Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Tarrant or Leon Davis ?
Neon Leon.

This just shows that players have the skills, ( at AFL level ) to adapt.

Wasn't Checkers a defender for most of his career prior to Collingwood?
He kicked 4 goals in his first game - should have kicked 6.
Doubt he's played a defender role for Collingwood since.
Highest Goal scorer for a long period - give or take

Cox did extremely well in defense against Sydney.
In reality, Cox probably had more of a chance of playing AFL than AJ did

We need AJ in the side and performing.
Maybe not taking speckies and kicking goals, but further up the ground taking marks and kicking the ball forward
60m from 1 step.

Rags to riches story - from where he came from to where he is now - obsolete.

He wears the Collingwood jumper, he has great skills, we need him to perform and we need to find somewhere for him to perform.

We're zip -3 this year, lets utilize this giy

Neon Leon.

This just shows that players have the skills, ( at AFL level ) to adapt.

Wasn't Checkers a defender for most of his career prior to Collingwood?
He kicked 4 goals in his first game - should have kicked 6.
Doubt he's played a defender role for Collingwood since.
Highest Goal scorer for a long period - give or take

Cox did extremely well in defense against Sydney.
In reality, Cox probably had more of a chance of playing AFL than AJ did

We need AJ in the side and performing.
Maybe not taking speckies and kicking goals, but further up the ground taking marks and kicking the ball forward
60m from 1 step.

Rags to riches story - from where he came from to where he is now - obsolete.

He wears the Collingwood jumper, he has great skills, we need him to perform and we need to find somewhere for him to perform.

We're zip -3 this year, lets utilize this giy
Whilst Checkers was a defender for some of his career, he did play games forward for Burnie in the TSL, in representative games and some matches in the VFL.

Cox was good for us all over the ground as a mark. However, we're not playing him as a key defender all the time.

AJ would need some time to learn a new position and it's not a matter of just being tall and jumping in packs. Really, if there was another position, it's as a ruck.

Ash isn't going to bounce straight back up, he will need to really turn it on in a couple of games and demand a spot if he is to get back, at the moment it's no certainty to happen

If AJ plays as poorly as he has done at all levels so far this year, there ain’t too many options left for him.

My thoughts are, stick him on a wing at VFL level and see.
One wing spot will definitely be up for grabs this year or next year at the latest
Ash has the speed, height and athleticism to be a formidable winger.
The club needs to challenge his application and work rate and leave the guy nowhere to hide.
As a forward he’s almost taking the piss and I can’t see a spot there for him.

If AJ plays as poorly as he has done at all levels so far this year, there ain’t too many options left for him.

My thoughts are, stick him on a wing at VFL level and see.
One wing spot will definitely be up for grabs this year or next year at the latest
Ash has the speed, height and athleticism to be a formidable winger.
The club needs to challenge his application and work rate and leave the guy nowhere to hide.
As a forward he’s almost taking the piss and I can’t see a spot there for him.

I don’t think he has the speed or the tank to play wing.

He could play half-back, but his tackling isn’t up to scratch.

Ash would have to have a remarkable turnaround to salvage his season. He repeatedly plays the same everytime he's selected. Even his VFL form is poor. I would love for him to magicly become a star but my senses tell me he might not

Ash would have to have a remarkable turnaround to salvage his season. He repeatedly plays the same everytime he's selected. Even his VFL form is poor. I would love for him to magicly become a star but my senses tell me he might not
He'll play some excellent VFL footy at some stage this year. Don't know if he'll get another look into the seniors though.

The only way Ash will salvage his season is if McStay plays again this season and Ash is allowed to play as a third tall. That's all he really is.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The only way Ash will salvage his season is if McStay plays again this season and Ash is allowed to play as a third tall. That's all he really is.

Would that involve McStay taking backup ruck duties? I’m not sure that’s the best balance unless Cox doesn’t improve

What is his contract status?

Has his form and effort dropped after signing? Happens with some players that are just content with pay check.

2 year contract last year so 2025

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was playing that role in the VFL …

Chris Tarrant or Leon Davis ?

01-04 Chris Tarrant was one of the hardest working forwards the game has seen.
Regularly clocked up 15k to 17k when GPS tracked. For context J.Hird as mid clocked up 16.5km as midfielder and the same season Taz hit 16.9km on player trackers.

It was this that a young Nick Reiwoldt based his game off coming from him in an early career interview.

That work rate and dedication allowed the switch along with his overall elite athletic package.

Ash is a confidence player, got the tools, but has he got the smarts to overcome it
No he doesn't. He didn't even bring any tools to the VFL game today. Like hiring a plumber who turns up empty handed expecting to detect a crack underground in a pipe. On today's performance, he will spend the year loping around the ground at VFL level. This confidence stuff is nonsense because he has either had none since the season started or more truthfully he just does not have what is required to play AFL football. He didn't even look capable of succeeding at VFL level today. Could not have been more disappointing if he had wanted to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back