News ANZAC day 2020 - last post to be played at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice initiative with a simple recognition and respect to those who served.

THE AFL's annual Anzac Day ceremony will go ahead this year despite the COVID-19 enforced shutdown of matches, with the reciting of the Ode of Remembrance and a lone bugler playing Last Post to an empty MCG.

The ceremony will be broadcast on AFL.com.au, the AFL Live Official App, collingwoodfc.com.au (and the club's App), essendonfc.com.au (and the club's App), and other media platforms on Saturday...

Fans of all clubs, not just Essendon and Collingwood, will be encouraged to dress in club apparel and to pay their respects during the ode and when Last Post is played.

The AFL is encouraging fans to walk out into their yards, driveways and balconies during the ceremony, and to share their experiences on social media, all as part of support for the RSL's #STANDTO social media initiative and the Anzac appeal

I’m going to watch a replay of 2012.
Knowing we defeated the drug fuelled Bummers who, using that drug fuel, came back at us when we, without the drug benefit, tired late.
The fact that this was the season that Jobe was stripped of the medal only makes this game so much sweeter.
oh, GO SWANNY!
You can vote which game is broadcast Saturday. I went 2002 when we smashed them in the rain to really setup our season. You sell 2012 very well though.

This COVID stuff and the Eastern Fwy incident has given me a new insight and appreciation of our diggers. As someone who hasn't lived through a war while I respected the history and their loss it was difficult for me to imagine their reasons for fighting and what was at stake. We largely took for granted the freedoms and Australian way that the diggers fought and paid the ultimate sacrifice for. Now that COVID has suspended a lot of those freedoms and also the she'll be right mate carefree nature that we're so used to seeing each day I have a better understanding. Although it's through different circumstances and for me much less restricted COVID also provides an insight into the wartime restrictions and pressures faced by those at home.

The recent loss of Police lives gives a sense of camaraderie and the loss our diggers and their families would have felt each and every day albeit on a much smaller scale. While I didn't know the officers personally or even their names previously as someone with previous associations I felt a sense of loss and also helplessness.

It's easier to see why so many young Australian's signed up for war, but it would undoubtably be much harder to actually do so knowing there was a high chance you wouldn't return to your family. For the diggers who fought for our country, so we all could live better lives thank you.

LEST WE FORGET.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back