Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be content to for him to be in the squad or out, if only they told him. That's my issue; they appear to be stringing him along, using him as backup before dropping him for someone else with worse stats. Just let him know, stop him wasting his time - which is valuable, should he devote it to the T20 circuit - instead of fighting a losing battle to get selected for the Australian test team.
I think there are a lot of issues with the Australian cricket board, including selectors. It's unfortunately been around for ages but its not really mattered with the dominance of the waugh ponting teams.

Hopefully it's starting to become obvious where one of the key issues is stemming from now.

It certainly is hard getting moved around the order but he is not the only one. Shaun Marsh has batted in every position in the top 6 but that is never mentioned when people are calling for his head.
No, it isn't. It does indeed bother me that he's never been allowed to settle into his natural batting position - 5 - instead being thrown around the batting order to fail/succeed. It sets players up to fail, and deprives them of the conditions to succeed.

Having said that, Marsh is an exceedingly poor example to contrast with Maxwell, as he has been provided every chance to succeed bar this one, where Maxwell has never been provided an opportunity to succeed at all.

Also was my comment lazy about his captain's performance in the big bash final and blaming others.
Your quote was this:
Good of stars captain Glenn Maxwell to point the finger at the openers and also the ball being a big soft. Maxy, not only did you get dropped on a duck you then proceeded to play a stupid shot a few balls later to lose your wicket.

All this talk over summer about how Maxy should be in the test team, I don't think you could trust him in the test team with his shot selection especially in England.
... with the bolded being the lazy bit. You're taking an impression of how Maxwell plays his red ball cricket from how he bats in a T20, which is a mental shortcut, because of an outdated view of his style in long form cricket.

As for his comments in the wake of losing that game - which was a shocker, from a captaincy perspective as well as a gameplay perspective - we spend a significant amount of our time begging for characters within the game, that it's too sanitized. Did you want him to be apologetic and formulaic in his answer? Not his way. He's honest, brutally so, and it's gotten him into trouble in the past, and it's clearly gotten the selectors - and you - offside.

We'll see, I suppose.

I think there are a lot of issues with the Australian cricket board, including selectors. It's unfortunately been around for ages but its not really mattered with the dominance of the waugh ponting teams.

Hopefully it's starting to become obvious where one of the key issues is stemming from now.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/02/27/greg-chappell-great-player-terrible-selector/

Gives a rundown of Greg Chappell's stints as a selector, and how he's never done very well in that position.

Stayed up and watched it. Great decision. Well done maxy.

Finchy is providing a bit of a conundrum at the moment. Assume they'll give him the odi series to find some form.
Although they rather shouldn't.

I'd switch Khwaja for Finch, if no-one from domestic who's younger has stood up. Khwaja is at the very least a good ODI player, and has a decent record as an opener. And as an opener, it's unlikely that the first bowler he faces is a spinner, even in India.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was magical batting after Finch and Marsh got out.

Why do we have Marsh in the side anyway?

Turner, Handscomb and Carey well done. Bloody well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back