Alan Toovey

Remove this Banner Ad

I have NO qualms with Toov seeking opportunities elsewhere. But for Maniris to first send out an email to clubs stating he'll leave and if there's no trade he'll go to the draft, then to come on radio and state it will take a de-listed player to fund his financial objectives....Toovey has been made to look like an arsehole by Maniris, and he's not an arsehole.
So you have an issue with Toovey's management conduct for 1. informing the clubs that he's available for trade and 2. he'll nominate for the draft if a trade can't be consummated? What's wrong with this?

Marinis hasn't done anything that differs from the normal course of action. Perhaps the delivery of those objectives may not be "class A" but he's followed the normal course of action.

Stop misrepresenting the point regarding Toovey versus delisting a Collingwood player. It is the scenario that satisfies Toovey's financial compensation and ability to remain with Collingwood. Toovey's management is not saying DO IT but they recognize it's the only way to achieve their outcome at Collingwood. As it stands, it doesn't matter as it appears Toovey will move on and Collingwood has extended the players they wanted too.

For the record, my opinion towards Alan Toovey hasn't changed. Nice kid, good role player.

Youre really putting Alan Toovey up against multiple AA winners?

Come on, I dont mind Toovey and I think he suits Collingwoods structures extremely well in their current era, but hes the exact type of player that would most likely fall to pieces if going to another club, where he doesnt have 4 other All Australians surrounding him. Every premiership team or successful era have a few blokes that get carried.

I agree with this and it's exactly why Toovey should stay at Collingwood no matter what he's getting paid. He's got a guaranteed spot in one of the best 22s going around, why would he move and potentially be found out and delisted? He'll get paid more for the duration of his contract but then his career will be over.

So you have an issue with Toovey's management conduct for 1. informing the clubs that he's available for trade and 2. he'll nominate for the draft if a trade can't be consummated? What's wrong with this?

Marinis hasn't done anything that differs from the normal course of action. Perhaps the delivery of those objectives may not be "class A" but he's followed the normal course of action.

Stop misrepresenting the point regarding Toovey versus delisting a Collingwood player. It is the scenario that satisfies Toovey's financial compensation and ability to remain with Collingwood. Toovey's management is not saying DO IT but they recognize it's the only way to achieve their outcome at Collingwood. As it stands, it doesn't matter as it appears Toovey will move on and Collingwood has extended the players they wanted too.

For the record, my opinion towards Alan Toovey hasn't changed. Nice kid, good role player.
Not what he did, how he did it.

Informing people on a public basis....Hutchy got his hands on a copy of the email. Don't do that. It can be done behind closed doors.

Ddon't bother mentioning Collingwood would need to de-list someone. Just say their cap is very in-flexible.

Now, by doing something dozens of other players are doing without causing a fuss, Toovey is having his name dragged through mud by media and he'll have to wear it.

Marinis could have kept this provate, but chose to declare war on Collingwood publically. Good way to endear yourself to a club that will be involved with plenty of your clients in the future....

Youre really putting Alan Toovey up against multiple AA winners?

Obviously not, I just believe that the "defenders look better in a good team" line is shite, which is why I brought up those players off the top of my head.

For the record, I think his value is something around late 20's to early 30's or (preferably) a player equivalent. I'd certainly take him ahead of Ebert, for instance. ;)

Come on, I dont mind Toovey and I think he suits Collingwoods structures extremely well in their current era, but hes the exact type of player that would most likely fall to pieces if going to another club, where he doesnt have 4 other All Australians surrounding him. Every premiership team or successful era have a few blokes that get carried.

Sure, but I don't think Toovey fits into this category. He's a lockdown defender with very limited offensive capabilities, and that's exactly what he'd be at any club.

You could make an argument that Wellingham or Krakouer or Johnson even Davis are being carried to an extent (or at least look better in a strong team), but Toovey plays a role that's available on all teams, and would function similarly on all teams.

Again, I'd love to hear either you or Wall-E enumerate the lockdown defenders on great teams that went to s**t as soon as they moved.

Not what he did, how he did it.

Informing people on a public basis....Hutchy got his hands on a copy of the email. Don't do that. It can be done behind closed doors.

Ddon't bother mentioning Collingwood would need to de-list someone. Just say their cap is very in-flexible.

Now, by doing something dozens of other players are doing without causing a fuss, Toovey is having his name dragged through mud by media and he'll have to wear it.

Marinis could have kept this provate, but chose to declare war on Collingwood publically. Good way to endear yourself to a club that will be involved with plenty of your clients in the future....
Seems like you haven't considered that the Collingwood offer may have been completely unreasonable and a smack in the face to Toovey for the service he's provided.

I agree RE: emailing. Once it's out there it can't be taken back. I do happen to agree with you regarding the delivery of the message, I guess I'm not as "offended" by it as others.

Seems like you haven't considered that the Collingwood offer may have been completely unreasonable and a smack in the face to Toovey for the service he's provided.

I agree RE: emailing. Once it's out there it can't be taken back. I do happen to agree with you regarding the delivery of the message, I guess I'm not as "offended" by it as others.
If what the manager said is true, then they offered as high as they could go. this is probably well below what he could get elsewhere, but instead of kicking up a storm, he should have just told the Pies that he'll be going elsewhere with that offer and they'll begin looking at potential clubs immediately.

This way, next time he goes to the Pies and he's got a client looking for a contract, or a pay rise, they don't tell him to suck eggs.

You can be hard, with class. To me he came off as a spoiled child kicking and screaming to get a toy.

After negotiating contracts with players such as Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, Cloke, Dawes and others for less than their market value ( and don't even start an argument with me that this is the case with the GWS scenario this year ), Collingwood offers Toovey what they believe is his value within the club and his manager/Toovs disagree.

It has little to do with salary cap pressure this year.

As for his manager pimping him around in such a public forum. We are discussing a player that is in the Pies bottom 22. We DO have players coming through who can replace him. He plays his role very well in our team structure. I don't see where his value is. It's not like he will be a midfielder in a lesser team. He is not going to be the solution to a teams running back problems. He is not considered in the top taggers in the AFL.

So his manager has rolled the dice and played the game. It won't be the first time this has happened and backfired. Toovs will be a Collingwood player next year on the money we believe he is worth or he will go into the December draft and have no say where he ends up. Good luck with that.
The other scenario that a club will trade for what he wants....LOL....enter trade week...

As a diehard Pies supporter, I love Toovs, the player, but the club is bigger than any individual and if your manager wants to hold the mighty CFC to ransom...then F@#k ==f and good luck with your career.

One other possibility - are we looking at the first player who just doesn't want to play under Bucks or that Bucks thinks is expendable???

If what the manager said is true, then they offered as high as they could go. this is probably well below what he could get elsewhere, but instead of kicking up a storm, he should have just told the Pies that he'll be going elsewhere with that offer and they'll begin looking at potential clubs immediately.

This way, next time he goes to the Pies and he's got a client looking for a contract, or a pay rise, they don't tell him to suck eggs.

You can be hard, with class. To me he came off as a spoiled child kicking and screaming to get a toy.

He only has ONE AFL client! - Toovey - he is a soccer manager. Good luck getting more AFL clients, I say.

Depends I guess. If Collingwood have given everyone else a payrise, and told Toovey to suck eggs, you'd be a little miffed

It's all relative.

Yes Collingwood players have got a "payrise" but at the same time, players such as Travis Cloke, Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan, Thomas & Dawes have accepted contracts far below their market price. Thomas has given up at least $600 K from GWS, Dawes $300 K extra from Melbourne.

Toovey is asking for a contract that puts himself close to our top 10 players. His performance in the B&F, standing in the team & the like doesn't justify a payrise to that level.

Dawes has turned down more money but i remember reading that he rates his ability to earn money after he retires from afl something Toovey may not feel the same way about.

Another option could be that Collingwood are low balling him with the aim of making him leave to relieve salary cap pressure without looking like the bad guys by publicly forcing him out.

im curious as to how toovey (Or his management) believe that other teams will be willing to pay a large sum of money for a player of his type

Many Magpies supporters were pumping up his tyres all year as a potential AA, how could he not be worth this kind of money :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't blame Toovey for looking for better opportunities, but agree the way his manager has gone about it is pretty shithouse. Imagine he's gotten some ribbing SMS's from his teammates over the past couple of days over this.

If he can stay though, I definitely hope we keep him. Best 22 and went from much maligned to much loved at Pieland.

Will #TheBeaks survive Toove's leaving? :p

Toovey's manager was involved with South Melbourne (formerly Hellas) in the NSL/VPL as their operations manager, which is a football manager at an AFL level. Got the sack from there & went to a rival club & poached all the players from South Melbourne as he had access to their contract/pay status. Surprised Toovey was that stupid.

Nothing wrong with the process, but I agree that there is room for improvement in the delivery. It appears Marinis likes to take an aggressive approach.

Many Magpies supporters were pumping up his tyres all year as a potential AA, how could he not be worth this kind of money :p

whilst hes a good player, who plays a terrific role, hes just not worth that kind f money.

i want to know what other teams would be willing to give up for him. If the eagles/freo were looking at negotiating, what would they be willing to offer?

also imo north could use a good solid 1 on 1 defender, any interest there

Would look for an appropriate player in return rather than look at picks.
Wouldn't accept a pick outside of the top 10 for Toovey - and still think we would be on the losing end of the trade with that top 10 pick.

Would think Geelong would look at him. In the right age group and would make them even better.

Would consider a trade for Trent West. We need a replacement for Leigh Brown and with Jolly nearing the end would be a logical choice because he can play that no.2 role for the time being and once Jolly retires West can take over as no.1 ruckman to keep us competitive while Witts+Ceglar are developing.

Salary cap while both are on the edge shouldn't be a big issue for either team in this trade since it's player for player - even though Toovey would be the higher earner.

Geelong can replace West easily enough with Vardy developing well as that no.2 ruck. And Dawson Simpson isn't bad as a future no.1 ruck either.

Probably the closest thing Collingwood could salvage as being close to a win-win. But Geelong would be clear winners and get a near AA defender out of it - which while painful, might be necessary if this contract won't happen.

We would be clear winners by trading Trent West for Alan Toovey? And this would improve our side? How?

Toovey is a decent player but you won't get anything useful for him in a trade. Let alone Trent West who is a ruckman of some ability.

How about you trade us Siddebottom for Josh Hunt then? You'd be clear winners!

Toovey’s a good player but there’s no doubt he benefits hugely from Collingwood’s structure and work ethic. All their defenders do. They’re the hardest working defence in the league by some distance. It’s fanatical. You barely ever see a Collingwood defender in a genuine one-on-one situation. Or alone with the footy and no options… they’ll always have a get-out handball.

He’s got the goods to play elsewhere but unless that structure can be completely replicated he shouldn’t expect it to be as easy, nor should supporters expect him to look as good.

Their structure is that good and when you see their defenders getting exposed one-on-one, you know they’re being broken down. A few of their defenders aren’t great one-on-one.

Can’t really blame any of them for benefiting from it however, as when they’re not the one in the gun, they’re the ones working their arses off to ensure none of their mates are.

One other possibility - are we looking at the first player who just doesn't want to play under Bucks or that Bucks thinks is expendable???

Even if we are, who cares? There were plenty in the past who didnt want to play under Malthouse or that Malthouse thought expendable.

Bottom line, as good as Toovey is, he IS expendable. He is easily replaced, We're better saving our money on players we can replace, so that we cap cap room to pay players we really want/need to keep.

Even if we are, who cares? There were plenty in the past who didnt want to play under Malthouse or that Malthouse thought expendable.

Bottom line, as good as Toovey is, he IS expendable. He is easily replaced, We're better saving our money on players we can replace, so that we cap cap room to pay players we really want/need to keep.

When Carey said that the absence of Ablett at Geelong would only be a few %, he was vindicated absolutely.

You can do the diminuitive maths on Toovey.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tooveys-manager-issues-ultimatum-20111011-1lifh.html

Alan Toovey's manager says the only way the Magpie premiership backman would remain with the 2010 premiers was if one of his Collingwood teammates was delisted.
"It’s quite obvious that the only way this can work unfortunately is if Collingwood do delist a senior player in order to move in their salary cap, and that's where we’ve left it," Toovey's manager Jim Marinis told Trade Week Radio.
"We will not be accepting their offer that is on the table at the moment."

Coupled with

Marinis would not discuss monetary figures, but said Collingwood's offer was "really not that very far away".

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tooveys-manager-issues-ultimatum-20111011-1lifh.html

Does anyone else find this totally mistifying? If as he says this is not about a massive discrepancy in pay - what on earth is this all about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back