Game Day Around The Grounds - 2nd Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I think that it's more of a list management issue than a coaching issue for Port

The last four teams standing have incredible depth.

We all know the injuries Carlton has survived with yet you can point to several players who could have been selected on merit but were overlooked. This is the biggest difference in the Carlton list this year. Cripps has been well down in form and clearly playing injured but for the first time we have a host of players putting their hand up.

Although Brisbane have again had a pretty reasonable run with injuries, the overcome or adversity that in prior seasons. Their recording the VFL indicates a very strong list top to bottom.

Collingwood overcame a breakfast earlier in the year and suffered some injuries towards the back end of the season which temporarily derailed them but by and large have role players throughout the list, capable of playing a role for weeks of the time.

GWS possess talent and depth across park. They're absolutely high end are elite but fly under the radar compared to big clubs. They made fantastic use of recruiting players like Bedford from other clubs to fill out their list.

The depth of each list is substantially greater than what Port Adelaide has. Ports top end is as good as anyone in the competition but there are holes all over the list. Holes that when you get to finals get really badly exposed by teams with depth and role players in the lesser lights who are c capably playing their role.

Port are not too dissimilar to the Dogs. Their top end carries way too much of the load every week and carried them to finals. The Dogs weren't so fortunate. Both lists need a ton of work to compete with the best at the pointy end of the season and until that happens there's really not much Hinkley can do.

It takes a list.

My problem with GWS that them winning the flag that there's probably 100 people max who will give a ****.

No getting smashed, no lifelong memories, no celebrations, no joy. Just an artificial corporate club winning a meaningless flag for a city that doesn't care.
Still... better than Collingwood.

I'm on the GWS train! Playing with a freedom and confidence that is so good to watch.

Quite a few Collingwood fans with false bravado, but quietly shitting themselves as this is a must win for collingwood and their fans.

All I have heard and read and seen over the last 6 weeks has been:
  • Self professed 'best team in the competition'
  • Only lost 5 games
  • Minimal injuries
  • Finished a game and percentage clear on top
  • Won their first final
  • Got the weeks rest
  • Moore is good to go
  • Daicos will be right to go
  • Maynard got off
  • Final played on their home ground (MCG)
  • final played in front of their self professed 'Army'
Now they are playing GWS (who finished 7th in the H & A season) and have a 6-day break after having to travel from Sydney to Adelaide, Adelaide to Sydney, Sydney to Melbourne all within those 6 days.

It would be diabolical for them to lose this one..

As much as I hate it I can't help but feel that both us and GWS are set - done might say due - for a bit of a hammering.
I hope both clubs prove me wrong

Anyone but Collingwood (if it's not us).

if I was a pie supporter with any sense of reality (yeah, I know) right now gws would be the absolute last team I'd be wanting to play in a pf

Of the three remaining teams, I agree with this. Brisbane have the disappointment of the last few years to lose.

We have last year counting against this which adds pressure, perceived or otherwise ..

Florence team are the only team left standing that if they lose, they've already beaten expectations. If they win, Sky is the limit but nobody is expecting them to do so so they have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Aside from us, they're also the form team of the competition over the last couple of months and had to win everything almost to make it to the finals.

Think you're absolutely spot on. Still think they're in for hiding, but if there's a team that has no weight of expectations then it's them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back