Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 11 - Dogs v Swans Thu May 23rd 7:30pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If the umpiring in the 2012 GF was widely and officially recognised to be substandard, you’d have a point.

I think you’re arguing with the wrong guy.
Not much different to the 2016 game but the Swans won so I guess it’s not worth crying about.

If it was a gifted premiership, it was gifted to us by your lot.
Ain’t gonna to win a flag when your entire team s**t the bed for 4 quarters except for Kennedy.
We shit the bed against hawks and cats. They earned their victories. Bravo to them.

However, I've never experienced more blatantly biased umpiring in any game in my life than 2016 and in a Grand Final of all games.

And I think it's fantastic neutral supporters have overcome this fairytale narrative and used their own eyeballs to recognize how obvious the bias was.

As far as accusing people like me of being salty and loving my tears etc. You can chirp all you want, history will remember it as a corrupt Grand Final.

And 15 seconds before that, there was a clear free to the Swans not paid. Yawn.
I assume for years afterwards West Coast fans brought it up at every opportunity and refused to let it go, right? Right?

Who knows? Any change in a decision completely changes the chain of events after it. I'm comfortable enough to say that the umpiring greatly advantaged one side. I'd like to think that I don't whinge about umps much. Teams should make their own luck but there was just a series of clangers and non-calls in that match that stood out like a sore thumb.

It’s widely (and officially) accepted that the umpiring was substandard.

Were the umpiring up to standard, it’s very possible the Dogs would have won regardless.

But yes, it’s without doubt if the umpiring was up to standard the game would have proceeded in a very different direction and yes, the result quite likely would have been different.

A team going nearly two and a half quarters without getting a single free kick is more than just a freakish statistical anomaly.

Oh boo ******* hoo. How about waiting 72 years?

And it's not a 'story,' it's just the truth.

We s**t the bed against hawks and cats. They earned their victories. Bravo to them.

However, I've never experienced more blatantly biased umpiring in any game in my life than 2016 and in a Grand Final of all games.

And I think it's fantastic neutral supporters have overcome this fairytale narrative and used their own eyeballs to recognize how obvious the bias was.

As far as accusing people like me of being salty and loving my tears etc. You can chirp all you want, history will remember it as a corrupt Grand Final.

Lollll

You’ll never catch a Swannies supporter mentioning how we went up to Sydney and beat them on their own home ground in Round 15 in 2016.

They couldn’t beat us up there on their mud heap and they certainly couldn’t beat us at the G. We also beat them up there in 2015 (was a big moment on our team’s ride to the flag, thanks for playing your part Swannies) and rolled them by 4 goals again in Rd 2 in 2017. If they were the better side they probably should have beaten us on their home ground in 2016, but they couldn’t because they weren’t.

The boring reality for the Swannies is the winner of the Dogs v Giants PF was always winning the next week. Once the Swannies beat the Cats, it was only going to be a Dogs or Giants flag in 2016. We won the PF and the rest was history. Thanks again for playing your part Swannies.

I remember going to the Swannies v Cats PF and hoping the Swannies would win. The Cats would have been a tougher opponent for us that year. I just felt like we really had the Swans measure, much like I felt like we had the Hawks in the SF.

Things certainly wouldn’t have been any better for the Swannies had GWS won the prelim. GWS flogged them by 7 goals in Rd 12 and 6 goals in the QF.

IMO I find it staggering some Swannies supporters actually think they should have won a flag in a year they lost two finals by a combined 58 points.

If the GF had gone for another 10 minutes and we kept piling on goals it probably would have been better for their supporters because the 22 point margin made it feel closer than the result actually was.

Lastly: Shane Biggs. Never Forget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I've actually watched that game twice, which is unbelievable for me,” Hannebery said.

“I don't care which way you paint it, but some of the direct free kick goals were extraordinary.

“I've slowed it down, in this day and age, now the way the game is umpired - I'm going to say we almost win the game.

“(Late in the third quarter) Dane Rampe got tackled for one second, got a handball away, but he got holding the ball and it ended in a free kick goal. It was unbelievable.

“It’s not that I want to blame the umpires because the Bulldogs, in every final they were unbelievable and looking back, they probably were the best team that year given how well they played in the finals series, they beat the Giants who were red hot in the Prelim.

“So, take nothing away from them. But looking at the game in its entirety, some of those free kick goals, wow.”

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this many pages in a Dogs-Swans match thread before the game has even started!

I’m sure all the posts before this one were on-topic and about tonight’s game, right?

…right??

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this many pages in a Dogs-Swans match thread before the game has even started!

I’m sure all the posts before this one were on-topic and about tonight’s game, right?

…right??

Yeah nothing to do with umpiring 8 years ago 🤣🤣🤣

…right??
There's a game on?

Convenient that Hannebery forgot to mention that the subsequent 'free kick goal' was from a completely different free kick to the one against Rampe (which happened on the wing), when he clipped Clay Smith over the shoulder himself in front of goals. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

1716419837122.png

There's a game on?
In memory of our old mate TedDougChris

Im Not No Way GIF

A bit of spice for a home and away match is beautiful to see.

I re-submit my tip.

Swans by 60.

Back