storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Australia Cricket,League,Union team
John O'Neill's successor as chief executive of the ARU is likely to have a background in rugby union and could be announced over the next two weeks.
The Australian Rugby Union hope to appoint John O'Neill's successor as chief executive before Christmas, and it wants the successful applicant to have a background in rugby union, chairman Michael Hawker says.

On Monday the ARU streamlined its organisation by adopting an independent governance model to oversee the game, adopting models currently employed by the NRL and AFL.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/union/15608810/aru-hopes-to-have-new-ceo-by-christmas/

I hope by rugby background they don't mean they necessarily have to have a background as a rugby administrator. Some affinity with the game is good but I don't think it's bad if their experience is in another sport or in the corporate world. There's a couple of former senior AFL executives on the market at the moment and as the AFL is by far the best run sporting code in Australia I hope the ARU has one or two of them on their shortlist. Just look what's happened at the Reds since Jim Carmichael has started with them...they're targeting 40,000 members next year after getting over 30k this year. That's completely unheard of in Australian rugby. Lions will know more precise figures but I'm pretty sure in 2010 they had under 10k.

Adrian Anderson has just resigned from the AFL, he'd be a good choice. Don't know if he's played any rugby in his life or follows it, but I don't think it matters. He's relatively young too. Just make sure he knows who Will Genia and David Pocock are before he does the press conference and it should be sweet.

Adrian Anderson has just resigned from the AFL, he'd be a good choice. Don't know if he's played any rugby in his life or follows it, but I don't think it matters. He's relatively young too. Just make sure he knows who Will Genia and David Pocock are before he does the press conference and it should be sweet.

Hehe. He'd be a very good choice.

So the new CEO is Bill Pulver...former classmate and teammate of Michael Hawker at Shore (continuing the dominance of GPS old boys at the senior levels of Australian rugby). Experienced CEO in a variety of industries. Rugby the sport he loves and his son played in the Australian schoolboys team last year.

Deserves the benefit of the doubt and a year in charge to see what he brings to the table but on face value it seems a conservative choice...and if you want to be cynical a bit 'job for mates.'

Would be interesting to know who he beat for the role. I'm especially interested if Jim Carmichael put his hand up.

One feels that it is a make or break year coming up for Rugby Union as well. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Bill Pulver is taking the mantle. Bloke should hopefully go ok given his background

Remove this Banner Ad

Back