AFL Canberra 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Belco would want to get a move on. They also haven’t updated the ladder from the Cooma forfeit , so Goulburn are still in second place
The ladder goes by % of games won rather than 4 points for a win. Had Goulburn not lost to the eagles they would still be ahead of the cats.

The ladder goes by % of games won rather than 4 points for a win. Had Goulburn not lost to the eagles they would still be ahead of the cats.
But it says they both have only played 6 games.. and I think it’s a good idea , I’d nearly go as far to say you should lie 4 points for a forfeit

But it says they both have only played 6 games.. and I think it’s a good idea , I’d nearly go as far to say you should lie 4 points for a forfeit

It says they have played 6 games because they have only played 6 games. It also has a FF (forfeit for) column. Theoretically if they were to finish on the same number of wins as another club they would be helped by having played one less game. Eg. 9 wins from 14 games = 64% - 9 wins from 15 games = 60%

Deducting wins or points from a club from a forfeit is ludicrous. We're a thirds/fourths competition where numbers in every side can be fluid week to week because guys have work and family commitments.

It says they have played 6 games because they have only played 6 games. It also has a FF (forfeit for) column. Theoretically if they were to finish on the same number of wins as another club they would be helped by having played one less game. Eg. 9 wins from 14 games = 64% - 9 wins from 15 games = 60%

Deducting wins or points from a club from a forfeit is ludicrous. We're a thirds/fourths competition where numbers in every side can be fluid week to week because guys have work and family commitments.

Are you serious? So you believe there should be no punishment for forfeiting? Thirds/fourth comp aside for some clubs it’s their 1’s. They get 7 home games max. Understand that players may not be as serious and forfeits may happen but to not punish them with points or % is ludicrous and unfair to the home team.

Are you serious? So you believe there should be no punishment for forfeiting? Thirds/fourth comp aside for some clubs it’s their 1’s. They get 7 home games max. Understand that players may not be as serious and forfeits may happen but to not punish them with points or % is ludicrous and unfair to the home team.
They have been punished in their for and against column. 90 points went into Goulburns win column and 90 went into Cats against column. Is it 100% fair? No and I honestly agree that they should be made to have a loss against their name with the 90 points. Say for example this happened at the back end of the year and both Goulburn and Cooma were 2nd and 3rd and the winner of that game got second and Cooma forfeited then held onto second place I think that AFL Canberra would definitely step in.

Not only that but what happens if Cooma finish second and Goulburn third on the ladder ? that would mean that Cooma get a home final with Goulburn travelling to snowy oval .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely this is a joke and you do get a loss for a forfeit???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is witch hunting anyone. If clubs have the potential to drop players from higher grades than so be it if a former player wants to have a run with his mates on a 60th anniversary than all for it. The goal should be to have games happening and if that means permits etc are supplied then so be it, at the crunch time of a competition these things aren't going to be a factor.

However I do hope the League opens up for feedback on the competitions again and actually listens. Travel in the regional competition isn't sustainable in the long term, and the club's in the league are at risk of having players return to Canberra based clubs or alternative competitions. There is good potential to spread the Regionals in among the Division 3 and 4 competitions. As we've seen with forfeits and lack of player numbers, getting boys to travel the way they have this year so the league can tick a box simply isn't sustainable and clubs will die.

Proposing -

Threes 2020 - Cootamundra, Southern Cats and Belconnen Magpies get added to current crop of teams.
Fours 2020 - Murrumbateman, Yass Kangaroos and Goulburn get added to current crop of teams.

Not sure what happy medium could be found regarding clubs with two teams being split every few weeks.

The problem is for every bit of negative feedback afl canberra will get from the regional clubs they will get positive feedback from the three team clubs.

Edit* I think what will stop the regionals being brought back to 3s and 4s is the women's teams. Especially if Googong can get a women's side together.

Last edited:
The problem is for every bit of negative feedback afl canberra will get from the regional clubs they will get positive feedback from the three team clubs.

Edit* I think what will stop the regionals being brought back to 3s and 4s is the women's teams. Especially if Googong can get a women's side together.

Unfortunately you're right. All but one of the 3 team clubs voted for the model that split the Regional's out, citing the need to limit the splitting of volunteer resources (managers/trainers/runners/umpires/water boys) and the desire for some "reward" for their efforts to have 3 teams. They acknowledged the structure may have a negative impact on the sustainability of the regional teams, but the care-factor ranged from "worried about the long-term but appreciate the aid it will give to the 3 team clubs" right through to "stuff the whinging bastards".

I think at times the Regional teams have been their own worst enemy in regards to never wanting to bite the bullet and split across grades 3 and 4 (Coota the exception) and this has built up a bit of animosity between the 3 teamers and the Regionals from a planning perspective. As Fordy says above, a 3-3 split off Regional teams across the 2 grades would be great, giving us two 10-team comps again like last year, which I think structurally was the best we've had in years.

If there's been split home games this season in the Regional's where 2 games are played at the same ground, perhaps that could continue in a mixed model in the future? I.e align the 3-3 regional club split and play both games at the same ground, alternating whether 3s or 4s is at home? Less home games, but possibly 3 games (with the womens) at the same ground when you do get a home game?

I'm sure we'll have all the same debates with the League over the off-season and come to a resolution that pleases no one.

The League don't actually care either way I believe ,They haven't been involved in any of the competitions this year to my knowledge . There concern is with actafl and probably rightly so they pay big bucks for the league's involvement . Word around the regional comp is that the regional grade comp will not continue after this season. This year has been a grading exercise so the teams that finish top 3 this year will go into third grade next year and the bottom three will go into division four.

The League don't actually care either way I believe ,They haven't been involved in any of the competitions this year to my knowledge . There concern is with actafl and probably rightly so they pay big bucks for the league's involvement . Word around the regional comp is that the regional grade comp will not continue after this season. This year has been a grading exercise so the teams that finish top 3 this year will go into third grade next year and the bottom three will go into division four.
Probably the only fair way to do it and if say Yass/Murrumbateman/Goulburn win it there should be a relegation so that if say Cats or Coota finish dead last or second last they come down the following year and so on. I think Belconnen should be automatically thrown into the 3's regardless of where they finish not because I do not like them but because they have a 1's and 2's team. Same as what I have said before the single team clubs split up their home games so you do not have the split of volunteers. Pair up Coota and Yass, Cooma and Murrumbateman, Belconnen and the Magpies.

2 Regionals playing home games together at the one ground could help but is still doesn't take the Women's teams into account which could be a sticking point. Maybe if one of the two could get a womens team together? Or maybe work something out with the regional womens comp?

IMO more teams in the comp is better, but having all 3 teams play together week in week out builds a much better community around the club and trumps the number of teams in the comp. I'd rather play the same 6 teams 3 times in a season than be split up to have a 10 team comp.

2 Regionals playing home games together at the one ground could help but is still doesn't take the Women's teams into account which could be a sticking point. Maybe if one of the two could get a womens team together? Or maybe work something out with the regional womens comp?

IMO more teams in the comp is better, but having all 3 teams play together week in week out builds a much better community around the club and trumps the number of teams in the comp. I'd rather play the same 6 teams 3 times in a season than be split up to have a 10 team comp.

The travel is the thing that will bring regional sides down I think . It’s already tough to get blokes committed to Cooma ,Cootamundra and Goulburn away games .

The travel is the thing that will bring regional sides down I think . It’s already tough to get blokes committed to Cooma ,Cootamundra and Goulburn away games .

Is there some suggestion that regional players will end up playing for clubs already in Division 3 and 4 or am I reading to much into this comment ? Also isn't it by 2020 that the competition will be local only .

I think in AFL Canberra's ideal world they would have no regional teams and only have 4 or 5 grades with Canberra based teams plus another 2 women's grades. It would make it easier from a planning and co-ordination perspective. If it does go that way it will lose a lot of supporters and players.

On the other side of the coin if they see that format as the best way forward for football and have a clear plan and picture then they have no choice but to follow it through. Might not be what the club presidents, players and supporters from clubs outside of Canberra want to hear but it could be the reality we will all have to live with soon.

Also I have not heard that 2020 will only be local. What is considered local? ACT only that would mean no QBN or Googong unless they are 'local' if thats the case then from city centre Murrumbateman is the same distance as Googong...

Ill believe someone can roll Coota when it happens. Cats who are meant to be the second best team cant get close so unlikely but anything can happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back