amos' infamous draft review: Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, same rules. There's are my views on each player selected, beginning with round 1. I always love a bit of dialogue on the reviews so feel free to chime in.

1. Broome Bears – Luke Parker (Sydney): Safe and solid pick. You need a few rocks in the lineup and you can’t really go wrong with Parker. Potential utility but looks the ideal player for the new Balanced mid position. Nice start, Nuggets.

2. Awesome Fourthorn – Callan Ward (GWS): Another safe pick, who could probably float between the three midfield positions. Lock and load at BM and go to sleep.

3. Shinboner Spirit – Charlie Dixon (Port Adelaide): Can’t remember if this is the pick where Blueworms copped the Docherty shafting or not. Docherty was the pick of the round and highlighted BW’s potential as a big player in the game. When Doch went down, so did Worms’ LFFL thinking, taking Dixon, a potential 3rd rounder way too early. Up and down all year every year but a former Mozzie Bites himself, Dixon is a pain in the arse and numbers not that dissimilar to some of the forwards going quite later.

4. Draconian Knights - Nic Naitanui (West Coast) – A calculating pick and a lot to like about it. Danoz knew quite well that he would be waiting for another 15 picks after this one and took the ruckman, one of the most important positions in the game.

5. Outback Meerkats - Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle) - The jury is out on Continstar’s selection here. Pie went hard on me about five years ago for selecting Turf Toe and he went on to win every major award in the LFFL for the Bites that year, highlighting both Pie’s capacity to underestimate amos’ capacity to spot a bargain, but clearly 211’s eliteness in the LFFL. If he’s on the park, and you only need him to be there on LFFL GF day, he’ll get the job done in spades. That said, I would have taken Martin or Goldstein before him. With Sandi, you’d also want to make sure you picked up Sean Darcy as well, even if it meant using a 4th or 5th rounder before the LFFL shaft comes. If he had taken Darcy, it’s a 10/10 pick, without the pairing, it’s a high risk that could see Pie’s 2013 prediction finally come to fruition.

6. South West Dragons - Stefan Martin (Brisbane): Decent enough pick but there’s also a query about what Archie Smith is doing. Pie’s a seasoned campaigner, though, knowing when the first ruck goes, they’re not around on your return serve. The problem for Pie, though, is Archie and Stef do play a bit together, and when they do, Stef’s not a first rounder.

7. The Cheetahs - Mitch Duncan (Geelong): Great selection. OM is that pain in the arse position to fill, and often just the place that you slap a player in. Duncan will dominate it and give the Cheetahs a solid differential on gameday. My pick of round 1.

8. City Oval Plovers - Dylan Roberton (St Kilda): Always good seeing the Plovers * something up because they’re that annoying team that wins all the time. The pick, Roberton, well honestly he annoys the living crap out of me. I jumped on him in Dream Team last year and watched his with vested interest squib it up in the second half of the year. In the first half of the season though, he was running around like a superstar, an OM elite. His numbers were great, but bet if there was a first half of the year versus second half of the year comparison, he’d be 1st in one and 150th in the other. I wouldn’t have taken him at all.

9. South-Eastern Polar Bears - Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood): Solid OM, BM or even utility on a whim selection. Hard to fault.

10. The Ladyboys - Luke Shuey (West Coast): Shuey was a Mozzie a few years ago and was pretty frustrating to have. He’s improved his consistency since then an is now a bonafide utility or OM option, with solid clearance numbers.

11. Mozzie Bites - Andrew Gaff (West Coast): An okay pick without being inspiring. Doesn’t get enough clearances to capatalise on his uncontested numbers, which makes him a poor man’s Mitch Duncan in LFFL terms. Like Shuey, though, could get a bump in numbers with Mitchell and Priddis enjoying the coaches box.

12. Animals run wild - Joel Selwood (Geelong): I like it and a solid pick. Was almost snapped up at 11. You know what you get with Selwood and a rock at IM.

Last edited:

Worth noting the reason I didn't carry over NN after holding him all year was the change in scoring. He doesn't take a lot of marks compared to other rucks which is why I chose to carry Witts over him. Still a gun, but that's my query.

Nic Nat calculations revolves around getting the other two plodders. If Nic plays he’s a solid 40 every week, and that’s not a score I’ve had in this position regularly since I joined the game. Concerns are around fitness and how he will score with a second ruck like Vardy who is more than capable of being WCE first ruck if required.

Worth noting the reason I didn't carry over NN after holding him all year was the change in scoring. He doesn't take a lot of marks compared to other rucks which is why I chose to carry Witts over him. Still a gun, but that's my query.

35 hitouts and 3 marks is all I ask.

Love it, Roberton was the best defender available after the scoring change (by a long way) but was a pick I didn't like making myself!

Hmm I like it....howrver I delisted Mitch Duncan without realising the scoring change meant that he was an elite utility averaging over 100, near 40 as a forward and defender and 42 as a outside midfielder......whoops

Hard to not respect the opinion re: Dixon, being the only FWD taken for the round would suggest it was against the trend & too early given later type picks. Kudos for the harsh rating I like it. Docherty was a pre-round selection not 1st round. My only counter would be anything Charlie fantasy footy pre-2016 can be thrown in the trash along with GCs horrible effort to keep him fit, so I’m glad he burnt you during this period & look forward to him burning you right back during his powerhouse 2018 season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I carried over Laird (Back), Walker (Fwd), Grundy (Utility) and Wines (IM). Really needed to start off with two mids, so it was always going to be best available in either OM or BM. Probably got lucky that so many Ruckman went in the first two rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back