Anyone know anything about dancing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So I'm thinking about taking some beginner dance lessons. I have very limited dance experience, and that's formal ballroom stuff (waltz/foxtrot/quickstep). I want something a bit more casual/popular. The three classes on offer are Latin, Salsa and Argentine Tango.

What's the difference, what's most popular, and what's going to be easiest to learn? I've tried looking on youtube but it's not totally clear, at least not from what I've seen.

Inb4lulzurgay.

I have friends who've done Salsa and really enjoyed it, that seems to be the most common one for 'casual' teaching here.

If I may ask how did you find learning the formal stuff? Starting to reach the 'my friends are getting married' stage and I wouldn't mind knowing a bit for using on the bridesmaids. :p

It was pretty good really. I didn't mind it at all - not that I did anything in-depth. It's a lot less 'sexy' than some of the Latin dances so that makes learning a lot more comfortable I imagine.

It's good to know how to waltz (especially for weddings) but I've never met a girl who can foxtrot or quickstep so that's been a bit useless really.

Tango is pretty useless unless you've got partner who you'll be dancing with regularly, it's not the type of dance you're going to pull out at a casual event as the music would ideally be tango specific.

Latin doesn't really mean one dance in particular it can be anything from the cha cha cha to the paso doble. Salsa is a more specific style, you move your hips and your feet a lot and not so much your upper body.

Either Salsa or Latin are great styles of dance to learn, good fun and you can use them casually if you're on a dancefloor solo or just mucking around at a wedding etc.

Latin covered Cha Cha Cha, Jive, Rumba and Samba where I did lessons for my wedding years ago

Tango Argentine and Salsa fall under Street Latin.

I would go with latin or salsa first as they are fairly easy to get the basics and move into the others if you are having fun

Head down to a relaxed bar and have yourself a few beers. I can't speak from experience, but I don't see how you can make that connection with your body with dance classes, where you're thinking about the next step/technique etc etc.

Dancing is awesome.

1) Drink 6 shots of Tequila.

2) Play this:

[youtube]AT5SqzoKy9M[/youtube]

3) Now you're dancing

Yeah, if you're a guy who can do it well and part of the 7% heterosexual-male contingent, you'd want for very little.

You really think the birds go in for it to that extent?

Head down to a relaxed bar and have yourself a few beers. I can't speak from experience, but I don't see how you can make that connection with your body with dance classes, where you're thinking about the next step/technique etc etc.
Once you're comfortable enough with the steps and techniques to stop having to concentrate on them, the rhythm comes naturally. The dances are designed with rhythm in mind so they augment natural movement.

I played a lot of music as a kid, have pretty good natural rhythm, and had no real problems dancing in clubs when I first went out. But I was pretty amazed at how much more comfortable a dancer I was after taking lessons - even though what I was learning (classical ballroom) was completely unrelated to the sort of dancing you do on a Saturday night.

You really think the birds go in for it to that extent?
It's a useful skill. At any sort of formal or semi-formal event, knowing how to dance properly is an advantage.

I don't ballroom dance very well but whenever I go to a wedding or black tie function, girls are pleasantly surprised that I know how to waltz properly (as opposed to shuffling around the floor). Most good girls schools teach them how to dance and by and large they enjoy it when they come across a partner who can execute a few basic moves and knows how to take the lead.

It's why I'm interested in learning something more casual. I think salsa is definitely the go after reading this thread; I've signed up. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, I'm more talking if you're proper good and get to hang round with dancers all the time, either as a job or at those weird competitions. It'd be like being a straight gymnast, except with less age-of-consent issues.

Ahhh yes, the lithe athletic hairless boy type bodies.

The pedophilic tendencies of women in general is a massively overlooked subject.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back