biggest sooks in the league.
You're players just need to be disciplined more if they're giving away that many free kicks
No conspiracy, consistently on the bottom of the free kick differential ladder for the last 6 years. Also when teams play us they magically give away far less free kicks than they do against any other opponent, regardless of when we're good or bad.

I'm sure you were chuffed when you got gifted multiple goals from dubious frees and 50s.

No conspiracy, consistently on the bottom of the free kick differential ladder for the last 6 years. Also when teams play us they magically give away far less free kicks than they do against any other opponent, regardless of when we're good or bad.

I'm sure you were chuffed when you got gifted multiple goals from dubious frees and 50s.
I wasn't chuffed when it was 8-2 in the first half Richmond's way, but hey that's footy and I certainly didn't think there was some AFL conspiracy against us.

You've got 2 options with this
1: The AFL is against Richmond and has told the umpires to make a negative free kick difference. That is a conspiracy btw

2. Your players aren't disciplined enough and need to stop being so clumsy and giving away free kicks

Pick one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back