Toast Ashley Sampi - Glendinning-Allan Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

UseR2006

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

West reporting that Sampi will get his medal before the derby later in the year.

About time he was recognised. It was rubbish he got robbed in that 2003 derby.

Why was it overridden??? I bet Nesbit was involved

Ross Glendinning thought Gardiner should’ve been BOG so called out his name instead of Sampi’s who had been voted the winner

Former West Coast Eagle Ashley Sampi finally gets his medal from Ross Glendinning for 2003 derby dominance​

Ashley Sampi and Ross Glendinning have expressed relief that the 20-year wait for the former Eagle to be recognised for his best on ground performance in the 2003 derby is over after he was presented with a Glendinning-Allan Medal on Friday.
It took 20 years and more than 7400 days for Sampi to be recognised for his four goals against Fremantle in 2003. A teenager at the time, Sampi was voted as best on ground by five judges, but ruckman Michael Gardiner was presented the medal after Glendinning deemed him the game’s most dominant player. Glendinning now admits he made the wrong call.

a60f49c774fadbac5fff721458c6fa5a90b9dcc0.jpg

That decision has gone down in derby folklore, especially considering the West Australian Football Commission approved medals to be presented to players who were best on ground before the award was struck in 2001, and still failed to recognise Sampi.
But following years of lobbying, and after Sampi broke his silence by telling The West Australian about his desire to have a medal to give to his family in March, the WAFC finally relented and approved him being named as a joint winner with Gardiner.
He received his medal from Glendinning with several members of his family present at West Coast’s derby lunch at Crown Perth on Friday.

459f75acd06e60f56aaadcf7abded1fcf1f5ec6f.jpg

“I’m feeling pretty good. I’m glad this is finally over,” Sampi told The West Australian.
“This is special. I look back on that day and know I played my part for the team by kicking four goals. What happened afterwards was out of my control.
“My job was to play footy and I’m glad I had a good game. I get a lot of questions about the medal. Today is for my family and kids. It’s something they will cherish.”

20bb532796f465394186de91b5db60a355a492fe.jpg

Fans will be able to celebrate Sampi’s moment when he appears on the big screen at Optus Stadium during Saturday night’s game.
Glendinning said he is thrilled Sampi is now a medallist.
“I was rapt when this was going to be pushed through by the Commission and the club,” Glendinning told The West Australian.

0e7dd9fa45872cfd6bfb82b999fefd326060079f.jpg

“I was asked if I would endorse and of course I would. When you see the highlights again, he was a very good player on the day.
“Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you don’t. I got it wrong. I admit that and that’s fine. I’m just glad now Ash was able to accept that we can present one to him. It’s a wonderful way to do it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said his son is much more talented at 8 or 12 than he was, pity no father son opportunities for him. You'd think he would have done much better playing now with all of the extra support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back