Any Stock Tips? - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

KGL up 16% today.

I'm still bullish KGL, RFE.

Also very keen on RMX which should be listing in the next week or two. Got a fair chunk of shares in the IPO.

And most importantly, got plenty in cash atm.

i had a small go at FAR back in 2009... i closed out a profit before the big gap up (and then the big gap down!)... its a popular stock with HC, but a bit of a penny dreadful... seems the way with most HC stocks: people get fixated with duds while looking to go from 1c to $10 rather than $1 to $5...

give it a go, but dont go too large and watch your stop...

or bottom draw them...

What are peoples strategies with trading?

I try to trade with a target in mind.

what is your policy when you hit your target?

I know some like to hold onto their winners and cut their losers.

I know some like to be really disciplined and just stick to their targets.

I know some like to play it by ear and just keep moving their stops up (most should do this anyway).

When do you guys get out?

One of the penny shares I really like is up 62% toaday: htx.

might be a good one to buy on a pull back if you don't mind a bit of risk. Even at current price its market cap is only 5million it has quite a promising medical product (IMO). Risk /reward seems good to me.

As they say in the classics: do your own research.

i had a small go at FAR back in 2009... i closed out a profit before the big gap up (and then the big gap down!)... its a popular stock with HC, but a bit of a penny dreadful... seems the way with most HC stocks: people get fixated with duds while looking to go from 1c to $10 rather than $1 to $5...

give it a go, but dont go too large and watch your stop...

or bottom draw them...

by HC do you mean the trading forum Hotcopper? If so lol. I used to post there every day as long ago as 8 or 9 years ago. Maybe more.

Just rejoined the other day - I was surprised it was still there. It hasn't changed much.

Register is as important as anything. I stay away from stocks that are favourites of retail investors, ie CCCs of this world.

Your 100% correct there. That was the thing i missed when researching the stock and purchasing. Hopefully consolidation fully finalised now and AIM listing coming up will lead to a tighter register.

Looking to sell hopefully in the next gap up.....whenever that may be.

shits getting pretty crazy over here in the US... ive got a few short positions, but thinking of opening up some more... its hard to know what to short, all the banks are already cactus.... if you've got a few billion, you can buy into BofA at a discount to buffet :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are peoples strategies with trading?

For me, it is all about time in the market rather than the time you buy and sell. If you have shares for 10 years you should have reasonable growth rather than having them for 1 year and looking to make a quick buck.

I will only be investing in blue chip shares (ie: ANZ, BHP etc.). Just opened an e-trade account.

No. How is it?

One has George Soros's fund and Macqurie Bank as major shareholders and a tight register while the other has retail support but no institutional support... they are quite the opposite.
I didnt research it, I just wasnt sure if you meant Macquarie themselves involved or Macquarie backing it for their high profile investors (like those who have got involved in CCC).

Im s**t bored, so will post some charts in a minute for those who give a s**t.

For me, it is all about time in the market rather than the time you buy and sell. If you have shares for 10 years you should have reasonable growth rather than having them for 1 year and looking to make a quick buck.

I will only be investing in blue chip shares (ie: ANZ, BHP etc.). Just opened an e-trade account.
Ah, I guess I am developing a very different approach. More of a short-medium term approach through charting. I guess I just really dont like to enter a trade without having a target and intentions. I am never going to buy just to "be in the market" nor because they have "long term growth prospects". That is fine to buy for those reasons, but I think you still need a plan.

I agree that LT there are some great options and opportunities (CBA, SFR, MAP come to mind) with great dividends - but right now I dont have the capital to tie away in these.

Going forward I think having some proportion (most likely more than half) tied away in LT high dividend investments with capital gains potential is a good policy, with the rest used to put into medium term stuff.

SBM short term play success last week:

Before

Sportylake

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp254/Sportylake/?action=view&current=SBMST-1.jpg

After

Sportylake

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp254/Sportylake/?action=view&current=SBMSTcompleted.jpg

Not normally my style to go with such a short time frame like this (I am more of a medium time frame), but was successful. It has extended afterwoods to 2.40, but a nice 13-14c move like that can pay well using CFDs.

Here is also an update on EIO, which I know was popular here for a while. Like UNX and BMN, I think it is starting to take shape.

Sportylake

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp254/Sportylake/?action=view&current=EIO.jpg

If interested, check out EIO v WHN on a chart. Very very similar pricing patterns over the last 12 months of so. Not saying EIO will go bang, it was just something interesting I noticed while I was going through them. In fact, all of EIO WHN and UNX are similar.

Just on WHN, probably topped for the short term, but check out the monthly - just broken out of a downtrend and looks solid for long term upside probably to 8c.

for me, time in the market is the biggest falsehood... im all about buying fear and selling euphoria... capital growth outweighs dividend returns...

bhp is going to be looking real cheap soon... i may be encouraging family and relatives to set up self managed super funds just to over weight in bhp...

for me, time in the market is the biggest falsehood... im all about buying fear and selling euphoria... capital growth outweighs dividend returns...

bhp is going to be looking real cheap soon... i may be encouraging family and relatives to set up self managed super funds just to over weight in bhp...

I was more so, aiming at investing long term to ride out market fluctuations. Dividends don't really worry me. I'm interested in your thoughts on dividend re-investment as, I don't really see any benefit in receiving them especially with a small portfolio.

I would have some benchmarks for when to sell my shares as well but, my intention is long term.

anyone know the cost of using comsec (ie setting up an account ect) to buy speculative mining shares?

Bell Direct is far cheaper for the occasional buying and selling of shares.

$15 per trade (unless you're buying large parcels)

setting up an account is free.

trading is $29.95 (unless large parcels which are charged at a %)

or $19.95 if you have a commsec cash management account

re: dividends

its really all about your personal situation... if its not much money (like say, $50) take your gf/wife out to dinner i say... re-investing only changes your future profit/loss, may as well enjoy some of the fruits of your labor...

i know some guys who actually dividend strip for tax purposes... again, it depends on your situation (which tax bracket you fall in and how franked the shares are defines whether or not it is worth while etc) and im no expert in dividend stripping, but the basic idea is that you buy quite large parcels of shares shortly before the x-dividend date, then sell shortly after and profit from discrepancies in the price. i.e. a stock pays 50c dividend but the share price only falls 40c... some trades you make money, others you lose, but systems backtest to show good returns... its more about the franking/tax credits for high rollers...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back