Australian Football Federation

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 10, 2004
Other Teams
Chelsea FOOTBALL club
From now on 'soccer' is dead long live FOOTBALL (thats proper football AS THE REST OF THE WORLD CALLS IT not egg chassing or aerial ping pong).

AUSTRALIA FOR THE WORLD CUP GERMANY 2006

WORLD FOOTBALL said:
From now on 'soccer' is dead long live FOOTBALL (thats proper football AS THE REST OF THE WORLD CALLS IT not egg chassing or aerial ping pong).

Apart from Ireland, USA, Canada, NZ where the name Soccer is still necessary to distinguish the form of football. The foot ball is not as pure as you suggest if you mean lack of hand contact. There are almost as many headers in a game of soccer as there are handpasses in a game of Australian rules football. Anyway each to his own.

WORLD FOOTBALL said:

Apart from Ireland, USA, Canada, NZ where the name Soccer is still necessary to distinguish the form of football. The foot ball is not as pure as you suggest if you mean lack of hand contact. There are almost as many headers in a game of soccer as there are handpasses in a game of Australian rules football, and there is still a question over whether headers can cause brain problems after hundreds of them.

Anyway each to his own.

the funniest thing is, living in the UK, eveytime I mention soccer I get a strange look and abuse as I am told there is no such thing, but I always get my own back by producing a newspaper or a tv guide with the words soccer highlights or or soccer round up, to be greeted with silence
anyway the name has nothing to do with the spectacle of the sport or any perceived credibility .
and another thing soccer came about and was codefied in 1862 by introducing laws such as no handling of the ball and no kicking of legs which was allowed previously, hence Rugby
hope I'm clear on that point
and one more point the rules of Australian football were formulated some four years earlier. making it the first formal football code in this wonderful world of sport

WORLD FOOTBALL said:

Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder.

Peter P said:
WORLD FOOTBALL said:

Apart from Ireland, USA, Canada, NZ where the name Soccer is still necessary to distinguish the form of football. The foot ball is not as pure as you suggest if you mean lack of hand contact. There are almost as many headers in a game of soccer as there are handpasses in a game of Australian rules football. Anyway each to his own.
and Germany... they call Gridiron 'football' like the USA, and they call Soccer 'Fuseball' (pronounced like that, not spelt the same)

brentonb said:
the funniest thing is, living in the UK, eveytime I mention soccer I get a strange look and abuse as I am told there is no such thing, but I always get my own back by producing a newspaper or a tv guide with the words soccer highlights or or soccer round up, to be greeted with silence
anyway the name has nothing to do with the spectacle of the sport or any perceived credibility .
and another thing soccer came about and was codefied in 1862 by introducing laws such as no handling of the ball and no kicking of legs which was allowed previously, hence Rugby
hope I'm clear on that point
and one more point the rules of Australian football were formulated some four years earlier. making it the first formal football code in this wonderful world of sport

I knew that- amazing but true.
Aussie rules is football cause it's been going longer. :)

MattMorris said:
and Germany... they call Gridiron 'football' like the USA, and they call Soccer 'Fuseball' (pronounced like that, not spelt the same)

Hey matt, do you know why its call fussball in Germany? Because "Fuss" is foot in German and "ball" gives it self away....

WORLD FOOTBALL said:

Go away. I'm sure there are manic depressives somewhere who will enjoy your company.

WORLD FOOTBALL said:

not according to this... http://www.a-league.com.au ....look at the heading in the title bar in browser, it says 'Australian Soccer Association, also, they should get the Southern Cross right on the orange peel, they have it with 5x five pointed stars as opposed to the correct 4x seven pointed star and a small five pointed star

MattMorris said:
not according to this... http://www.a-league.com.au ....look at the heading in the title bar in browser, it says 'Australian Soccer Association, also, they should get the Southern Cross right on the orange peel, they have it with 5x five pointed stars as opposed to the correct 4x seven pointed star and a small five pointed star

I for one never eat mcdonalds even though the rest of the world loves it.......... very bland, tasteless and boring, homegrown is better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, WF, this one's for you.

McDonalds is the same boring crap food everywhere. It infests pretty every country to some degree. No variety. Just like soccer.

We however have our own food here in Australia. Much better. Some other countries have their own different tastes too.

If you want to paint your own world beige, then go nuts. Just stay the hell out of our country.

Not to mention that two of the teams still have SC for Soccer Club after their name.

But at any rate. You see, there are some people that can hack the existence of both sports. Can hack the fact that their sport, good sport as it is, is not the code of choice in the nation in which they live. You, Mr. WORLD FOOTBALL, are not such a person. I barrack for Chelsea too and I tell you what mate, if I saw you in the street I would hand you a Man United scarf because I don't want a disgrace like you associated with a team I support.

i do not know if i am only the only one who sees the irony in who has the copyright of this board...

Copyright 2004 BigSoccer, Inc. All rights reserved.
BigFooty and Share the Passion! are service marks of BigSoccer, Inc.