Any Bright Ideas to Fix our Goal Kicking Woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Goal accuracy vs. expected accuracy for Western Bulldogs players from 2017 onwards (minimum 10 shots)...

Example: Dickson had a 63.2% shot at goal accuracy but an expected accuracy of 53.8% so was +9.4% ahead of his expected accuracy.

View attachment 1369718

We need to learn via negativa.

Rather than getting Dickson to teach the boys what to do (or moving Bailey Dale forward), clearly the solution is to bring Mitch Honeychurch back to the club to study his process and implement the exact opposite. The first session will likely uncover that when taking a set shot from 30m out right in front you should attempt to kick the ball more than only 25m forward.

I wonder whether our fitness level has an impact on goal kicking (and our current form). They always seem to be huffing and puffing lining up for goal and it's like they haven't got the energy to either make the distance or make the distance accurately.

That's my 2 cents of knowing nothing about football.
We play the most taxing brand of footy in the league, 100% this has helped contribute to our issues in front of goal for the past 6 years - amongst other things.

Do nothing and wait for our reversion to the mean.

That wait could be quite mean to the eyes and soul

But if we are to truly revert to the mean then we can expect some days of 22.3 from our 25 shots on goal (assuming we deal with the OOB outcome too) - what a joy in store

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That wait could be quite mean to the eyes and soul

But if we are to truly revert to the mean then we can expect some days of 22.3 from our 25 shots on goal (assuming we deal with the OOB outcome too) - what a joy in store

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm tipping asteroid Scrag-eolawki-7.19 to wipe out civilisation on earth just a few weeks before we commence our correction back to the mean.

Potentially to help combat the fatigue issue as much as we can, instruct the players to take as much of the 30 as they possibly can, unless the game situation demands a quick shot. Every little second counts getting breath back.

So if we keep the same average of behinds to goals as the last 2 weeks and we kick 16 goals against the roos we kick 36 behinds. Surprisingly this would not be the record number of behinds in a game, the hawks kicked 25.41 against the saints in 1977.

Last edited:
Surround Naughton with natural forwards and play a conventional structure.

Much of our issues are the shots we're getting.

The best we've played in the last four years were when we played 5 kpp and 2 ruckman last year.

Surround Naughton with natural forwards and play a conventional structure.

Much of our issues are the shots we're getting.

The best we've played in the last four years were when we played 5 kpp and 2 ruckman last year.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Aside from injuries, so many of our issues are self inflicted. From trying to be too clever by half at selection, the stubbornness about the ruck situation, the lack of trading/drafting of KPPs (compromised by Darcy/Ugle-Hagan drafting).

However, I wish we would just play players in their most suitable positions. I love Dale off half back, but also loved him as a forward and he's a hell of a kick - pity we don't have two of him.

I would play Bont inside 50. Give the defence something to really worry about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get new players who are better at goal kicking. Bailey Fritsch, Josh J Kennedy, Shai Bolton, Charlie Cameron, Tom Hawkins etc.
Fill our forward 50 with blokes of their calibre and the goals will kick themselves.

Figure out a foolproof way to get the man standing the mark to move. The fifty meter penalty will move the kicker inside the goal square. This should improve our accuracy by a good 2% or so.
You're onto something here.

Our players lining up for goal should always shape to handball or kick sideways, no matter how far from goal, triggering the man on the mark to step off their position. Bang, 50m penalty.

I can't see why Beveridge wouldn't see this as the ideal complimentary tactic to retreating on the mark.

Question Why do we have behind posts at training when the only purpose is to practice goal kicking having another 2 posts is just a distraction. The only result you want is for the ball to go through the goals in practice and in a game a point is just minor reward for missing your target . Probably a bit left field but no more than having your best midfielder compete in the ruck or giving away 5 metres on the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back