Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Just so everyone knows. The quote ‘Copeland’ has chosen to respond to by Timmy was posted during the game. When Ash was getting some looks at marks.

Copeland is the king of cheap shots. He should get a life.
You still crying. Maybe move on mate.

Well said jmac 👍 , he’s down on form & confidence , but so are many of his teammates atm, we all get the frustration as he has shown he can play well, but unfortunately not this year so far ….
It has nothing to do with being down on form as he does have many mates in that department. It is his absolute unwillingness or inability to apply any semblance of a contest or defensive pressure when the ball is in his vicinity. Schultz, Beau, Bobby and Billy have all had a quiet start to the season but each of these blokes chase, tackle and get involved when they don't have the pill.

Anyone can put their instagram account on private. And only allow those who they follow or follow them to comment on their posts. You can request that dm's are only received by those who follow you, you follow, or no one.

I tried but could not find a way to do it

Scrolled a few pages back and the abuse is disgusting. Even from a mod.

“Never again.”

The guy is a senior listed player and will most likely be selected again before the season is out.

Ash deserves better.

Only IF he Improves hit output and Effort a lot more

He is being played in a role he is not suited.

Ash is ideally a 3rd medium marking option. Not a kpf.

Imo during preseason his best form came when he and Reef both started as deep forwards.
One would block or dummy lead for the other and it worked well. Reef was the main man of the 2.

Our AFL forwards are more disjointed and lacking a bit of selfless play to help create space.

Yes AJ needs to work harder both on amount of leads and also defensively. But imo he is not playing a role conducive to getting his best footy.

That will never happen.

Social media companies just need to police their platforms, or if they won't, get the law to force them to.
Lol. You know the people that own these social media platforms? They're the worst type of racist, misogynistic, narcissists. As if they're going to police something they allow, endorse & encourage.

People need to be called out. Some can be educated. Others need to be shamed.

Once the message is sent & read. The damage has already been done.

Lol. You know the people that own these social media platforms? They're the worst type of racist, misogynistic, narcissists. As if they're going to police something they allow, endorse & encourage.

People need to be called out. Some can be educated. Others need to be shamed.

Once the message is sent & read. The damage has already been done.

You can't shame or call people out who make anonymous posts on social media. Half the time they want people to react to it.

It'll never stop until we remove the anonymity from social media.

I’m not privy to any of the messages but I’m curious why this is creating such histeria. Players have been vilified by fans and opponents since time immemorial.

If it wasn’t racist, sexist or any of the other protected categories then there is nothing to discuss. Unless we are finally coming around to the fact no one deserves to be treated that way?

Madge and Callum Brown would be happy!

I’m not privy to any of the messages but I’m curious why this is creating such histeria. Players have been vilified by fans and opponents since time immemorial.

If it wasn’t racist, sexist or any of the other protected categories then there is nothing to discuss. Unless we are finally coming around to the fact no one deserves to be treated that way?

Use your brain. Your second paragraph contains the answer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can't shame or call people out who make anonymous posts on social media. Half the time they want people to react to it.

It'll never stop until we remove the anonymity from social media.
Or stop using social media.

It is a blight on society.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to AJ.

I'm also concerned that this week was avoidable. Fly regularly said he "wants to set players up for success", primarily as a reason for non-selection.

After the GWS game, it was patently obvious that if AJ failed again this week, the scrutiny would significantly intensify.

I realise it is a fine line between backing your players in and being trigger happy with selection, but they should have considered what would happen if AJ failed to show appropriate contest levels again.

He is being played in a role he is not suited.

Ash is ideally a 3rd medium marking option. Not a kpf.

Imo during preseason his best form came when he and Reef both started as deep forwards.
One would block or dummy lead for the other and it worked well. Reef was the main man of the 2.

Our AFL forwards are more disjointed and lacking a bit of selfless play to help create space.

Yes AJ needs to work harder both on amount of leads and also defensively. But imo he is not playing a role conducive to getting his best footy.
This is the problem with our key position players
Howe, Murphy, Checkers, Dean, Johnson and Reef are all undersized and expected to play above and beyond
It then also leaves Moore and Cox exposed trying to cover for all of them

Just so everyone knows. The quote ‘Copeland’ has chosen to respond to by Timmy was posted during the game. When Ash was getting some looks at marks.

Copeland is the king of cheap shots. He should get a life.
It wasn’t an accurate comment at the time either

Scrolled a few pages back and the abuse is disgusting. Even from a mod.

“Never again.”

The guy is a senior listed player and will most likely be selected again before the season is out.

Ash deserves better.
You know what? I understand your post but have to disagree.
Body language is a big indicator of attitude, how many times did we see him look towards the controlling umpire after something had gone against him and begin to put up a complaint? The answer, every time from what I saw.
He has the ability, we have seen that in 2022. He was a good pinch-hitter in the ruck when we had the vacancy.
He appears to only want to run straight and when he misses the ball is far too slow to pull up and double back. That is laziness, almost like he's given his big effort and now I'll wait for the next accurate pass to drop straight in my lap. That marking contest against Sydney the other night, he attempted to use his body to force the opponent under the ball. He's not that type of player and gave his opponent the mark.
I'm not seeing enough desperation for the $350-$400k we are paying. Jamie Elliott isn't having the greatest start yet his activity when not in the contest tells me it's only a matter of time before he's back. We've seen the same thing from AJ most times he's played.
Personal abuse IS disgusting however analysis of his playing performance is warranted

This is social media.
Yeah, I suppose so.

However, I'm talking about the more recent phenomena of social networks - Insta, Facebook, Twitter.

This is an actively moderated forum that existed prior to their creation. While it has had its own issues with trolling and objectionable speech at times, the potential exposure is not remotely the same. All players had to do was "not read BigFooty", which most had probably never heard of.

Modern social networks connect players directly with the public in an unmoderated environment! That is the real issue.

Naivety of this comment is breathtaking. Today Social Media offers a medium for villification far greater and more destructive than at anytime past.

Last edited:
Back to AJ.

I'm also concerned that this week was avoidable. Fly regularly said he "wants to set players up for success", primarily as a reason for non-selection.

After the GWS game, it was patently obvious that if AJ failed again this week, the scrutiny would significantly intensify.

I realise it is a fine line between backing your players in and being trigger happy with selection, but they should have considered what would happen if AJ failed to show appropriate contest levels again.
Damned if you do damned if you don’t…..

Damned if you do damned if you don’t…..
Fair call. I still believe it was the wrong decision not to drop him after last week's performance.

I may be in the minority, but I believe that their selection process over the last couple of years has been an area that could have been significantly improved on.

I suspect they were on the fence themselves, as the message of "sticking with our players" didn't appear to be a very strong defense.

Fair call. I still believe it was the wrong decision not to drop him after last week's performance.

I may be in the minority, but I believe that their selection process over the last couple of years has been an area that could have been significantly improved on.

I suspect they were on the fence themselves, as the message of "sticking with our players" didn't appear to be a very strong defense.
From all reports reef didn’t exactly light up the vfl game.

If reef does come in he will prob cop the exact same unfortunately given we are 0/2.

He seems to be a confidence player. Had he held onto that mark early in the game then he could have gone on with it.

As things stand now, he will need to show significant improvement in the VFL to get another chance.

To be fair, he was one of many players with an effort rating below the level required.

I think you were in the majority. The minorities thought it better to give him a second chance . Sometimes there’s no right or wrong answer to these questions until after the fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back