Movie All Quiet on the Western Front

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Most people would know the story. Towards the end of WWI, Paul, a young German, enlists with his friends and is shocked by what he encounters at the front line.

I watched the 1930 version followed by the 2022 release. They are both great movies.

Both movies show the brutality and senselessness of war in the trenches. Any jingoism or claims of heroism are confined to those who, ignorantly or otherwise, would send those men to their deaths. In two and a bit hours you get a flavour of what these men went through, but then imagine months or even years of living in mud, exposure to the cold, hunger, lack of sleep, boredom, despair. The constant of threat of death from being shot by snipers, poisoned by gas or artillery bombardment. Then regular orders to charge at enemy positions that were defended by machine guns.

The 1930 version was a tremendous achievement in film making. The outdoor sequences, especially the battles, are excellent. There's a constant boom of artillery and explosions. The indoor scenes were less convincing. They opted for quite a bit of humour and some of it feels like a Three Stooges sketch. But there is a very poignant scene where Paul is on leave and goes back to the school where his teacher encouraged him and friends to join up. At first he can't say anything. Then...

You still think it's beautiful and sweet to die for your country, don't you? We used to think you knew. The first bombardment taught us better. It's dirty and painful to die for your country. When it comes to dying for your country it's better not to die at all! There are millions out there dying for their countries, and what good is it?​

American actors speaking English represent the German characters, so it can take you out of the movie sometimes. The acting is cheesy by today's standard, possibly because it was made not long into the talkies era. It is overt with its anti-war message (whereas the 2022 version shows you the events and lets you decide for yourself.)

It deserves its status as a classic, but I don't think I would watch it again.

10/10.

The 2022 version is possibly the best war film I've seen. It depicts the horror and futility of war but scales it up (from 1930) by being more graphic, having more realistic acting, and special effects brought up to date. It's in colour and in high definition so it feels more immersive. The dialog is in German and French with subtitles so it feels authentic.

There are some stark contrasts shown. The difference between the young men's optimism and joy before signing up, and what they find when they first get to the front. Graphic scenes such as soldiers covered in mud engaging in hand to hand combat - against the luxury surroundings of the politicians and generals who prolong the war. There's also contrasts to be found in the cinematography - at times there are some beautiful images.

The soundtrack is haunting and powerful.

I goes into my top 100 and I will definitely be watching it multiple times.

10/10.

The 1930 version is brilliant, didn't really think it needed updating as the production value and quality of the original holds up well.
The 2022 version is a very good film, and an equally poor adaption. In general I am pretty relaxed about changes to source material, as this is inevitably necessary to make a story work across two vastly different mediums. But in this case, the choices butcher many of the central themes of Remarque's novel.

I would be very sad if this film becomes the most well-known version of the story, because it's just such an inferior rendition of it - especially compared to the 1930 masterpiece. I came out quite angry that this is now going to be what millions of people think All Quiet On The Western Front is about.

That said, if you go in pretending it's called something else and the characters all have different names - you will probably quite enjoy it. It is very well made and a cut above most war films.

Last edited:
The 2022 version is a very good film, and an equally poor adaption. In general I am pretty relaxed about changes to source material, as this is inevitably necessary to make a story work across two vastly different mediums. But in this case, the choices butcher many of the central themes of Remarque's novel.

I would be very sad if this film becomes the most well-known version of the story, because it's just such an inferior rendition of it - especially compared to the 1930 masterpiece. I came out quite angry that this is now going to be what millions of people think All Quiet On The Western Front is about.

That said, if you go in pretending it's called something else and the characters all have different names - you will probably quite enjoy it. It is very well made and a cut above most war films.
Yep gotta read the book

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah it’s wayyy different from the book. I watched it as soon as it dropped on Netflix and thought it was ok enough but nothing memorable. Eg after the war when they went back to steal eggs again from the same farm was just ridiculous and what happened next was so predictable.

That said it’s good to see some decent WW1 films being made lately - I didn’t hate it.

sorted there was a 1979 television film as well starring Ernest Borgnine and Richard Thomas (Ozark father).

I got round to watching this one. Much of it is a colour reshoot of the 1930 film. Thomas in the lead role and Borgnine as Kat are both well cast. Thomas provides a voice over which works quite well. The acting is a step up from the hammy style from 1930.

The explosions look and sound a bit fake, and you still get the silliness of the men throwing up their arms when they get shot. The dialog is in English which is a bit jarring when there is a mixture of American and British accents for German characters, or when they are depicting the language barrier between the German guys and French girls.

For a TV movie it's actually quite good. But I wouldn't go out of your way to watch it if you have seen the other two.

7/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back