AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Profile-Collier.png

SELECTION: Priority Player Selection
STATE: NSW
CLUB: UNSW-ES Stingrays
At just 21, Maddy Collier made history as the first NSW/ACT player to be selected for the GIANTS’ women’s team. Originally from Nowra, Collier burst onto the local football scene when she won the AFL Sydney Women’s Premier Division Best and Fairest Award in 2013 at just 18. The AFL NSW/ACT Development Officer made her debut for the Western Bulldogs in this year’s Women’s Exhibition match.

AFLW Access All Areas with Maddy Collier
Phoebe McWilliams December 20, 2016 1:09 PM
MaddyWIS_PORTRAIT.jpg

Maddy with Mary from Ladies who League and fellow AFLW player Jacinda Barclay

Maddy is one of the team’s five priority picks. The 21-year old hails from Nowra, NSW and plays as a halfback, whilst also rotating through the midfield. When she’s not playing, Maddy works for AFL NSW/ACT in their development area.

Monday

The coaching group told us that they were going to lift the intensity on the track this week. They increased the distances we ran and also asked us to focus on our change of pace. In next year’s competition there are only 16 on the field so it’s going to be a lot quicker than what we’re used to. Tim told us that when we get tired our intensity might drop, but our voice and skills still have to stay up there.

The coaching staff joined in our drills and ran with a few players to increase intensity and talk us through the drill. Tim ran with me for a bit to help me focus on something he calls ‘running the line’. It’s about making three or four efforts and when I do get tired, looking for where I should run to next. It’s about making myself more damaging.

Tuesday

Tuesday night we started with a gym session. We did a lot of upper body work using resistance bands and weights.

Since starting the program I’ve noticed my technique is getting better. As my core gets stronger I can feel my form getting better. It’s been slow but I’m getting there.

In the gym I work with Alex Williams, we’re gym buddies. We make jokes that we’re going to get matching tattoos saying “gym buddies”.

After gym, Sim, our strength and conditioning coach, spoke to us about nutrition We got some good advice about how much and what sort of food we should be eating on training and non-training days. Sim told me I need to eat more, especially when I get home from training at night. I’m not a big eater and by the time I get home all I want to do is crash in bed. Sim told me I must eat before I go to sleep.

Then our stats expert Jaclyn ran us through our GPS data. She went through what the coaches are looking for and which aspects are most important. My running’s been pretty good. I’ve been fairly consistent and am in the middle of the group.

Wednesday

During the day we had the GIANTS Women in Sport Lunch at Rosehill Racecourse.

The GIANTS netball team were there as well as most of our team.

Kevin Sheedy spoke was part of an all-star panel that spoke at the lunch. He was funny, especially when he told us what he used to say to his players. He’d say to them, “Jessica Watson is 15-years-old and has sailed around the world alone. All I ask you guys to do is win the ball!”

At training we had another big session focussing again on running.

It was 36 degrees when we got there, but by the end we were training in proper rain. I thought even though it was slippery, the girls were still looking pretty good. Tim said we should be prepared for any weather conditions, especially because of the time of year we will be playing.

Thursday

I got up at 5.30am and went to the GIANTS’ gym with Beeso (Rebecca Beeson), Swanny (Emma Swanson), Schmidty (Aimee Schmidt) and Brushie (Ellie Brush).

Afterwards I went home and had a nap and then woke up to go and meet the girls in the city for Ez’s (Erin McKinnon) 18th birthday. The girls all chipped in and got her a pair of headphones as a present. We sang happy birthday to her in the middle of the restaurant and all the people around us joined in.

Friday

On Friday we normally have about 10 or so girls from the AFL NSW/ACT academy join in with our training session. This time we had two 16-year-old Youth Girls join in, Alyce and Jordan from country NSW. Alyce is a weapon. She’s left-footed and plays six different sports. She made the All-Australian team at youth girls this year and is a talented superstar.

After training most girls went into the gym. I did extra skill work instead because I had been to the gym Thursday morning. I did ground balls, had shots on goal, and worked on my reflexes. I got Dragga (Mark Dragicevic), Beeso and Lawto (Clare Lawton) to belt some at me.

Weekend

For the weekend I went home to Nowra and visited family. It’s roughly a two and half drive from the city. It was good to see my pets and a couple of friends.

I went with my mum to do our Christmas shopping. When we got there Mum realised she had forgotten her wallet, so I had to buy all the presents. Lucky it was pay week!

Phoebe McWilliams will be bringing GIANTS fans a behind-the-scenes insight into the GIANTS' AFL Women's team with interviews and articles across the 2016/2017 season. Phoebe is a Victorian priority player selection for the GIANTS' AFLW team and also has a background in Media and Communications.

More By Phoebe McWilliams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back