AFL Canberra 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

That's pretty sad if it's the case. My understanding, from the last meeting I went to at the end of last season, was that despite one particularly vocal 3 team club, most of those involved in Div 3 & 4 were open to the re-inclusion of the regional teams if this meant that they were more likely to survive, even if it made life slightly harder for the 3 team clubs. There were obviously discussions around alignment of regional teams in the two divisions and of how to reduce the burden on 3 team clubs having to send players and support staff to 3 different locations when playing regional teams.

Maybe discussions have moved on since then, but if so, it is disappointing in my eyes.
Presidents from the 6 regional sides of last year along with representatives from Eastlake an Tuggeranong have been invited to stand alone meeting . So I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself and reading to much into that.

That's pretty sad if it's the case. My understanding, from the last meeting I went to at the end of last season, was that despite one particularly vocal 3 team club, most of those involved in Div 3 & 4 were open to the re-inclusion of the regional teams if this meant that they were more likely to survive, even if it made life slightly harder for the 3 team clubs. There were obviously discussions around alignment of regional teams in the two divisions and of how to reduce the burden on 3 team clubs having to send players and support staff to 3 different locations when playing regional teams.

Maybe discussions have moved on since then, but if so, it is disappointing in my eyes.

Alignment is the way forward. Requires some compromise on all sides but allows for survival of teams and the possibility of growth in the future.

Alignment is the way forward. Requires some compromise on all sides but allows for survival of teams and the possibility of growth in the future.

You woud think that AFL Canberra would take control with this one and and tell the club to suck it up and set the comps the way that will see all partys winning and as said clubs will need to compromise and plan for weeks ahead , Being previously invlolved in clubs you have the draw and you plan for this.

If the regional comp stays you will lose 60 people to the game if not more as well as clubs which is income to the leauge also through affilition fees.

I have committed to coach the Eagles next year ,I like others was hoping that we would go up into the divisions . It is was /our intention to build to two teams for season 2021. If we are to stay in the regional comp I very much doubt we could build into two teams .As it stands I have players coming to the club under the proviso that we will be in at least division 4 next year and as previously stated div 3 and 4 the next season . If it stays as a regional comp and means traveling every second week to play country teams then I wouldn't blame those players if the were to re think there options and stay local. I have know problem with alignments and I also have know problem with going into division three if that is what it takes for us to grow as a club. The regional comp while good is just not helpful to clubs progressing and building into more.

Well hopefully the 3's and 4's are open to the idea of scrapping the regional grade.

If they make affiliations compulsory I can see the Southern Cats being hot property for both Eastlake and Tuggeranong.

Any news around the traps?
Preseason pumping? Big pickups/losses?
AFL Canberra decisions on league direction?

Will 4th grade teams be responsible for supplying their own umpires? Just wondering because of the regional grades having to do that last season.

Will 4th grade teams be responsible for supplying their own umpires? Just wondering because of the regional grades having to do that last season.

I would assume so Willy. Most, if not all 4th grade games last year required the clubs to supply their own umpires, though occasionally the league would supply some goal umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know how the game day structure will look for the regional teams that are aligning with a 3's and Womens 2's? i.e cats/eastlake, tuggers/goulburn, yass,coota. Their home games mainly? Will they split home games or will they be dictated to be the league?

Do we know how the game day structure will look for the regional teams that are aligning with a 3's and Womens 2's? i.e cats/eastlake, tuggers/goulburn, yass,coota. Their home games mainly? Will they split home games or will they be dictated to be the league?

Clubs aligned are working this out themselves I’m told . ( well at least some are )

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2020 thread here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back