afl canberra 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if the aflcanberra website is the last word, but as of now they have 4th grade teams playing at the corresponding 3rd grade home ground.
So ADFA v Ansile in 3rd grade at ADFA and Golburn v ADFA in 4th grade also at ADFA (so the lower ranked team getting home ground!)
Rather fortunately Woden finished 3rd in both grades and ANU 6th in both grades so no quirks there with both games at Footy Park.

For Prelims they have Molongolo and Yass at Stirling and Batemans Bay and Cooma in Batemans Bay.

I'm not sure if the aflcanberra website is the last word, but as of now they have 4th grade teams playing at the corresponding 3rd grade home ground.
So ADFA v Ansile in 3rd grade at ADFA and Golburn v ADFA in 4th grade also at ADFA (so the lower ranked team getting home ground!)
Rather fortunately Woden finished 3rd in both grades and ANU 6th in both grades so no quirks there with both games at Footy Park.

For Prelims they have Molongolo and Yass at Stirling and Batemans Bay and Cooma in Batemans Bay.

Seems a bit of an oversight to have community finals on the same day as 1s/2s/18s grand finals... Sure there'd be a few who'd be keen to get out to Manuka to watch that, being the marquee day of Canberra footy...

Seems a bit of an oversight to have community finals on the same day as 1s/2s/18s grand finals... Sure there'd be a few who'd be keen to get out to Manuka to watch that, being the marquee day of Canberra footy...

And just on this, thanks ADFA and Goulburn for facilitating the 3s fixture to be played at midday, ahead of the 4s game, on Sunday.

Cheers NovIsBack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the Bay have knocked off ADFA in the 3s too. Would they have played in a GF in the Canberra comp before?

Awesome games coming up this weekend. I reckon it should be a great day congrats to all teams involved. I think we will have the 2 best teams from all 3 grades competing.

Agreed.

Think Molonglo will win a close one in 3s, and Cooma to get home in the 4s...

Win or lose though, 2019 must be just about time for Yass to go up to 3s.

Nah. Win or lose they'll argue that there gonna struggle for numbers next year with Murrumbateman coming in... And you would think they probably will too. :cool:

No Yass player will be coming to Murrumbateman, there will be however a couple of past Roos playing who haven’t played this year anywhere . Yass have made it very clear that they don’t want to be aligned to the eagles as well . I do know however that there will some retirees win lose or draw from Yass . That said I believe they will be in threes next year and I expect they will be competitive without being a stand out . Sammy Campbell has done a wonderfull job this year in his first year of coaching , and I think he will keep them going next year . Good luck to everyone involved this weekend

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It may depend on number of teams. AFL Canberra have an even amount in both grades at the moment and with Queanbeyan coming into 3s and murrumbateman going into 4s they may want to keep Yass in 4s to get that “match day feel” for the clubs with 3 teams (3s,4s,Womens)

But that will all depend on what clubs nominate for what

I know the idea has been floated around before but what about a relegation system for the single team clubs? Top single team club from 4th grade on the ladder pushes up and the bottom single team club in 3's comes back.

I know the idea has been floated around before but what about a relegation system for the single team clubs? Top single team club from 4th grade on the ladder pushes up and the bottom single team club in 3's comes back.

Don't mind it in theory, but would make it hard for a team that goes up and down in consecutive seasons I reckon. Also doesn't seem fair on the likes of Coota who've put their hands up to play 3s, brought in a women's side etc.

It may depend on number of teams. AFL Canberra have an even amount in both grades at the moment and with Queanbeyan coming into 3s and murrumbateman going into 4s they may want to keep Yass in 4s to get that “match day feel” for the clubs with 3 teams (3s,4s,Womens)

But that will all depend on what clubs nominate for what
If that’s a reason for Yass to stay in fours then it’s wrong .How many grand finals in the last ten years has Yass played in ? Cats get asked every year to go the threes and this is there first grand final since winning the comp in 1984 .Yass have to go up

Hey all long time listener first time contributor (hopefully!)

I really don't like the idea of a relegation system for single team clubs. The most obvious issues that come to mind for this are:
-Single team going up and down repeatedly making it harder to keep players on a likely already small talent pool
-What happens if the bottom single team in 3s makes finals? Would they be dropped? Likewise for the top single team in 4s scraping in to finals (which is possible with strong performances from ANU, ADFA, Woden and Googong at times throughout the year).

I thought that this season was the best that I have seen in some time, both through evenness of the competition and the actual amount of games that teams got to play. While it does seem like Yass stretch the amount of leavers and retirements that they have each year (no offense to Yass I think they are a great club), I feel that 4th division is the right place of them unless they were to get an influx of players and wanted to take the leap. It does seem a shame that they can't affiliate with Murrumbateman to put together a 3's and 4's but there can be a lot to that so if they don't want to work it, fair enough. Well done to Coota for going up and having a good crack in the 3s.

While I do prefer to have the 3rd and 4th div stay the same, I do agree it's worth looking into a 5th grade so that teams at the bottom of the 4th that are getting frequent beltings can have a chance at playing in a more even grade and maybe get a sniff of some finals action.

Congrats to everyone that made the grand final, good luck this weekend!

If that’s a reason for Yass to stay in fours then it’s wrong .How many grand finals in the last ten years has Yass played in ? Cats get asked every year to go the threes and this is there first grand final since winning the comp in 1984 .Yass have to go up

And what happens to Yass when all the players actually do retire or Yass lose players?

They have no juniors or money to back a move up to 3s. If they go up it's a very short sighted move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back