Fixture AFL Round 23 - Fixture CONFIRMED

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange schedule for the final round of the season in any year. How often to they schedule 6 games in Victoria in one round ever? And in Round 23, when they would want very flexible scheduling to be able to avoid dead rubbers as much as possible.

Strange schedule for the final round of the season in any year. How often to they schedule 6 games in Victoria in one round ever? And in Round 23, when they would want very flexible scheduling to be able to avoid dead rubbers as much as possible.
I'm fairly sure games have been flipped around from the original draw otherwise there would have been a game in Perth.

That would be fairest on the clubs/players, but the broadcasters want some "live" games for Sunday.

I think you're right and as Essendon are the team most likely to finish 8th that means they probably aren't as entitled to a longer break to the team who finished 5th and deserve the advantage.

I'm fairly sure games have been flipped around from the original draw otherwise there would have been a game in Perth.
nope, there was never a round 23 fixture in Perth this year
Round 23 - Dates/times/venues for all games yet to be confirmed by AFL.

Below are predictions as per Fox Footy/Herald Sun.

Friday, August 20
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide at Marvel Stadium, 7.50pm (SEVEN)

Saturday, August 21
Sydney v Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm (FOX)
Richmond v Hawthorn at MCG, 2.10pm (FOX)
Adelaide v North Melbourne at Adelaide Oval, 4.35pm AEST (FOX)
Geelong v Melbourne at GMHBA Stadium, 7.25pm (SEVEN)
Brisbane v West Coast at Gabba, 7.40pm (FOX)

Sunday, August 22
Carlton v GWS Giants at Marvel Stadium, 1.10pm (FOX)
Essendon v Collingwood at MCG, 3.20pm (SEVEN)
St Kilda v Fremantle at Marvel Stadium, 5.10pm (FOX)
2 of the Sunday games surely would have to be swapped with Richmond/Hawks and Adelaide/North, especially seeing there's no pre finals bye.

If the pre finals be is scrapped could we see the return of the Sunday afternoon final in the first week?

I think 2015 was the last time we had a final on a Sunday in the first week.

I really hope they bring back the Sunday game and a good chance it happens without a pre finals bye.

Thursdays are completely overrated and what the hell are people doing on a Sunday afternoon anyway? Especially in lockdown.

At least if there’s nothing on a Thursday night I can go to bed or watch a movie, besides I usually distracted having to get the kids settled for bed, it’s not like they can stay up for the game. Sunday’s without footy is bloody boring.

I really hope they bring back the Sunday game and a good chance it happens without a pre finals bye.

Thursdays are completely overrated and what the hell are people doing on a Sunday afternoon anyway? Especially in lockdown.

At least if there’s nothing on a Thursday night I can go to bed or watch a movie, besides I usually distracted having to get the kids settled for bed, it’s not like they can stay up for the game. Sunday’s without footy is bloody boring.
This might just be me but I want them to bring back some red ball finals. With a Sunday final hopefully they play 2.10 rather than 3.20

If it was me, and bearing into account how many teams are in the finals race.

Friday:
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide (Marvel - 7.50pm - 7)

Saturday:
Geelong v Melbourne (Geelong - 1.10pm - Fox 4)
Essendon v Collingwood (MCG - 2.10pm - Fox 3)
Carlton v GWS (Marvel - 4.10pm - Fox 4)
Brisbane v West Coast (GABBA - 7.20pm - 7/Fox 3)
Sydney v Gold Coast (Geelong - 7.40pm - Fox 4)

Sunday:
St. Kilda v Fremantle (Marvel - 1.10pm - Fox 4)
Richmond v Hawthorn (MCG - 3.20pm - Fox 4/7)

If it was me, and bearing into account how many teams are in the finals race.

Friday:
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide (Marvel - 7.50pm - 7)

Saturday:
Geelong v Melbourne (Geelong - 1.10pm - Fox 4)
Essendon v Collingwood (MCG - 2.10pm - Fox 3)
Carlton v GWS (Marvel - 4.10pm - Fox 4)
Brisbane v West Coast (GABBA - 7.20pm - 7/Fox 3)
Sydney v Gold Coast (Geelong - 7.40pm - Fox 4)

Sunday:
St. Kilda v Fremantle (Marvel - 1.10pm - Fox 4)
Richmond v Hawthorn (MCG - 3.20pm - Fox 4/7)

I wouldn't want to watch Adelaide vs North either.

This does make sense but there's no way Channel 7 and even Foxtel don't want bigger games in the bigger timeslots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they won’t play finals with no crowds?

‘Though channel 7 ratings seem to be the priority.

ps going to be interesting if Port finish second. Loser of Cats/Melbourne will be required to quarantine in Adelaide for seven days. Chris Scott will melt down in that case.

Fremantle have requested their game vs St Kilda be in Tasmania so they don't have to spend two weeks in quarantine when they return to Perth.

Why isn’t Saints v freo moved to Perth
Saints are out of finals calc and could do with the money of a crowd.
Freo played a home game vs Carlton in melb so there’s no unfair advantage.
It’s a Sunday game so if by a miracle freo make the finals they will be flying to the other side of the country within 7 days anyway.

Why isn’t Saints v freo moved to Perth
Saints are out of finals calc and could do with the money of a crowd.
Freo played a home game vs Carlton in melb so there’s no unfair advantage.

Other clubs, eg Eagles, vying for a spot in the 8 might see it as an unfair advantage

Surprised they are allowing night games in Melbourne when there
Other clubs, eg Eagles, vying for a spot in the 8 might see it as an unfair advantage
but they didn’t play a home game at the oppositions home ground this year like we have.
So currently they have an unfair advantage on us?
If we played the blues in Perth instead of Melbourne good chance we win and would currently be in the 8.

but they didn’t play a home game at the oppositions home ground this year like we have.
So currently they have an unfair advantage on us?
If we played the blues in Perth instead of Melbourne good chance we win and would currently be in the 8.

yeah valid. Like any discussion with the draw, the thing is hopelessly compromised, and covid has only made it worse.

yeah valid. Like any discussion with the draw, the thing is hopelessly compromised, and covid has only made it worse.
For sure it’s never fair, here’s an opportunity to make it fairer.
playing in Perth makes a lot of sense.
More money
More equalising
More time for a team that could play finals now the bye has been removed.

Once again, guess which club has to have a hurried game on a Sunday in case of potential quarantine outside of Melbourne...Essendon.

Say Essendon have to play in Perth for the Elimination Final. We know that the WA Government requirement is 7 days quarantine. That basically means Essendon would have to play the Sunday final. This a TV ratings driven fixture..nothing more or less.

Once again, guess which club has to have a hurried game on a Sunday in case of potential quarantine outside of Melbourne...Essendon.

Say Essendon have to play in Perth for the Elimination Final. We know that the WA Government requirement is 7 days quarantine. That basically means Essendon would have to play the Sunday final. This a TV ratings driven fixture..nothing more or less.
Essendon is going to finish 8th. Out of all the finalists they deserve the least pandering. Be grateful the game is on FTA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back