FTA-TV Awake

Remove this Banner Ad

This is some bullshit. **** that ending. **** this show.

I really liked everything up until that point, especially all the psychosis stuff in the finale. But god damn they ****ed that.

Kyle Killen (the creator) interview with Sepinwall http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/awake-series-finale-interview-with-creator-kyle-killen

So when he's in the final scene with Dr. Evans and she is explaining exactly that, he goes back into the same shell he's been going into ever since this happened: he keeps talking himself into it, "There must be some way, some other explanation." His explanation is, "Nothing that happened in the red world after I was sitting in my cell was real. That was a dream. If that world was real, there's no reason I couldn't have a dream." And that's exactly what happens. So he imagines that when he wakes up in the red world, he would still be in prison, and that's what we would have played had we gone forward. Whether that's because he's really in prison, or because he's so desperate to hold onto the idea that there is a red world where his wife exists that that's where his dream continues — obviously, the last scene itself represents this idea that he believes there can be literal dreams, places between the two worlds. So if he was going to dream a third space, this is exactly what it would look like: a place where he had both his wife and his son, and that's where we ended up.

Would of been good to at least get another season for them to build further on it.

I thought the ending was okay. Considering the show was cancelled during its first season, I wasn't expecting anything special. Was pleasantly surprised that it gave a kind of closure to the story, as some shows haven't even got that.

Ended a little disappointingly for me.

Hard to see how else it would've finished though, because having Britton in a mental ward as the camera pans out would've left me empty.

Disagree with the notion that the procedural elements were bland... thought some of the stand alone eps were memorable - the one with the drugged out girl who was Britton's babysitter comes to mind.

It was more the red world / green world differences and the big conspiracy elements that didn't work for me all the time. Some of it was plain confusing, some of it poorly executed.

Unfortunate we didn't get a couple of seasons out of this show. The concept was pretty high and it was enjoyable enough, too bad the writers didn't get a chance to flesh out the breaking of the psyche and the conspiracy stuff better.

Agree it was dispointing but think people are missing the point that show was more than likely cancelled after they'd shot the 'season finale'. They said earlier in the season that the ending we saw actually wouldn't occur so can't blame them doing a rushed edit to give the show closure.

Also, the very final frame of the finale gives a very 'inception' type finish that is open for interpretation and possibility of continuity should the show be picked up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back