Competition AFL Rebooted: Melbourne

Select your favourite nickname(s) for a Melbourne team...

• Bats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulls

• Dragons

• Honeyeaters

• Kangaroos

• Possums

• Rebels

• Royals

• Victory

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

pie_machine

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
afllogo.png

AFL Rebooted: Melbourne
A new hypothetical league is forming, starting completely from scratch.

The next team in this new national league is based in the sporting capital of Australia - Melbourne.

The first step in forming the identity of this team is to select a name and/or mascot. See below for the various options. Alternatively, nominate your own idea, but remember to give a reason.

Following the voting process, people will be able to design a kit for the chosen name.

Bats
The 'Bats' nickname comes from John Batman, who played a role in the founding of a settlement which became Melbourne and the colony of Victoria.

Bulls
A bull is featured on the shield of the coat of arms of Melbourne.

Dragons
The Weedy Seadragon is the Victorian state aquatic emblem.

Honeyeaters
The Helmeted Honeyeater is the Victorian state bird.

Kangaroos
A kangaroo is featured in the crest of the coat of arms of Melbourne.

Possums
The Leadbeater's Possum is the Victorian state animal.

Rebels
The 'Rebels' nickname comes from the Eureka Rebellion, which happened in Victoria in 1854. However, Rebels is already used by the Super Rugby team 'Melbourne Rebels'.

Royals
The 'Royals' nickname is inspired both by the crown featured on the Victorian flag, as well as the fact that Victoria is named after a royal (Queen Victoria).

Victory
The nickname 'Victory' simply derives itself from the state name. However, Victory is already used by the A-League team 'Melbourne Victory'.

Why did we have to use to rangers nickname for Sydney??? ;)

Would have been perfect to have a Melbourne team nicknamed the Bushrangers

Voted Dragons, but I wouldn't mind Royals.

Don't think these polls should be multi-option though.

Went for Royals and other (would have chosen Victory and Rebels as well, good names with historical meaning, if they hadn't already been taken).

The others I'm suggesting are:
Melbourne Rush - in reference to the Gold Rush, which saw Melbourne become the richest and most populous city in Australia in the 2nd half of the 19th century;
Melbourne Grands - referring to Melbourne's nickname, the "Grand Old Lady" (which refers to it's prevalence of 19th century architecture);

Agree. Sorta defeats the purpose imo.
I intentionally made it multi-option so that it would somewhat emulate preferential voting.

For example, imagine there were only three options - Possums, Kangaroos, and Victory - and the majority of people (let's say 60%) definitely wanted an animal as the mascot rather than something abstract or intangible. If it's a single-option poll, the votes for Possums and Kangaroos could be split evenly (30% each) and then remainder would vote for Victory, even though the majority wanted an animal. Instead with multi-option, people can choose both Possum and Kangaroo if they wish and the majority can be satisfied with an animal outcome. It's not a completely flawless system, but I think it's preferable.

I intentionally made it multi-option so that it would somewhat emulate preferential voting.

For example, imagine there were only three options - Possums, Kangaroos, and Victory - and the majority of people (let's say 60%) definitely wanted an animal as the mascot rather than something abstract or intangible. If it's a single-option poll, the votes for Possums and Kangaroos could be split evenly (30% each) and then remainder would vote for Victory, even though the majority wanted an animal. Instead with multi-option, people can choose both Possum and Kangaroo if they wish and the majority can be satisfied with an animal outcome. It's not a completely flawless system, but I think it's preferable.
I retract my statement, it doesn't defeat the purpose. Great work with this comp btw, looks a winner :thumbsu:

Multipoll is good because for me, my favourite is Rebels but the rugby team already exists so I'm not sure but Royals is my second fav and it just makes sense to also vote for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another idea could be to post the name options a couple of days before the poll is up (not sure if you can do that or not though). That way people could add suggestions beforehand that could be added to the poll from the start :)

Back