Recommitted Angus Brayshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Gettable in terms of overpaying to pry him away from Melbourne.

I can't see him being traded unless a team is massively overpaying.

Despite all the talk about our midfield "problems" it's the forward line that has issues.

I don't know. I can see him staying at Melbourne but if he does leave he doesn't strike me as a player in "needing to overpay" form. Especially if he is on a decent sized contract.

Is he really playing better than Langdon was playing for us last year or Aish was playing for the Pies last year. A second round pick got those deals done.

Saad was another player traded for a second round pick.
His stocks have risen since then tbf. Can take the #1 small forward and beat them whilst still providing good rebound.

He's at his best as either than main man or a number 2 in terms of getting the ball hit his way. Reads it well, has quick hands, can get it on his boot on either side of his body too. And once he gets the confidence and freedom to run around in the midfield he can get the ball in dangerous spots. Disposal is shaky but if you get enough of the ball rolling through the corridor you'll do plenty of damage.

Given it's unlikely he'll ever have that role at Melbourne I'd be more than happy to trade him for a 2nd rounder as long as we can find a player to bring in to beef up other areas.

The issue is finding teams willing to take a flier on a guy who hasn't played in his preferred role for 2 seasons and needs to be featured as a core part of a side.

He's similar to Jarryd Lyons who got a chance to be the man at the Suns. Wasn't all that Dew wanted. But Brisbane doubled down and made him their 2nd most prominent midfielder and he's very good.

He's at his best as either than main man or a number 2 in terms of getting the ball hit his way. Reads it well, has quick hands, can get it on his boot on either side of his body too. And once he gets the confidence and freedom to run around in the midfield he can get the ball in dangerous spots. Disposal is shaky but if you get enough of the ball rolling through the corridor you'll do plenty of damage.

Given it's unlikely he'll ever have that role at Melbourne I'd be more than happy to trade him for a 2nd rounder as long as we can find a player to bring in to beef up other areas.

The issue is finding teams willing to take a flier on a guy who hasn't played in his preferred role for 2 seasons and needs to be featured as a core part of a side.

He's similar to Jarryd Lyons who got a chance to be the man at the Suns. Wasn't all that Dew wanted. But Brisbane doubled down and made him their 2nd most prominent midfielder and he's very good.
Saad for Brayshaw (if both chose to leave) would be a no nonsense, pragmatic trade for both clubs

Saad for Brayshaw (if both chose to leave) would be a no nonsense, pragmatic trade for both clubs
I think Essendon would rightly want a little more, and I think they could find the midfielder they need for less. But yeah it could work. If Brayshaw is to play his best it would be in a midfield with Shiel, Merrett and McGrath.

I think Essendon would rightly want a little more, and I think they could find the midfielder they need for less. But yeah it could work. If Brayshaw is to play his best it would be in a midfield with Shiel, Merrett and McGrath.

I don't know. I think a midfield of Brayshaw x 2, Cerra, Serong and N Fyfe rolling through might be fun.

I don't know. I think a midfield of Brayshaw x 2, Cerra, Serong and N Fyfe rolling through might be fun.
Andy and Serong would go nicely with Gus. But Fyfe and Cerra are big bodies - even if Cerra's more a glider than a bash and crasher. Gus would be a decent replacement for Mundy but I'd imagine Freo have other cheaper ways to fill that hole. Tucker for one.

Andy and Serong would go nicely with Gus. But Fyfe and Cerra are big bodies - even if Cerra's more a glider than a bash and crasher. Gus would be a decent replacement for Mundy but I'd imagine Freo have other cheaper ways to fill that hole. Tucker for one.

That gets a like for being a non-Freo person who knows that Tucker exists. You're right too. I still wouldn't mind if Gus came our way.

I don't know. I can see him staying at Melbourne but if he does leave he doesn't strike me as a player in "needing to overpay" form. Especially if he is on a decent sized contract.

Is he really playing better than Langdon was playing for us last year or Aish was playing for the Pies last year. A second round pick got those deals done.

Melbourne have zero reason to trade him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gettable in terms of overpaying to pry him away from Melbourne.

I can't see him being traded unless a team is massively overpaying.

Despite all the talk about our midfield "problems" it's the forward line that has issues.
Agree the forward line is the issue but how do you fix that?

Doesn't sound like there is a lot of room in the cap and the Dees have no decent draft selections selections as trade currency.

Doesn't sound like there is a lot of room in the cap and the Dees have no decent draft selections selections as trade currency.

We have cap room, we have a number of out of contract players.

I could think of plenty

He hasn't reached his potential, he's on a decent contract, Melbourne have plenty of mids and lack quality outside runners or quality forwards...

Brayshaw can play inside or outside, it's just a matter of finding balance.

He's not the one to move.

We have cap room, we have a number of out of contract players.

Brayshaw can play inside or outside, it's just a matter of finding balance.

He's not the one to move.
Every side has players out of contract. More players will have to be delisted than most years due to list reductions.

I can't imagine you'd want players like Viney and Fritch go though.

Do you think playing Braysahw on the wing has been a success?

Need time to fix it , even a big club like St Kilda take several year of trial and error ( draft ,trading , changing coaches ) to finally make it to final this year .

Every side has players out of contract. More players will have to be delisted than most years due to list reductions.

I can't imagine you'd want players like Viney and Fritch go though.

Do you think playing Braysahw on the wing has been a success?

Yes and we've been one of the teams noted to be in a good position cap-wise.

Brayshaw finished 8th in the best and fairest so he clearly wasn't as bad as some people like to make out. Goodwin just needs to find the right balance between our midfield, Oliver up forward for periods could add something to his game.

Yes and we've been one of the teams noted to be in a good position cap-wise.

Brayshaw finished 8th in the best and fairest so he clearly wasn't as bad as some people like to make out. Goodwin just needs to find the right balance between our midfield, Oliver up forward for periods could add something to his game.
Fair enough. I wouldn't have thought he's been up to scratch for a couple of years. I don't think 8th is a great achievement for a midfielder.

I think he'd benefit by going to a side that could use him as a full time mid and I think the Dees may benefit by getting a better balance in their 22.

Sounds like there are Melbourne fans that agree with me and some that agree with you.

Time will tell.

Freo’s midfield would bat seriously deep if they got Brayshaw. It seems like on fit for him though, other than the brother thing. He seems to be a player that is at his best with a permanent midfield role and I could see him being pushed to a wing at Fremantle.

Freo’s midfield would bat seriously deep if they got Brayshaw. It seems like on fit for him though, other than the brother thing. He seems to be a player that is at his best with a permanent midfield role and I could see him being pushed to a wing at Fremantle.

He'd take Mundy's role in the guts I reckon. Mundy played more midfield this year than the year before. It's true that Fyfe played more forward but Mundy filled that hole. We need someone to fill that gap either within or by bringing someone in.

He'd take Mundy's role in the guts I reckon. Mundy played more midfield this year than the year before. It's true that Fyfe played more forward but Mundy filled that hole. We need someone to fill that gap either within or by bringing someone in.
Surely Serong, Cerra and Brayshaw will be demanding pretty significant midfield time. I'd be prioritising all three of them as midfielders above Angus Brayshaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back