Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 šŸ

Remove this Banner Ad

Fortunately this latest failure by the overpaid, primadonna masquerading as a captain/batsman means he can devote more time to his advertising career. I personally can't wait for another slow-mo tribute to him and his family and his support crew. What a humble champion he is. :thumbsu:

Was there today. Sachin was exquisite. Agree that Pattinson looks the goods. Thought Siddle gave 120% all day. That said, there's no way we can take 20 wickets on this pitch with this attack. Perth may be our only chance to win a test match this summer.

Hope I'm wrong. Hilfy was a pleasant surprise. Thy - not defending Princess Michael, but who would you have as captain right now?

Hope I'm wrong. Hilfy was a pleasant surprise. Thy - not defending Princess Michael, but who would you have as captain right now?

Would have given it to Katich initially but that ship has sailed now. .. Hussey could handle it but his is getting ready to sail. .. Watto doesn't need the extra responsibility. .. Haddin is looking shakey. .. Tis a shame Bear's form fell away (perfect first slip and captain's nous). .. None of our bowlers could step up. ..

Never much liked Michael but his captaincy cannot be knocked too hard, so far. .. He is willing to try stuff and seems to give his bowlers a go. .. Jury still out on his use of spinners, one of my bigger criticisms of Ponting but so far so good there too. ..

It is frustrating seeing that we haven't got our slips working right though, its improved but we've been dodgy in this department for a long time now, especially after Hayden retired. ..

His captaincy seems pretty good actually, mixes things up a bit. I just despise the way he allows himself to be so aggressively promoted as someone who actually gives a ****.

Jeez I'm a good judge. Well done lads. :p

Always respect a bloke who can fall happily onto his sword. :thumbsu:

His captaincy seems pretty good actually, mixes things up a bit. I just despise the way he allows himself to be so aggressively promoted as someone who actually gives a ****.

Always respect a bloke who can fall happily onto his sword. :thumbsu:
you can tell clarke is being taught tactics by certain people. his feel for the game is coming on.but he must bat well 1st and foremost and give up the hollywood

Patto, Hilf and Siddle bowled beautifully yesterday. Wonderful to see 3 Australian fast bowlers intimidating batsmen with pace as well as solid line and length bowling.

Question marks still remain over our batting lineup. Cowan was unlucky so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Warner failed again which is a concern but they'll persist with him, as they should. When he's on he's unbelievable but at this stage it's too irregular for an opening test batsman.

Marsh shouldn't be in the side IMO. Has looked terrible at the crease. Has showed he can bat at this level in the past so it could be a confidence issue but I just don't think he should be there for the next test. Khawaja wasn't scoring big runs in that position but at least he was scoring and getting starts.

Wonderful partnership here between Clarke and Ponting. We're now 12 runs behind the Indian first inning total, with 7 wickets in hand. They both started well yesterday and it was really important that they see out the morning session - which to this point in time they have. Here's hoping they can both go on and reach triple figures.

We are now in a really commanding position in this test match. No reason why we shouldn't be looking at a first innings lead of 200+, meaning we score around the 400 mark for this innings. Obviously that's a long way away but the pitch is looking good. Now just have to hope the rest of the middle order don't throw their wickets away when their time comes.

Patto, Hilf and Siddle bowled beautifully yesterday. Wonderful to see 3 Australian fast bowlers intimidating batsmen with pace as well as solid line and length bowling.

Yeah I'm happy with our bowlers. .. Siddle is the short spell impact bowler while Patto is in good. .. Hilfy gives us something all the time but especially when the ball gets old. .. There is also Patto Jr (Cummins) to think about. .. We cannot get too carried away though as they'll need to show consistency away from home too. ..

Question marks still remain over our batting lineup. Cowan was unlucky so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Warner failed again which is a concern but they'll persist with him, as they should. When he's on he's unbelievable but at this stage it's too irregular for an opening test batsman.

We cannot have two Warners, flairy but with inconsistancy, which is why he and Hughes would rarely work. .. Cowan seems to be that solid, no frills opener that you need with Warner up the other end. .. Its a bit like the Slater/Taylor days. ..

Marsh shouldn't be in the side IMO. Has looked terrible at the crease. Has showed he can bat at this level in the past so it could be a confidence issue but I just don't think he should be there for the next test. Khawaja wasn't scoring big runs in that position but at least he was scoring and getting starts.

As for Marsh, would be nice to see him get another test to improve but we do have some top order batsman performing fairly well in the domestic comp. .. Also, could we play Watson at No. 3 when he returns?

We are now in a really commanding position in this test match. No reason why we shouldn't be looking at a first innings lead of 200+, meaning we score around the 400 mark for this innings. Obviously that's a long way away but the pitch is looking good. Now just have to hope the rest of the middle order don't throw their wickets away when their time comes.

Don't have much confidence in our other batters doing much. .. However even if we collapsed a bit after lunch I'd have confidence in our lower order hurting India some more. ..

(BTW Jerry, click on the link in my sig and come say hi) :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing v NZ the knives were out a bit for McDermott and Langer but all of a sudden Mcdermott is a god and Langer a dud. Lets not get too carried away. There is still plenty wrong with the mix of this team and the bowlers are all still in limbo a bit

I think somebody answered a few questions today about his batting AND his captaincy. Well played Sir Michael.

Agree entirely. I actually think his decision making as captain is outstanding. Uses bowlers effectively and efficiently. Sets very good fields. I think he is probably a pretty good motivator too, perhaps the most suprising aspect. Has got people on the same page.

Anyone who ever questioned his talent with the bat doesn't know squat about cricket. Agreed he had temperament issues early in his career, but I think be has taken his interest in the game to a whole new level. He is less Hollywood, and more seasoned veteran. Has got himself so fit, that still looked fresh after 600 mins at the crease. He would've gone over 400 easily I think. Powderpuff attack on a belter of a wicket.

The declaration, while suprising was apt. No point declaring at tea. Declaring before tea meant an extra break in play, and thus concentration would need to be dealt with by the Indians. I would have had a slog for 30mins after drinks then send them in 20mins before tea.

Suddenly our bowling stocks are plentiful. Patto, Hilfa (a new man!), siddle, cummins, Harris, starc and a few others. Amazing!

Changes; Harris to come in for Lyon, and maybe watto for marsh. Wish we could push haddin out though.

Changes; Harris to come in for Lyon, and maybe watto for marsh. Wish we could push haddin out though.

Its his keeping that is annoying me at the moment. .. He has had a few lapses recently and that drop today could be costly. ..

Like the other changes too, Watto for Marsh as I mentioned earlier works for me and Harris for Lyon seems a wise choice for Perth. .. Although its not the pace wicket it used to be and I'd like to see the Aussie selectors and captains back in a spinner and persist for a while. ..

Its his keeping that is annoying me at the moment. .. He has had a few lapses recently and that drop today could be costly. ..

Like the other changes too, Watto for Marsh as I mentioned earlier works for me and Harris for Lyon seems a wise choice for Perth. .. Although its not the pace wicket it used to be and I'd like to see the Aussie selectors and captains back in a spinner and persist for a while. ..

The main concern I have with Haddin is actually his batting. Can tonk the ball a mile but makes stupid decisions with his shot selection and continuously throws his wicket away.

When our batting lineup is at least solid, that's not too much of an issue as his wicket can be covered but when we need a little stability down in the lower order he goes missing far too often.

Obviously I'm not saying get rid of his aggressive style completely, because when he is up and going he is a pleasure to watch. However there is a time and place for quick-fire innings like that. Needs to craft an innings and control himself far more regularly than he does.

His keeping is a little shonky of late as well.

Watto is an automatic inclusion when fit and Marsh should make way (I've made my thoughts on him known previously). The issue with that though is that I'm not sure I like Watto in at 3. For mine he's a lower order batsman or an opener. I'd stick with Cowan and Warner as openers for now, and I wouldn't move Punter back to 3. Certainly wouldn't move Clarke from 5, and Huss won't move from 6 until he retires.

So for now, as silly as it sounds, Watto may have to wait for a spot to open up. Wade seems a good option behind Haddin as test keeper so he could get a go reasonably soon when Haddin makes way - in which case a side like the following could work really well:

Warner
Cowan
Wade
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Siddle
Pattinson
Hilfenhaus
Lyon

Probably won't happen because when Haddin makes way, Ponting/Hussey may as well - but I'd love to see it at some stage.

Warner
Cowan
Wade
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Siddle
Pattinson
Hilfenhaus
Lyon

Like that side, although I assumed you meant Cowan not Clarke as second opener. .. Taking the pressure off Watto would be good too but he seemed pretty keen on Opening. ..

Already spoken about the pace attack in these tests. .. Siddle is the workhorse, I think he needs longer or more frequent short spells though. .. Pattinson is in good form and Hilfy gives great service with the new and old ball. .. However Cummins looks like something too and the jury is still out on Lyon (hope they stick with him though)

Like that side, although I assumed you meant Cowan not Clarke as second opener. .. Taking the pressure off Watto would be good too but he seemed pretty keen on Opening. ..

Already spoken about the pace attack in these tests. .. Siddle is the workhorse, I think he needs longer or more frequent short spells though. .. Pattinson is in good form and Hilfy gives great service with the new and old ball. .. However Cummins looks like something too and the jury is still out on Lyon (hope they stick with him though)

Yep - meant Cowan. Guess it's all about Clarkey today ;)

I reckon Watto would relish the opportunity to come in lower down the order. Can play a little more naturally and open up the shoulders from the get-go, a luxury openers aren't afforded.

With regards to the bowlers I doubt we'll see Cummins in the test arena any time soon. 18 and injury prone is not a good sign and there's no need to rush him. Give him ample time to grow into his body and train himself up for a consistent test career. Happy to see him play in the shorter versions of the game in the meantime because he's a super talent. I've said it already in this post but I'll say it again because it is so vital to keep at the forefront of the mind - he's only 18. Has so much time it's ridiculous.

Patto is a gem. Has a huge career ahead of him as he too is still extremely young. Should develop into an outstanding player and have a long and successful test career.

Siddle has worked incredibly hard on his game and is now a very good bowler. Credit to him as he looked on very shaky ground for a while. 100 test wickets reached in this test with many more to come.

Hilf has also come back really well after he looked gone for all money. Swings it beautifully and is very dangerous. Not 100% convinced that he's the answer long term but more than happy for him to be there now.

Watto as a 4th pace bowler will be a huge bonus when he makes it back, regardless of who the other 3 are. Harris too but I reckon he may struggle to have any serious impact now that he's not in the side.

Lyon is a good bowler. Hasn't bowled much because we haven't needed him to but he's certainly capable. Has played a relief role but can strike and be very effective. Not a star but a very solid and viable option. For mine, the best long term spin bowler we've had in the side since Warney.

Intrigued to see what happens with MJ when he returns to fitness. Too inconsistent as first option but as a 3rd or even 4th strike bowler could prove very effective. Not convinced he'll make it back but they do love him.

Fair to say our bowling stocks are high at the minute, with a heap of promise. That's without mentioning Starc (who I reckon could be absolutely anything) and Cutting who are on the fringe. Not sure he'll make it to the test side but watch for Nathan Coulter-Nile. Could push into the Australian teams in the shorter forms of the game before too long.

I always said watto would average 50 coming in at six or seven. Still, would be happy for
Him to be at three. Always think it's hard for new batsmen to be blooded in the top 3 (unless a genuine opener). Khawaja needs
To bat at 5-7 until he works out how to bat for a few sessions.

Re: Lyon. I rate him, and think he is in the long term plans. If he doesn't take 3-4 this innings though, shelve him until next series. These wickets offer little for the spinner, And I think few tests will last 5 days. Also, spin is so simple for the indians. I'd be happy to play 4 quicks all summer against them. The struggle with the extra pace, bounce and movement of our wickets.

If watto comes in, gives us 5 bowlers and hussey. Plenty of options.

Agree with all except Mj.

I love his cavalier best. Honestly think he will struggle
To get another test though. Age, injury and form against him. So is the talent of the current bowlers with ball and bat.

Patto will average over 20 with the bat. Add Watson as the all rounder. Siddle is v handy too. All of a sudden, mitchells batting doesn't assist his cause as
Much.

Yep - meant Cowan. Guess it's all about Clarkey today ;)

I reckon Watto would relish the opportunity to come in lower down the order. Can play a little more naturally and open up the shoulders from the get-go, a luxury openers aren't afforded.

With regards to the bowlers I doubt we'll see Cummins in the test arena any time soon. 18 and injury prone is not a good sign and there's no need to rush him. Give him ample time to grow into his body and train himself up for a consistent test career. Happy to see him play in the shorter versions of the game in the meantime because he's a super talent. I've said it already in this post but I'll say it again because it is so vital to keep at the forefront of the mind - he's only 18. Has so much time it's ridiculous.

Patto is a gem. Has a huge career ahead of him as he too is still extremely young. Should develop into an outstanding player and have a long and successful test career.

Siddle has worked incredibly hard on his game and is now a very good bowler. Credit to him as he looked on very shaky ground for a while. 100 test wickets reached in this test with many more to come.

Hilf has also come back really well after he looked gone for all money. Swings it beautifully and is very dangerous. Not 100% convinced that he's the answer long term but more than happy for him to be there now.

Watto as a 4th pace bowler will be a huge bonus when he makes it back, regardless of who the other 3 are. Harris too but I reckon he may struggle to have any serious impact now that he's not in the side.

Lyon is a good bowler. Hasn't bowled much because we haven't needed him to but he's certainly capable. Has played a relief role but can strike and be very effective. Not a star but a very solid and viable option. For mine, the best long term spin bowler we've had in the side since Warney.

Intrigued to see what happens with MJ when he returns to fitness. Too inconsistent as first option but as a 3rd or even 4th strike bowler could prove very effective. Not convinced he'll make it back but they do love him.

Fair to say our bowling stocks are high at the minute, with a heap of promise. That's without mentioning Starc (who I reckon could be absolutely anything) and Cutting who are on the fringe. Not sure he'll make it to the test side but watch for Nathan Coulter-Nile. Could push into the Australian teams in the shorter forms of the game before too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back