Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

And no doubt with the start he has had combined with the vile abuse he's copped, his confidence has taken a beating.

Wouldn't hurt for everyone to just give it a rest on AJ for a while.

I said nothing to him Personally

And no doubt with the start he has had combined with the vile abuse he's copped, his confidence has taken a beating.

This. Ash was subject to appalling trolling. Wonder if some of the heroes who dished it out are now lining up to crucify him.

He and the club are fully aware of the social media pile on TD. You don’t need to meet the guy to have an impact on his mental health, through abusive posts. Saying that, I’m not accusing you of abuse, but it’s been out there.

He and the club are fully aware of the social media pile on TD. You don’t need to meet the guy to have an impact on his mental health, through abusive posts. Saying that, I’m not accusing you of abuse, but it’s been out there.

So we just have to sit and Postive without Calling out his Poor Form?

Then people in the Media should not be allowed to either then

No he doesn't. He didn't even bring any tools to the VFL game today. Like hiring a plumber who turns up empty handed expecting to detect a crack underground in a pipe. On today's performance, he will spend the year loping around the ground at VFL level. This confidence stuff is nonsense because he has either had none since the season started or more truthfully he just does not have what is required to play AFL football. He didn't even look capable of succeeding at VFL level today. Could not have been more disappointing if he had wanted to be.
I just think he lacks urgency. If it was me, I would be trying to prove everyone wrong. If he's still struggling with confidence, then it might be too late. Has the whole season to turn it around, if he really wants it

So we just have to sit and Postive without Calling out his Poor Form?

Then people in the Media should not be allowed to either then

No TD. There’s criticism and then there’s abuse. There’s a difference.

Critique his poor form and performances in the first two games. But don’t combine it with abuse.

I never said you did. But how many times do the same people need to keep saying the same thing.

Yes, he's playing poorly. Yes, he's a confidence player. Clearly, he is lacking confidence. And piling on him consistently is helping who? We get it, he's not playing well.

Poor bloke has copped it from people online, at the ground & he's probably feeling like crap.

How many times do people need to keep saying he's playing poorly during the one game?

No he doesn't. He didn't even bring any tools to the VFL game today. Like hiring a plumber who turns up empty handed expecting to detect a crack underground in a pipe. On today's performance, he will spend the year loping around the ground at VFL level. This confidence stuff is nonsense because he has either had none since the season started or more truthfully he just does not have what is required to play AFL football. He didn't even look capable of succeeding at VFL level today. Could not have been more disappointing if he had wanted to be.
While not denying he was poor at best, it does not stop him been a confidence player or have the talent
It’s how he approaches it and proForms which he has so far has not

Have to agree with this Vicky, there is definitely NO place for personal abuse of players. Criticism is a fair cop, supporters are passionate, even emotional. But keep it within the lanes of preparedness and performance.

I really don't understand this label of "confidence player" to explain everything. I have no doubt that confidence will fix somes stuff when he gets his hands on the ball but it doesn't take confidence to chase hard, tackle, put pressure on and work for your team mates. That's effort and I think that's where people are critical - a perceived lack of effort/care about his own output/contribution.

Lachie Schultz isn't getting much happening on the scoreboard at the moment , but I don't think too many question his effort.

Last edited:
I really don't understand this label of "confidence player" to explain everything. I have no doubt that confidence will fix somes stuff when he gets his hands on the ball but it doesn't take confidence to chase hard, tackle, put pressure on and work for your team mates. That's effort and I think that's where people are critical - a perceived lack of effort/care about his own output/contribution.

Lachie Schultz isn't getting much happening on the scoreboard at the moment , but I don't think too many question his effort.

Everybody is different.

Everybody is different.

Yep - some are cut out for footy (at any level) and some aren't. Even when Ash had confidence and was taking marks/kicking goals I never got the feeling he was interested in exerting himself much beyond that initial effort and that'll get you cut at most levels of serious footy eventually.

I have no doubt Ash is a lovely bloke and he doesn't deserve any of the vile abuse that's been directed his way , but I fear his natural talent is destined to be unrealised and that's a shame. IMHO it comes down to attitude more than anything and I'm sure he's been told numerous times what's expected , so..........ball's in his court but time's running out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - some are cut out for footy (at any level) and some aren't. Even when Ash had confidence and was taking marks/kicking goals I never got the feeling he was interested in exerting himself much beyond that initial effort and that'll get you cut at most levels of serious footy eventually.

I have no doubt Ash is a lovely bloke and he doesn't deserve any of the vile abuse that's been directed his way , but I fear his natural talent is destined to be unrealised and that's a shame. IMHO it comes down to attitude more than anything and I'm sure he's been told numerous times what's expected , so..........ball's in his court but time's running out.
I'm just not interested in adding to the pile on. He's copped plenty over the past few weeks.

If he was an 20yo and in his second year, then confidence could be an issue. Ash is 26yo and just keeps producing the same results everytime he gets selected. I just think he lacks urgency and might not want it as bad as we all hope

No TD. There’s criticism and then there’s abuse. There’s a difference.

Critique his poor form and performances in the first two games. But don’t combine it with abuse.

What is Stepping over the Line?

I know Racist not allowed

I'm just not interested in adding to the pile on. He's copped plenty over the past few weeks.

I think I've made a total of 3 or 4 posts this year (before today) in this thread so I don't consider myself part of any pile on. Just discussing the footy and our list respectfully. I don't want to create any angst so I'll move along.

Last edited:
The late success story you refer to occurred in the same draft in 2016. Elliott Himmelberg went at 51; Nick Larkey at pick 73, Mitch Lewis at 76, Rowan Marshall Pick 10 of the Rookie Draft & Cam Zurhaar Pick 11 of the Rookie Draft. Otherwise KPF picks outside the top 16 have failed with the exception of Oscar Allen at pick 21 in 2017 & possibly Jake Riccardi at pick 51 in 2019

Nick Larkey at 73 and Mitch Lewis at 76 are just extraordinary. If only we could jag a genuine full forward with such a speculative pick!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This. Ash was subject to appalling trolling. Wonder if some of the heroes who dished it out are now lining up to crucify him.
I have no idea about the abuse and have only fleetingly heard about it on here. I have no idea what occurred, and don't really believe it relates to a discussion of Johnson's ability and likelihood of becoming an AFL player. He will be 27 in June. It's not like he is closer to the beginning of his career than the end, with a genuine chance to work on issues of concern.

Each year we highlight the same strengths and areas needing improvement with him and place a significant amount of hope in him meeting expectations, particularly this year with McStay absent from the side. Everyone wanted him to succeed, but already we're looking to McInnes and even the perennially injured Kreuger to fill the hole left by Dan.

It's a shame that a promising career is being allowed to fizzle out in this manner.

Ash Johnson has all the potential to be anything and you can see it in the way that he plays. I think he just needs to learn and play the basics again. Just watching him every play he tries to do something special like he’s the best and flashiest player in the comp. Just get back to competing adding some pressure to your game and he will be right. Right now just looks lazy, uncompetitive and wants to do the spectacular and that’s it.

Ash Johnson has all the potential to be anything and you can see it in the way that he plays. I think he just needs to learn and play the basics again. Just watching him every play he tries to do something special like he’s the best and flashiest player in the comp. Just get back to competing adding some pressure to your game and he will be right. Right now just looks lazy, uncompetitive and wants to do the spectacular and that’s it.
Yeah I agree with you.
By all reports he was quite physical during the pre-season, but it seems he has fallen into the trap of waiting to do something flashy during games.

I wonder if he should be tried further up the ground, where he can get a lot more involved in the game. Why not even try him as a defender in the VFL?

I'm starting to think that maybe he doesn't have the potential that everyone talks about. In his first year he seemed to have sticky hands and he played a couple of decent games but that was about it. Since then, he has failed to make an impact every time he's called up to the senior side. He comes across as your typical country/lower league type forward, where they get a run and jump at the ball easily. In the big leagues, he's not getting that opportunity to jump and as a result, he's never really had a ground ball game. I think he needs to to start doing some aggressive leading and constantly offering himself up on the lead. Ash has the chance to really take his game to another level but only if he really wants it bad enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back