Aphex Twin

GroggSquad

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Selected Ambient Works 85–92 is easily one of my all time favourite albums.

It is truly incredible that a 21-year-old in 1992 was able to create an innovative electronic/dance/techno album that has aged so well (especially when you consider how dated the breakbeat hardcore “rave” style of dance music that was also popular at the time sounds today).

I'm surprised the author of that guardian article couldn't find room for Xtal in her top 20, it is easily one of his greatest and most popular tracks (my personal favourite on Selected Ambient Works 85–92).

Last edited:

Lyttelton Ranger

Squadron Leader
Mar 10, 2008
The Lord's Pyjamas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR
This was in the paper today:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/28/aphex-twin-best-songs-ranked

Have spent arvo at work listening to them one by one.

Truly one of the great musical minds and pioneers.

If this for example for example was released tomorrow, it would still sound so fresh and brilliant.

That is a weird list. I agree that the No.1 selection is a classic but at least 5 tracks don't belong there. I know the old mantra that musical opinions are subjective but an Aphex Twin top 20 list shouldn't exclude great tracks like Vordhosbn, icct Hedral (Philip Glass mix), Ventolin (Cyclob mix) and the iconic Come to Daddy.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I think drugks is my favourite. Just so much going on. He really pushed the limit of computer music.

Was playing this at home the other day and my missus, who is not a big electronic music fan, goes "This sounds familiar, it sounds like so many tracks from that time".

And it made me realise how influential this one alone was - how many artists literally tried to copy what he did here.

Also, lol, apparently he never wanted to press it to vinyl, preferring to keep it for live sets, and it was only when a friend got him high as s**t on acid could he be convinced to release it on vinyl.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I haven't listened to much Aphex Twin, but Ambient Works 85-92 has one of the most interesting vibes. There's a nice moodiness to it, but it's not at all depressing.

Obviously a pretty huge influence on artists like The Field, who I listen to quite a bit of.

Really have to run through some of these mid-range LP's again.

Selected Ambient Works 85–92 is easily one of my all time favourite albums.

It is truly incredible that a 21-year-old in 1992 was able to create an innovative electronic/dance/techno album that has aged so well (especially when you consider how dated the breakbeat hardcore “rave” style of dance music that was also popular at the time sounds today).

I'm surprised the author of that guardian article couldn't find room for Xtal in her top 20, it is easily one of his greatest and most popular tracks (my personal favourite on Selected Ambient Works 85–92).

Have been listening to the whole album again lately while working from home.

I've got out of the habit of listening to whole albums, from start to finish, which does the artist a disservice.

And yes, when Xtal comes on a second time I know I'm through the album, but also over an hour has gone and I've usually almost finished whatever task I was working on.

Brilliant working music - if you're in my industry which is very much words and writing. The whole album has an internal rhythm that's great for writing.

Seen him live twice - about a decade apart. Last time was at the Palace (RIP). Absolutely wild shows.
If he tours again (and we are allowed out past 9 PM), do yourself a favour.

Originally wrote that track to clear the dancefloor after parties ended lol.

Back