Aussie Rules participation vs the other 5 football codes globally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahaha. So what are the numbers in these Southern Hemisphere countries? Remembering you're the one who mentioned half of Europe.

Still waiting for a link to back up you're posts. I'd love to be proved wrong, I love the game but outside of Australia and Nauru it's not even drawing numbers.
He hasn't got a link because there isn't one.
If there was he would have posted it by now.
The 100,000 figure he come up with is pure tosh.

What league was that ? The social league? Is that where you met your danish friends Hahaha.
Geez for such an expert you're so quick to dismiss other people's experience, Tell me again what your experience is?

I played Conference. Hung out with fellow players from the Premiership and social leagues.

I never said they were Danish, they were Australians (2 from Adelaide, 1 from Katherine, 1 from Albury) who played and lived in Denmark.

If you could work that down to population per player that would be better.
Id say the Irish would have us.
About 1% of Ireland's population plays Gaelic. Nearly 3% of Australians play AFL. Massive difference. I'm unsure on the population of the 27 countries of soccer, but I'd guess we're ahead per capita for them as well.

Geez for such an expert you're so quick to dismiss other people's experience, Tell me again what your experience is?

I played Conference. Hung out with fellow players from the Premiership and social leagues.

I never said they were Danish, they were Australians (2 from Adelaide, 1 from Katherine, 1 from Albury) who played and lived in Denmark.
He's never played the game and he's never left Australia. He has no links. He's talking 100%tosh.

The blog only quotes 650,000 Australian Football players registered within Australia. (Other sources are higher)

The AFL reported 581,000 Australian football participants in 2006. It reported 638,000 in 2007.

They've completely neglected the 100k+ players that are registered overseas as playing Australian Football on an oval.

Thats because that figure was completely made up - the AFL didnt release a 100k overseas figure in its annual reports before 2012. In addition playing on an oval has never been a qualifier in the reporting numbers. The AFLs 2008 Annual Report says the figures are lower

In addition to the 693,052 participants in Australia, there are also 45,204 players overseas with key statistics showing:
  • Participation in 41 countries, with 14 nations affiliated with the AFL.
  • 295 teams participating across 47 leagues
  • 45,204 participants (about 27,000 juniors, 8000 youth and 10,000 seniors).
I don't believe those participants in other forms of AR are included.

The figures specifically refer to participants - including school and community programs.

The Official Figures - as of 2014

The 2014 Annual Report puts total Australian participation - including auskick and school programs lasting at least 6 weeks, 9s and club football at 1.017 million participants.(2014 Annual report, pg 91)

This is broken down in the following
  • NAB AFL Auskick – 178,552 (up 3.5 per cent).
  • Club football – 331,304 (up 3.1 per cent). Our game’s community football infrastructure, consisting of 266 leagues, 2695 clubs, 13,531 teams and 331,304 participants
  • School football – 457,427 (up 13.6 per cent). In 2014, there were 25,927 inter and intra-school teams in AFL competitions that were greater than six weeks in duration. In addition to inter and intra-school competitions, the AFL development network conducts carnivals and knockout competitions involving 143,923 students.
  • AFL 9s – 50,552 (up 21.3 per cent). In 2014, 50,552 people participated in this format of the game across social competitions and Active After School Community (AASC) sessions.
Female Participation

In 2014, 194,966 girls and women (15 per cent growth) participated in NAB AFL Auskick, AFL 9s, club and schools football programs. (pg 99, 2014 AFL 2014 Annual Report)
  • Clubs – 14,820.
  • Schools – 155,204.
  • AFL 9s – 14,654.
  • Auskick – 27,373
By State (AFL 2014 Annual Report, pg 110-111)
  • NSW - Participation grew by seven per cent from 2013 to a record 190,072.
  • Tas - Overall participation numbers across all competitions and programs increased from 36,260 in 2013 to 37,261 in 2014 (an increase of nearly three per cent).
  • SA - Participants increased by nearly 1000 to a total in excess of 114,000 for 2014
  • WA - Overall football participation in WA increased by 10.67 per cent to 178,651. Female participation increased from 18,000 to 28,000. 32,303 children played NAB AFL Auskick.
  • Vic - Total participation numbers reached 290,998 – an 8.7 per cent increase.
  • QLD - Total participation reached 180,132 – 14.2 per cent more than 2013 and the largest increase since 2008. Queensland achieved the highest female participation in Australia with 51,722 girls and women playing the game – up 30 per cent. Queensland again recorded the largest AFL school participation in Australia with 117,432 primary and secondary school students playing the game.
  • NT - There was a 19.9 per cent participation growth for a total of 35,539 Territory-wide participants, with the number of clubs growing from 129 to 143, equating to 10.8 per cent growth.
International
  • Participation of over 127,000 with an additional 87,000 involved in promotional activities. (AFL 2014 Annual Report, pg 112)
  • The 2009 AFL Annual report specifically mentions that participant numbers in the Pacific Islands
    topped 28,000. This was out of a total international participation that year of 52,908.
International Country and league figures
(as told to me by their presidents and national staff last year in various interviews you can find in the international footy forum here)
  • AFL Europe - 21 nations. There are 127 male teams and 5 female teams in the zone. There are around 50 youth teams, mostly based in the United Kingdom. The number of Australian football players in Europe has cleared 5,000 registered participants, with a lot of those in the United Kingdom, and that the numbers have grown year on year since they began to be collected a couple of years ago. [Interview here]
  • AFL New Zealand - There are 30,000 participants in Australian football programs in New Zealand. Of these 95% are based in Kiwikick – the New Zealand variety of Auskick. Expatriate Australians would make up less than 2% of the total.There are currently five Australian Football Leagues in New Zealand, the most recent addition being Otago, with leagues also based in Auckland, Canterbury (200 players, 4 senior sides), Waikito, and Wellington. [Interview here]
  • USAFL - There are 35 teams in the USAFL - matches between these sides are generally on oval shaped fields, however due to distance teams play as few as 8-10 games a year, including Nationals). Many teams have a metro team, essentially local ten a side competitions that are run by and act as feeders to larger clubs, and can lead to selection in the main city side. These are typically played on rugby, soccer or american football fields. The number of players in the USAFL is somewhat nebulous, as players only register with the league if they intend to play in the nationals. Consequently the USAFL knows it has at least 1,000 players, but Ryan says that the total number of players including metro competitions is likely to be as high as 1,400 – 1,500 at most. [Interview here]
  • AFL Asia - There are 21 clubs involved in AFL Asia. Most clubs will play 14 or 16 a side locally but games like the Indochina cup and Asian Championships will be 18 a side.
  • China - 80 players turned up from four local teams in the Guangdo area. Of the four teams, only one contained expatriate players, with the vast majority of players being of chinese origin. There are three other clubs in a south china league, as well as clubs in Shanghai and Beijing.
  • Croatia - The league has grown from those 6 expatriate Australians to around 50 players, with no expatriate Australians. The league plays 9 a side.
  • Fiji - Two senior teams, There are approximately 50 core players of Australian Football in Fiji over the age of 16.
  • Finland - The League consists of about 100 players, with around 25 Australians. Two of the 4 teams are almost completely stocked by guys from Finland, and the other two teams are around 50/50.
  • France - There are approximately 200 Australian Football players in France with about 5% - 10-12 players at most - being expatriate Australians. Today there are nine clubs in France, with seven clubs in the main competition the CNFA. There are also three womens sides
  • Germany - There are around 250 players in Germany now, with expatriate Australians making up about 1/3rd of that number.There are 6 major teams in Germany with teams joining from Cologne (Rheinland) and Stuttgart. An additional side based in Dresden competes in the Czech AFL league. In addition several cities have 9 a side metro teams that feed the major sides. They play 16 a side, or 18 a side if agreed to by the other side. The field is an oval in shape, but generally in parks marked out with cones.
  • Iceland - Did have three teams, but now has two, including Solvirs team, Akureyri and another based in the nations capital, Rejkavik. There are about 40 Australian Rules players in Iceland.
  • India - Indian football is City/State based, with one major team supported by district sides. In total, there are roughly 500-600 players in six states in India, which includes 4-5 womens teams. There are 250 players in the state of West Bengal alone.
  • Indonesia - There are currently three teams in AFL Indonesia that are composed primarily of expatrtiate Australians. The expatratiate based sides can attract anywhere from 50-60 players, while the Garuda’s have access to about fifty Indonesian nationals
  • Ireland - there are 200 club players in the Irish competition, with about 15-20 expatriate Australians on average. Today the league consists of 6 mens teams and 3 womens teams.
  • Japan - there are about 120 players in 8 teams, with roughly 80% Japanese players. Three quarters of the teams feature a majority of Japanese players. Matches are played under a 9 a side format with games played every 3 weeks, except for a break in August. All teams play each other once during the season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 1% of Ireland's population plays Gaelic. Nearly 3% of Australians play AFL. Massive difference. I'm unsure on the population of the 27 countries of soccer, but I'd guess we're ahead per capita for them as well.

Mate if you know Ireland you know that is wrong. You are being misled by adult numbers. The island population is about 6.2 million The gaelic playing population in Ireland is about 180,000 to 200000 and that excludes girls/women. About 2,000 clubs nationwide field an average of 2 adult and 5 juvenile teams about 14,000 teams of 15 players. The fact that so many play in 2 juvenile teams limits the actual playing population to about 200,000 max and probably marginally less.

The Ladies game which is separately administered has about 1,000 clubs nationwide and probably in the region of 50,000 players though stats there are more difficult to pindown.

You really do have to know Ireland to know how widespread and popular playing Gaelic footy is. Trust me because I know this culture well. Any stats suggesting that 1% play gaelic in Ireland are way off the mark and can only sensible be explained by the exclusion of all but adult men.

Last edited:
Chip I know Ireland and the GAA so turst me on this.

Participation is about 180,000 for football all in About 3,000 adult teams with about 60,000 players and about twice as many youth/juvenile.

Hurling has about 100,000 participants.

According to the Irish Sports Monitor 2013 report (what looks like the old ERASS reports we got here)
  • Participation in sport has risen from 44.8% to 47.2% (equivalent to almost 1.7 million Irish adults participating in sport regularly). Google tells me the population of Ireland in 2013 was 4.595 million.
  • Gaelic Football had a participation rate in 2013 of 2.6% - 119,470 persons.
  • Gaelic Football remains the most commonly attended form of sporting event with 6.7% attending a fixture, followed by soccer (5.4%). The increase in attendance at rugby fixtures since 2009 is also noteworthy, with attendance levels almost twice the level of four years ago
The world wide numbers are hard to categorise, as clubs and players are generally lumped together into the general GAA figures. This article suggests that 20% of the GAA clubs in the world are located outside Ireland. With all this in mind, my best guess is Gaelic football accounts for about 130,000 players around the world.

Last edited:
And why would you?
I've never seen an article about the growth of other codes around the world either.
Let me rephrase that.

I've never read an article about anything to do with aussie rules in the Mail&Guardian. Looking at one of the Danish tabloids I see one article about aussie rules - the death of phil walsh, complete with a file photo of Lleyton Hewitt doing the crows jumper proud. Gotta love those Slowdowns.

http://www.bt.dk/oevrig-sport/tragedie-rammer-australsk-fodbold-traener-draebt-soennen-anholdt

It's always an aussie telling you how huge the game is overseas because he can scratch together 15 expats in some random country and got a game up. Without goal posts. The road is out of bounds on that side, the creek on that side.

Time to call overseas expansion for what it is - australian news for australian readers. Don't criticise the game at home, we have these magnificent tales of foreign conquest to tell! It's a complete fabrication.

The world wide numbers are hard to categorise, as clubs and players are generally lumped together into the general GAA figures. This article suggests that 20% of the GAA clubs in the world are located outside Ireland. With all this in mind, my best guess is Gaelic football accounts for about 130,000 players around the world.
The international GAA figures are primarily the USA. s**t loads of clubs. There's historical reasons for that. About a 1/4 of the US population traced its heritage to Ireland about 20 years ago. It may have declined a little with the influx of hispanic populations, but the Irish are still culturally important in the wider scheme. America is still highly revered in Ireland.

Let me rephrase that.

I've never read an article about anything to do with aussie rules in the Mail&Guardian. Looking at one of the Danish tabloids I see one article about aussie rules - the death of phil walsh, complete with a file photo of Lleyton Hewitt doing the crows jumper proud. Gotta love those Slowdowns.

http://www.bt.dk/oevrig-sport/tragedie-rammer-australsk-fodbold-traener-draebt-soennen-anholdt

It's always an aussie telling you how huge the game is overseas because he can scratch together 15 expats in some random country and got a game up. Without goal posts. The road is out of bounds on that side, the creek on that side.

Time to call overseas expansion for what it is - australian news for australian readers. Don't criticise the game at home, we have these magnificent tales of foreign conquest to tell! It's a complete fabrication.

And your a troll.

Theres plenty of news out there about overseas footy if you can be bothered looking for it. And theres plenty of ignorant people out there who think its just a bunch of expats running around in the park because they cant or wont do any research on the matter before trolling australian football fans.

Expansion isnt about column inches. it never has been. Like any minority sport in foreign territory, news articles are going to be few and far between.

The international GAA figures are primarily the USA. s**t loads of clubs. There's historical reasons for that. About a 1/4 of the US population traced its heritage to Ireland about 20 years ago. It may have declined a little with the influx of hispanic populations, but the Irish are still culturally important in the wider scheme. America is still highly revered in Ireland.

You of course have supporting data for this, or just guesswork?

And your a troll.

Theres plenty of news out there about overseas footy if you can be bothered looking for it. And theres plenty of ignorant people out there who think its just a bunch of expats running around in the park because they cant or wont do any research on the matter before trolling australian football fans.

Expansion isnt about column inches. it never has been. Like any minority sport in foreign territory, news articles are going to be few and far between.
A troll - cute. I live in Europe on and off. Heading back over for a year next month. I'll check back here in a month and ask you for instructions on where to go looking for aussie ruels information, seeing I won't get it in the local print or television media.

A troll - cute. I live in Europe on and off. Heading back over for a year next month. I'll check back here in a month and ask you for instructions on where to go looking for aussie ruels information, seeing I won't get it in the local print or television media.

Yes a troll. I dont care if you live in europe. Its plain you know nothing about the Australian football situation there, or are understating it to suit your own bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back