Any Bright Ideas to Fix our Goal Kicking Woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Three weeks in row of terrible accuracy is getting beyond a joke. Probably cost us the blues game and we should have been up at 3/4 time against the tigers but the way we played in the last quarter we get beat anyway.

I know years ago when I played amateurs to help players with accuracy we often trained kicking a tennis ball at goal from 20 metres out from goal. The idea was it helped concentration and kicking co-ordination needing to hit a small target flush to get the ball to go straight as well as assisting with a straight ball drop. I know it sounds very primitive for a professional game but it helped our team and myself with a better conversion many moons ago.

Last edited:
We need to get easier shots on goal. This is down to the forward structure and coaching. Chipping it inside 50 for a short on a 45-degree angle 40 meters out is useless for our team as we've seen time and time again that most of our players cannot get close to making this shot. Bad shots on goal need to clear out of the forward 50, we need our forwards to be quality shots on goal (I believe Weightman and Jamarra have this attribute). Naughton is a difficult one because without him up forward we're completely shithouse in the air. The other three forwards simply need to be good shots on goal, which with our current setup does not seem to be the case. The problem is I have no idea who else can join these three up forward since we lack proper forwards across our entire list. Generally, our forward structure needs to change as goal kicking won't just improve over a couple weeks with more training.

Put a bonus clause in all contracts for set shot conversions where they exceed the CD “expected accuracy”. The greater they exceed it over a full season the higher the bonus.

Back self interest every time, as the pollies and pundits say!

Just watched Matthew Lloyd on AFL site today talking about this very thing. Said it is very very hard to improve these aspects of the game during the season.

At this point in time I just want to point out that a fair way into the Carlton game we'd kicked something like 13.4.

Just watched Matthew Lloyd on AFL site today talking about this very thing. Said it is very very hard to improve these aspects of the game during the season.

At this point in time I just want to point out that a fair way into the Carlton game we'd kicked something like 13.4.
We also kept the Melbourne pantsing in R1 somewhat honourable by kicking accurately. If only we could swap our R1 accuracy with R2 or R4, and we'd be 2-2.

Worth noting that our expected score percentage is over 100%, whilst we haven't left Melbourne yet, we've also played 4 teams that could very well make finals.

Keep the forward line more open. We don't need every man and his dog dropping in the hole inside 50.

Don't just do kicking for goal practice at training. Do 2 repeat sprints of 30 metres (eg to the centre circle, pause sprint back), then line up and kick for goal. Train like match conditions. I don't want to hear "Oh Naughty been kicking then at training" So what, needs to be match like conditions.

Practice goalkicking with a soccer ball. If your mechanics aren’t spot on then the ball just won’t go straight and the results compared to kicking the Sherrin are horrible. The Sherrin is actually pretty forgiving to inexact mechanics.

Everyone wonders why the irish players who come over to play all have good kicking skills. It because they grow up playing gaelic football and kicking mechanics for a round ball kicked like an oval footy need to be spot on.

Go down to the local ground and have a try. It is not easy.

Last edited:
Put a bonus clause in all contracts for set shot conversions where they exceed the CD “expected accuracy”. The greater they exceed it over a full season the higher the bonus.

Back self interest every time, as the pollies and pundits say!

Can-do Capitalism! DW are you sure you don't work in the marketing department for the LNP?

I wonder whether our fitness level has an impact on goal kicking (and our current form). They always seem to be huffing and puffing lining up for goal and it's like they haven't got the energy to either make the distance or make the distance accurately.

That's my 2 cents of knowing nothing about football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall John Safron seeking a witch doctor and a chicken being sacrificed before Australia qualified for the 2006 World Cup, I’m thinking there might be something in that

I recall John Safron seeking a witch doctor and a chicken being sacrificed before Australia qualified for the 2006 World Cup, I’m thinking there might be something in that
yebiga has some useful connections in this area…

The boys need a good old fashioned dose of mindfulness
You might be on the money BD. If they feel the weight of the world on their shoulders every time they line up they will miss a lot of shots.
They need to be “in the moment”, not worrying about all the missed shots that have gone before.

I'm still trying to get my head round the fact that we seemingly haven't addressed this obvious flaw in our game during the off season.

Either we didn't make goal kicking a focus over the summer = incompetence.

Or we did make goal kicking a focus over the summer and are now even worse = incompetence.

You guys need another big man down there who can support Naughton. And a few more crafty goal kickers. When Bruce comes back that should help but for the mean time other options should be looked at.

Reckon Schache is no good forward and his best bet is as a backman. Tim O’Brien can provide a target and maybe a position switch should be looked at. Hayden Crozier was also a decent forward at Fremantle. Martin/Sweet need to be in and English needs to play 50% forward.

What’s the go with Mitch Hannan and Mitch Wallis?

You guys need another big man down there who can support Naughton. And a few more crafty goal kickers. When Bruce comes back that should help but for the mean time other options should be looked at.

Reckon Schache is no good forward and his best bet is as a backman. Tim O’Brien can provide a target and maybe a position switch should be looked at. Hayden Crozier was also a decent forward at Fremantle. Martin/Sweet need to be in and English needs to play 50% forward.

What’s the go with Mitch Hannan and Mitch
Re hannan and Wallis: one is slow and the other is s**t so… as far as that goes we are Effed in the A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back