Bad Beat/Vent/Brag thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Big week this week

Will play a couple of cheap games outside of my usual games for a bit of practice/play against unfamiliar faces, then play the Vic tournament on the weekend

Will probably have at least a week or two off after the weekend

Good luck! I love the bigger tournaments with the slower structures. You can really use your skills to pick the right spots and work out your opponents since you get to play more hands on the same table.

3rd hand in I am in BB - Middle Position raises to 15 - I play with this guy a little bit and this is his standard MP raise - I had A6s - (shush) and decide to see a flop. 2 spades hit so I figure to come along if he doesnt get too out of line. Bets 15k again and I call. I thought about shoving but too early in the day for me. Rather walk away from a pot at this time of day ( and maybe this is something I need to address - and I will further on) rather than chase a possible flush draw with all my chips in the middle

Turn is a nada and he bets 15k again and I call. River was not a spade and he bets 15k again and I get out of it. Should I have bet harder? Possibly but again too early . This ate into my chips a bit but the payoff was to get me above 200k in chips
Assuming you still had ~180k to start that hand, that's a really awkward size to shove on the flop when the pot would only be around 50k. I don't think c/c all the way is too bad because he's betting so small, but it will be tough to get paid off if you hit.

Do you remember what the flop was, and did you have any other outs (backdoor straight etc, also your A may be an out). Depending on your opponent and what your image is, I'd like a c/r to 45-50 and see what he does. It's usually a weak made hand when someone bets the same amount as the previous street and you'll often get him to fold the flop to your raise. He has to be concerned that you have a set, two-pair etc. If he calls you would have a pot-sized bet to shove the turn and it will be tough for him to call if he only has one-pair, plus you've got outs if he does decide to call. At that stage the chip leaders were only 500k so he doesn't want to give up 1/3 of that to you when he can find better spots to push the table around.

It's obviously a higher variance play than the line you took and I don't know if I'd have the balls to do it in the moment. It really depends on how strong your c/r would look to him. At my weekly game if I did it I would get zero credit for a big hand, but against strangers they're more likely to let it go than try and guess whether you're drawing or have them crushed.

Assuming you still had ~180k to start that hand, that's a really awkward size to shove on the flop when the pot would only be around 50k. I don't think c/c all the way is too bad because he's betting so small, but it will be tough to get paid off if you hit.

Do you remember what the flop was, and did you have any other outs (backdoor straight etc, also your A may be an out). Depending on your opponent and what your image is, I'd like a c/r to 45-50 and see what he does. It's usually a weak made hand when someone bets the same amount as the previous street and you'll often get him to fold the flop to your raise. He has to be concerned that you have a set, two-pair etc. If he calls you would have a pot-sized bet to shove the turn and it will be tough for him to call if he only has one-pair, plus you've got outs if he does decide to call. At that stage the chip leaders were only 500k so he doesn't want to give up 1/3 of that to you when he can find better spots to push the table around.

It's obviously a higher variance play than the line you took and I don't know if I'd have the balls to do it in the moment. It really depends on how strong your c/r would look to him. At my weekly game if I did it I would get zero credit for a big hand, but against strangers they're more likely to let it go than try and guess whether you're drawing or have them crushed.
From memory I think it was 24s 9red. I didnt think either of us hit. My thinking regards my A was my kicker was weak. Turn was a J? That concerned me but his bet size was within my keep going range. The river was not a spade so I didnt recall it - could have been a 7.

My image to my opponent ( as I play regularly against him) is tight but straight/flush chaser. My image of his range was Picture/Picture to Picture/8+ to small pockets. His betting felt more like bets to keep me in the pot rather than any concern over his hand. So small pockets that hit a set was possible

This is the one hand I am hung up on as it could have been played in many ways and I'm not entirely sure I played it right for the opponent

Good luck! I love the bigger tournaments with the slower structures. You can really use your skills to pick the right spots and work out your opponents since you get to play more hands on the same table.
So I play a $10 game up the road from me

Played tight for most of the first hour trying to figure out my table dynamic, but I wasn't getting many hands anyway, just suited garbage mainly

Pick up tens UTG nearly halfway through first hour 200/400bbs, raise to 2.2k, 1 caller in the hijack, then the old bloke in the SB jams, he has a little less than me, would leave me with nearly 3k if I call. I cut out the call and think about it then muck them, other guy called with bugger all, old bloke had aces and they held, so good read there at least to get away from the tens.

Go fairly card dead, picked up one or two small pots from top/middle pairs etc, but got whittled down to 8k. Last hand before break, sitting UTG, decided to straddle 2k (500/1k bbs), get 3 callers, flop comes 845, 2 diamonds, I then check my cards, I have A5 offsuit, checks around to the turn, another 5, I jam, get called by a diamond draw, I hold on and have made a small profit even though I was getting bugger all.

Picked up a nice pot with a suited ace top pair against middle pair after the break to get to about 70k, then got moved table. Here's where the fun started.

Limped in with a few midrange Broadway carit like JT/QT etc, didn't hit, get K9 clubs in the BB 3/6k. limp in. Flop comes QJ7, I've got a gutter, checks around, turn comes a king and 3 hearts on the board, big stack bets min bet, gets a call, I think about it, feel someone has 9T or something funky but call, river comes a blank, I check other guy checks, big stack value bets. I really should've given this up it smelt like a completed draw but didn't get away from it, had other guy covered who had a jack, but yeah big stack hit a straight on the turn with AT, probably my one bad call of the night.

So I'm crippled now with 20k, next hand I get A5 suited in the SB, second big stack raised to 20, I call-jam, BB folds and UTG calls, I hit my ace on the flop, big stack bets UTG out, he flips over queens, and I hold and get back up to 66k.

Next playable hand I get is AK os UTG and it's up to 4/8K bbs. I notice the BB is down to her last 12k. I bet 32k to get everyone out of it to isolate her heads up and pick up 16k plus her terminator chip. She reluctantly calls with 97os. Blanks on the flop, she turns a 9 and it holds for her. Down to 54k and like normal, AK is back to stinking it up after a brief period around Xmas where it ran ok for me.

I fold around to my next BB, get A6 os, limps around and I check it. I hit my ace on a AJ9 board and bet 15k and everyone out of it aside from AT straight guy, he calls. Turns a 7, I check, he bets same amount as I did on the flop, I think about it and put him on some sort of draw like QT or maybe a pair or two pair like J9/97/J7, I call. Rivers another 9, he shoves on me, I throw it away knowing he has the 9, which he shows Q9 so I was kind of in the ballpark there, this guy is just cleaning up on me, though he sucked out that time (I knew I was at least live if not ahead here on the turn, I maybe should've jammed the flop though but I could've been behind a stronger ace, so felt 2.5x BB was a good enough bet to get them out of the hand)

Throw away my SB, then get 6s on the button with 12k left and shove, SB shoves too he's short now. UTG queens second big stack calls

I'm ahead against A4 and T7 suited

Flop comes Q83 rainbow, I make my set of 6s on the turn to cripple the A4 short stack, then of course T7 rivers his 4 out gutter...funny thing was that set of 6s was my best hand of the night too, better than trip 5s I had earlier.

Absolute garbage run the last 3 hands I played where I was ahead every single time yet didn't hold on. Made the points for the night, but really, could've had well over 150k or so if those hands held and probably a final table as people were dropping like flies. Had a similar run in November to tonight with how I was getting done.

Will probably play another cheap game tomorrow also though then rest up til Saturday, see if I run any better lol. I'm due

Last edited:
Tonights game

Run well at start, then towards end of first hour I get steamrolled in quick succession, pretty well coolered, couldn't get away from hands, one was I had AT, short stack jams on a T82 board, I figure I'm in the ball park, I call as it's cheap enough she could be doing it with any 10, maybe T8 etc and won't really cripple me, she has a set of deuces, I turn another ten but don't river another/ace. Next few hands I hit pairs on the flop, but they were no good. Down to 35% of what I started with before my chip up.

Played very smart the middle hour when I was getting short, shoved when I had to (jacks again + AK held tonight unlike last night, lucky it was against KQ though), got some double ups and was able to put pressure on the two other short stacks sitting on my left when I was on the button who didn't want to take me on, so picked up their blinds twice, was kinda confusing why they didn't want to take me on, particularly the BB who was happy to fold 2bb stacks, but luckily for him he tripled through me and a big stack the next hand (I had AJ suited but limped in due to no bets before me and missed, lucky BB big stack had nothing so checked it right through)

Get to the final table with the third shortest stack, but get a much appreciated late position start this time around

Didn't pick up anything until my BB, get queens and I jam, already 2 jams before me but I know I'm ahead because these guys shoving ranges are wide.

Big stack has KT os, middle stack 7s vs my Qs

Flop runs 223 all black cards, then like bloody normal KT sucks out on the turn then on the river 7s suck out and takes it all with a rivered boat.

5 bloody outs between them combined and that's before any of their outs were folded by the other 12 cards that hit the muck and they both hit

Laughable how bad I run when I'm well in front preflop. If say KT had AK it wouldn't have bothered me that much if he hit his K as he's obviously got more outs, but 5 outs combined between the 2 and they both hit, lol. I don't seem to have the luck others are blessed with, gotta go with just my reads which is normally a strength of mine.

Tonights game

Run well at start, then towards end of first hour I get steamrolled in quick succession, pretty well coolered, couldn't get away from hands, one was I had AT, short stack jams on a T82 board, I figure I'm in the ball park, I call as it's cheap enough she could be doing it with any 10, maybe T8 etc and won't really cripple me, she has a set of deuces, I turn another ten but don't river another/ace. Next few hands I hit pairs on the flop, but they were no good. Down to 35% of what I started with before my chip up.

Played very smart the middle hour when I was getting short, shoved when I had to (jacks again + AK held tonight unlike last night, lucky it was against KQ though), got some double ups and was able to put pressure on the two other short stacks sitting on my left when I was on the button who didn't want to take me on, so picked up their blinds twice, was kinda confusing why they didn't want to take me on, particularly the BB who was happy to fold 2bb stacks, but luckily for him he tripled through me and a big stack the next hand (I had AJ suited but limped in due to no bets before me and missed, lucky BB big stack had nothing so checked it right through)

Get to the final table with the third shortest stack, but get a much appreciated late position start this time around

Didn't pick up anything until my BB, get queens and I jam, already 2 jams before me but I know I'm ahead because these guys shoving ranges are wide.

Flop runs 223 all black cards, then like bloody normal KT sucks out on the turn then on the river 7s suck out and takes it all with a rivered boat.

5 bloody outs between them combined and that's before any of their outs were folded by the other 12 cards that hit the muck and they both hit

Laughable how bad I run when I'm well in front preflop. If say KT had AK it wouldn't have bothered me that much if he hit his K as he's obviously got more outs, but 5 outs combined between the 2 and they both hit, lol. I don't seem to have the luck others are blessed with, gotta go with just my reads which is normally a strength of mine.
It seems your game and thinking is sound.

MrKK said:
I love the bigger tournaments with the slower structures. You can really use your skills to pick the right spots and work out your opponents since you get to play more hands on the same table.

I think this is what you need to worry about mostly. Luck - ehh , if you win 50% of your flips you are doing ok.

Use your pub poker games to continue reading people and get solid on that then take it to long tournaments.

Good luck in the Vic

Tonights game

Ugh, that FT hand is brutal. Just gotta keep believing that you'll win that one way more often than you'll lose it.

I remember one FT hand that was 3-way all-in. My AJ vs KJ and A5, so I've got them both dominated. Flop 5K5, lol.

Interesting day

Started slow, made small profits and chipped away at it the first 2 sessions, got up to like 140k from my 100k total (50 start stack + 50 add on) then it all went to s**t just before the dinner break where I couldn't hit a flop to save my life, had tens and queens busted by hands like AK etc. AQ stunk it up really bad too, could not connect with the board.

I generally fared well at showdown when I got there, but I never really got myself a huge payday by coolering someone and getting them to commit to paying me off that others were able to do (probably a 50k pot about the best I could manage for the day with a flopped set of queens against jacks, think he put me on AK and he didn't believe me until I value raised him on the river)

I could've found a bag for tomorrow, but I would've been pretty short with only around 10bbs or so plus another 1 hour drive to the venue, so I went the hack the last level to try and double up, preferably more so I'd hopefully last until lunch at least, it didn't work and busted out with 5 minutes to go, eh, not fussed.

Couldn't find the number of players who found a bag, would've gave me an estimate of where I finished, but anyways.

Took a break from mid October until the start of February to focus on other things. Have played 3 sessions this month and am so far 3/3 in terms of coming out profitable. Taking a break and coming back fresh means I've found plenty of different areas to focus on with my game, most of which boil down to being patient, picking my spots and playing hands more profitably. Hoping to rack up plenty more hands over the next few months and try knock out the leaks in my game.

Took a break from mid October until the start of February to focus on other things. Have played 3 sessions this month and am so far 3/3 in terms of coming out profitable. Taking a break and coming back fresh means I've found plenty of different areas to focus on with my game, most of which boil down to being patient, picking my spots and playing hands more profitably. Hoping to rack up plenty more hands over the next few months and try knock out the leaks in my game.
Good stuff mate

Where did you think you were going wrong previously?

I only play APL tournaments atm, but my problem atm is the inability to consistently chip up + I'm the best guy in the western suburbs to hit a 2-3-4 outer on (I play short/middling very well but hate being in that position often), but I think not having luck on my side has played a big factor in that moreso, be it going card dry preflop or not connecting with the board enough when I do have a decent starting hand, then compare it to others who either run like gods or seem to get a hand at the right time (I don't see bluffs too often tbh, maybe only early on)

Probably the last 2 times I played that I consistently chipped up were both in December, first time around I doubled my total night playing stack in an hour and a half of play (had around 120k), then went on a massive cooler across 4 hands and busted out (memorable hands like a flopped set busted by a runner runner straight and AK getting beat by an AJ shove). The other night that month was the type of night you want, I consistently chipped up first hour and a bit, built a bit of a stack, then eliminated a couple of short stacks and got up to around 160k or so, then got another big double up from a coin flip when the field was starting to narrow down (10s held against KQ) and I held pretty tight once the blinds got up and only played in certain spots before I tripled up on the FT bubble, went card dry at the final table and came like 6th or 7th, but getting there the way I did was most pleasing.

I've made a couple of final tables since that night, but I've always been one of the short stacks with only a jam left in me and hasn't worked out.

Would like to play at Crown again later in the year though, even play some of their freezeout weekly tournaments, see how they compare to these APL ones.

Where did you think you were going wrong previously?

There's a few gaps I'm working on:
*If I stack off it's usually in the first 30 minutes of play because I've played a hand or two like an absolute donkey. Call it nerves or not having a read of the table whatever but addressing that and making it past minute 30 with my chip stack in place (or bigger) means I'm much more likely to have a winning session.
*If I spot a fish at the table I tend to get impatient in trying to hunt them down which leads to playing more marginal hands, chasing more than I should etc in the hope that I'll get the handed needed to stack them before someone beats me to it or they rack up and leave. Being patient and appreciating that you may not always have a chance to stack them is important.
*My tournament play sucks mainly because I play so few tournaments. It's a different ball game, like test match cricket and an ODI where it's essentially the same set of core skills but an entirely different approach to the game. I need to get much better in tournaments and this is probably the biggest area of improvement needed.
*I need to better be able to switch gears at the table. If it's a nit table then playing more open is advantage play, likewise if it's a loose table then sit back and pick your spots a bit more.
*After the three month break I'm finding my speed of calculating odds of making or improving my hand are rusty and need to become more ingrained.
*My ability to read the play of people is good but it can always be better.

I've made a couple of final tables since that night, but I've always been one of the short stacks with only a jam left in me and hasn't worked out.

There's definitely something in that statement to work on, namely figuring out why you end up in that position. It could be because you're playing conservative when it's down to two tables and would rather final table and cash a minimum amount than take the risk of being more aggressive and entering the table with a healthier stack? Alternately is it you're too aggressive or loose trying to get to the final table and you're trying to eliminate or bully other players in hands you should otherwise be playing more conservatively?

Last edited:
There's a few gaps I'm working on:
*If I stack off it's usually in the first 30 minutes of play because I've played a hand or two like an absolute donkey. Call it nerves or not having a read of the table whatever but addressing that and making it past minute 30 with my chip stack in place (or bigger) means I'm much more likely to have a winning session.
Interesting

If I've made 1 or 2 bad plays early on or I get monstered by a bigger hand or something I'll hold on, not de gameplan and try and recover while the blinds are low still, half the time it works. At least the games I play have the first hour/break add on card to use if we bust early, but I generally try and get to the first break and make a profit, if not I might make an unconventional loose play at the end of the first session that I consider to be somewhat of a free hit, it has worked a few times.

A few weeks ago I jammed with deuces late in first session after I lost around half my stack running very board dry (had hands but didn't connect, also got aces but had no callers so only picked up blinds there), got two callers (another shorter than me) and they held against the big stacks overcards, lel, so I made a couple grand from that

On Monday I straddled UTG last hand before the break, had 3 callers, I didn't look at my cards til the flop had A5 and hit my 5, checks around, I hit another 5 and got it in, got a caller who had a flush draw but my trip 5s held, good chip up after a very card dry session.

*If I spot a fish at the table I tend to get impatient in trying to hunt them down which leads to playing more marginal hands, chasing more than I should etc in the hope that I'll get the handed needed to stack them before someone beats me to it or they rack up and leave. Being patient and appreciating that you may not always have a chance to stack them is important.
Understandable

I generally like to take aggressive players head on when I'm strong and play big pot poker, I know it's what they want to do but the payday will be there.

Big pot poker isn't my style, but as you say yourself, you need to adapt and change gears.
*My tournament play sucks mainly because I play so few tournaments. It's a different ball game, like test match cricket and an ODI where it's essentially the same set of core skills but an entirely different approach to the game. I need to get much better in tournaments and this is probably the biggest area of improvement needed.
*I need to better be able to switch gears at the table. If it's a nit table then playing more open is advantage play, likewise if it's a loose table then sit back and pick your spots a bit more.
*After the three month break I'm finding my speed of calculating odds of making or improving my hand are rusty and need to become more ingrained.
*My ability to read the play of people is good but it can always be better.
Do you have a game better suited for cash games? Or is patience an issue?

Cash games and longer format tournaments I generally prefer, I've had to adapt for these turbos, but I generally consider my night wasted if I don't play for around 2 hours also. I'm a if I don't win I'd like to get value for money and see/win a few hands etc type of player.

There's definitely something in that statement to work on, namely figuring out why you end up in that position.
Agree, it has frustrated me, but I'm trying to work on why and change a few things up. I identified I had a habit of chasing draws a lot when blinds are low. I've pretty much stopped chasing hands like gut shots (will only chase if i get a free card or it's very cheap to call/if I have a pair to go with it too etc for at least some showdown value). Open enders/double gutters/nut flush draws etc I'll chase in the right situation/price, sometimes I'll lead out with a big draw too.

A couple of times I've been married to a big hand and haven't been able to read the situation and let it go. Yesterday I was able to make some massive but also correct laydowns. Two I remember I had 8s cracked by 7s on a 732 board and queens cracked by a king after a king hit the flop. They both overplayed their hands and could've got more value out of me if they slow played it instead of putting out big flop bets.
It could be because you're playing conservative when it's down to two tables and would rather final table and cash a minimum amount than take the risk of being more aggressive and entering the table with a healthier stack?
The last time I cashed I took risks with marginal hands in this period of the night and got it all in preflop when I was well behind, but the reward was a bigger stack, I caught rivers to suck out and get to the FT in solid shape, I eliminated two others at the FT (3 for the night), but lost a crucial coin flip when I was like the second biggest stack (my straight vs his rivered flush), then the same guy busted me with KQ against my ATd (he got quad queens and I still hit an ace plus had a diamond draw come the river), so I came 4th.

Alternately is it you're too aggressive or loose trying to get to the final table and you're trying to eliminate or bully other players in hands you should otherwise be playing more conservatively?
Nah, I do put pressure on short stacks at the right time when I know I'm good to flip though

Monday I had 1 opportunity to eliminate a short stack, Tuesday I had 2 (same bloke who folded right down til his last blind), though 1 of them I was up against a big stack in the BB too, so I flatted there to see a flop with AJ. Monday I had AK vs 97, she hit her 9, Tuesday I button raised with A6 suited to put him all in, he only had 2bbs left and still gave it up, the very next hand I had AJ suited and limped in and it didn't hit but luckily I just checked it down, short stack was good there with his 1bb pair.

There's been times where I've just been plain unlucky though and got sucked out on

Had kings busted by K9 one night in November (trip 9s), played it as I would for an overpair, 5/10kbbs, had 140k, raised to 40k in the SB, aggressive player with a bigger stack wants to see a flop on the button and the 2 other limpers and BB fold, I continuation bet 30k, he calls, one 9 out there, I wonder what he has as an ace was out there too but it didn't scare me as he usually raises with any ace. We check both the turn and river where another 9 comes out, I show my kings thinking they're good and that he has missed a draw like JT or something but he flips over his K9. I busted out a few hands later next blind level, that one hand would've got me to 250k and a FT if it held, finished 12th I think. Though on the flipside, one of the last times I limped to a FT short I had decent hands in either early position or in the SB, but because they could've been bettered I limped in not to fully commit should a raise come, so I lost like 25k for the night giving them up a few times, I really did not play them well and should've just jammed or folded, but the raiser always showed what they had at least which was always a big pair, so folding would've saved me the most. Yesterday I made sure not to get sucked into this trap, so apart from when I had a big pair/big 3bet kind of hand, the goal was to see a flop at the right price as I have more confidence in my postflop play than I do preflop. I'm a big fan of the Phil Hellmuth philosophy of getting it in with the best hand, it's probably why I hate bad beats, but eh, scroll up a few posts and you'll see what I had Monday and Tuesday to be eliminated with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely find I'm better suited to cash games as it's thousands of hours playing cash games versus hundreds of hours playing tournaments. I find I tend to be more patient in tournaments as it's more structured but I haven't played them much due to the variance of how often you cash. Would much rather build a steady bankroll playing cash games than cash x% of tournaments, though obviously I can appreciate tournaments have more upside overall.

Definitely agree with the philosophy of getting it in with the best hand, I try and mix it up with strong hands by continuation betting, betting the pot or check-raising strong hands to keep it less predictable, but ultimately the aim is to extract as much money as possible from them before they realise they're beaten.

Likewise there will be several hands a night I'll analyse in my head during quieter time at the table to see if I could have played it better as a matter of general course. Even something as simple as 'did I leave them too much of a chance to chase' or 'should I have jammed rather than check raised all in' can make a difference to my overall approach and tactics.

Overall on a positive I'm finding trusting my gut regarding the strength of an opponents hand has only got better and I'm right about 80% of the time when my spidey senses start tingling regarding a hand. Also working on picking up more tells as well by following the play a lot more instead of watching sport on my phone.

Some very solid points. I want to comment on some things I am working on or find I am doing

I generally like to take aggressive players head on when I'm strong and play big pot poker, I know it's what they want to do but the payday will be there.

Big pot poker isn't my style, but as you say yourself, you need to adapt and change gears.
This has been one area of my game I am getting much better at. When I first started I was called Fish - no not that ok maybe - but because I was tighter than a fishes a-hole and folded good hands to aggressive bets. I still tend to play cautious but now its about viewing their hands ( if shown) or assessing bluff v reality.

So much so 1 player I had tagged earlier last year as a very good player folded to my continuation bet (because I didnt believe him ) . I then looked at him with new eyes. I have asked TD to put me on a table with Big Stack at Day 2 SA Open because he still causes night sweats ( ironically I busted him 2 months ago to win a Friday night) I want to challenge myself against him.

Cash games and longer format tournaments I generally prefer, I've had to adapt for these turbos, but I generally consider my night wasted if I don't play for around 2 hours also. I'm a if I don't win I'd like to get value for money and see/win a few hands etc type of player.
I have the patience of Job when needed. Unfortunately I sometimes misread a hand and get beat. SA Open was perfect for me - knowing there was a Day 2 - and a soft table - let me play 1 or 4 looser hands but tighten up when required

Best ever patience game was having 1100 in chips before the 1st hour and making FT and finishing 4th. Sure luck plays a part but I didnt waste my chips on hopeful hands

I identified I had a habit of chasing draws a lot when blinds are low. I've pretty much stopped chasing hands like gut shots (will only chase if i get a free card or it's very cheap to call/if I have a pair to go with it too etc for at least some showdown value). Open enders/double gutters/nut flush draws etc I'll chase in the right situation/price, sometimes I'll lead out with a big draw too.
I am also slowing this down a lot. I now play a 60% fold game. ie if I still need 2 cards to make my hand - fold. (unless they are free looks)

A couple of times I've been married to a big hand and haven't been able to read the situation and let it go. Yesterday I was able to make some massive but also correct laydowns. Two I remember I had 8s cracked by 7s on a 732 board and queens cracked by a king after a king hit the flop. They both overplayed their hands and could've got more value out of me if they slow played it instead of putting out big flop bets.
I folded KK after raising once an A hit the flop and 2 people bet.

Then again I chased a straight flush to the river - missed - and still paid out - just in case. Cost me a lot of chips

The last time I cashed I took risks with marginal hands in this period of the night and got it all in preflop when I was well behind, but the reward was a bigger stack, I caught rivers to suck out and get to the FT in solid shape, I eliminated two others at the FT (3 for the night), but lost a crucial coin flip when I was like the second biggest stack (my straight vs his rivered flush), then the same guy busted me with KQ against my ATd (he got quad queens and I still hit an ace plus had a diamond draw come the river), so I came 4th.
I am debating this and the answer I have reluctantly come to is that risk/gamble plays are the only way to win - especially these turbo tourneys. 16k in chips and any 2 cards. Pocket 9s - UTG goes all in and I (button) call. UTG turns over AJ - Flop starts J10 groan then 9. And I held on

After chasing the straight draw I was down to 90k and hit a K9 off - lucky it called to the flop where a K hit - I shoved only to see my opponent with AK - last card was a club and I got up until the TD said I rivered the flush and doubled my stack - never looked back

Nah, I do put pressure on short stacks at the right time when I know I'm good to flip though

Monday I had 1 opportunity to eliminate a short stack, Tuesday I had 2 (same bloke who folded right down til his last blind), though 1 of them I was up against a big stack in the BB too, so I flatted there to see a flop with AJ. Monday I had AK vs 97, she hit her 9, Tuesday I button raised with A6 suited to put him all in, he only had 2bbs left and still gave it up, the very next hand I had AJ suited and limped in and it didn't hit but luckily I just checked it down, short stack was good there with his 1bb pair.
I also look at stacks a lot more and make plays when I can afford it - until I doubled up the same player in consecutive hands :D

Definitely find I'm better suited to cash games as it's thousands of hours playing cash games versus hundreds of hours playing tournaments. I find I tend to be more patient in tournaments as it's more structured but I haven't played them much due to the variance of how often you cash. Would much rather build a steady bankroll playing cash games than cash x% of tournaments, though obviously I can appreciate tournaments have more upside overall.
If I had more cash I'd absolutely spend a few hours at the casino racking up a stack.

A few times years ago I'd head in on a Saturday night before I went out niteclubbing, was a decent time to play late arvo/early evening on Saturdays. Minimum buy in, fold a few hands aside from when i was strong and check out the table dynamic, weed out the fish on the table then pick a spot and double up then work my way into the table. I normally ran up $200-500 from just $50-60 buy ins, fair to say it bought a few beers afterwards.

Alas, as a reskilling student, pub tourneys are great to get out of the house when I'm not couped up writing 3-4k long assignments, I gave up drinking last year too, so can play an extra game or so a month now, compared to only about 2 maybe 3 when I was still drinking.

Definitely agree with the philosophy of getting it in with the best hand
Yep it's the only way normally and if you're not you hope you're flipping

I try and mix it up with strong hands by continuation betting, betting the pot or check-raising strong hands to keep it less predictable, but ultimately the aim is to extract as much money as possible from them before they realise they're beaten.

Likewise there will be several hands a night I'll analyse in my head during quieter time at the table to see if I could have played it better as a matter of general course. Even something as simple as 'did I leave them too much of a chance to chase' or 'should I have jammed rather than check raised all in' can make a difference to my overall approach and tactics.
I love the old check raise

Did it once tonight

I get 34os in the small blind 3-6k bbs (had 84k I think), haven't played a hand in nearly ten minutes since I won a coin flip shove to double up (had 9s hold against AK), I feel this hand will hit and will be extremely live against weakish medium type of hands that people like to limp in with (KJ, KT, Q9 etc)

Get 4-5 people along for the ride

Flop comes J74, I check, the usual table aggressor in the CO bets 6k into it, so I put him on one of the J or 7, probably J, I call, I've got backdoors along with my probably live 5 immediate outs, everyone else folds. I hit my trip 4s on the turn and check, he bets another 6k, I check raise to 17k. He then tanks for nearly a minute and I can tell my raise has absolutely antagonised him, I can tell he wants to call but he probably can't, he eventually gives it up and I'm running up to about 130k after that which was crucial as I had the stack to call short stack shoves now.
Overall on a positive I'm finding trusting my gut regarding the strength of an opponents hand has only got better and I'm right about 80% of the time when my spidey senses start tingling regarding a hand. Also working on picking up more tells as well by following the play a lot more instead of watching sport on my phone.
Lel, always gotta concentrate at the table

I'm always up for a chat or banter at the table, that's just me though
Some very solid points. I want to comment on some things I am working on or find I am doing

This has been one area of my game I am getting much better at. When I first started I was called Fish - no not that ok maybe - but because I was tighter than a fishes a-hole and folded good hands to aggressive bets. I still tend to play cautious but now its about viewing their hands ( if shown) or assessing bluff v reality.
I generally find early in the night/tourney people will bluff as the blinds are low, peoples ranges are generally wider. I got semi bluffed by one guy tonight, I had 8s, J9 was out there, he said he had a draw, but not what (maybe spades or QT or something)
So much so 1 player I had tagged earlier last year as a very good player folded to my continuation bet (because I didnt believe him ) . I then looked at him with new eyes. I have asked TD to put me on a table with Big Stack at Day 2 SA Open because he still causes night sweats ( ironically I busted him 2 months ago to win a Friday night) I want to challenge myself against him.
Funny that happens

1 chick I play against regularly I had pegged as an average player mid year considering some of the plays I saw her make (bluffs gone wrong, shoving with weak pairs with middling stacks etc when I probably would've waited for a stronger hand in a similar position), she didn't really change my perception until December/January, she knocked me out on a FT, but she also won a few tourneys around this time and made much better plays. So I think maybe she's much improved.

I have the patience of Job when needed. Unfortunately I sometimes misread a hand and get beat. SA Open was perfect for me - knowing there was a Day 2 - and a soft table - let me play 1 or 4 looser hands but tighten up when required

Best ever patience game was having 1100 in chips before the 1st hour and making FT and finishing 4th. Sure luck plays a part but I didnt waste my chips on hopeful hands

I am also slowing this down a lot. I now play a 60% fold game. ie if I still need 2 cards to make my hand - fold. (unless they are free looks)

I folded KK after raising once an A hit the flop and 2 people bet.

Then again I chased a straight flush to the river - missed - and still paid out - just in case. Cost me a lot of chips
Fair enough

Yeah on Saturday I folded queens when a king hit the flop and was accompanied by a big pot size bet. Conservative player who never played a hand at my table until then, big raise preflop, I could've 3bet him, but I felt he was incredibly strong, like AK etc.

I am debating this and the answer I have reluctantly come to is that risk/gamble plays are the only way to win - especially these turbo tourneys. 16k in chips and any 2 cards. Pocket 9s - UTG goes all in and I (button) call. UTG turns over AJ - Flop starts J10 groan then 9. And I held on

After chasing the straight draw I was down to 90k and hit a K9 off - lucky it called to the flop where a K hit - I shoved only to see my opponent with AK - last card was a club and I got up until the TD said I rivered the flush and doubled my stack - never looked back

I also look at stacks a lot more and make plays when I can afford it - until I doubled up the same player in consecutive hands :D
It worked for me tonight, finally, although I got a heap of decent playing hands to work with.

Had my best result tonight, came second, felt like a win really though, came to a gentlemans agreement heads up that we'd flip and get it all in no matter who was the chip leader when we both picked up hands as he had to be up early for work. So probably about 4 hands in heads up we flipped, he had A9, me KQ, it held.

Anyways

The early session was funny, I got it all in with queens again 3 way after I got 4 bet by a short stack. I get sucked out on by the short stacks AQ on the river, but I still made a 3k profit or so through the big stack who had 8s, late in the session I get 6s, I min raise just the BB calls

Flop comes Q75, BB checks, I bet to see where I'm at, he calls. Turn comes another 7, he bets, I call, I feel he's either got a weak queen or some sort of draw (hearts were out there). I did feel the 6 was coming though and it did on the river, he value bets me 3.5k, I shove, he tanks for a bit and shows me Q3 as he mucks, I show my boat and get about 7-8k from that hand, which was a lot at that time of the night at 500-1k bbs.

Get to the break at 26k (+11k), get my 30k chip up card, see a few flops at 1-2k, but only won one hand and got a walk in the BB, I pick up 9s on the button at 2-4k, 40k left, a few limps before me and just a min raise from the CO, I jam, just the CO calls with AK. My 9s hold and I'm up to over 90k

Got blinded down a little after that and card dead, then I got my trip 4s hand to get up above 130k. After that I was able to start bossing the table and identify the short stacks (was 3 of them). One old bloke in particular sitting two spots to my left who got moved to my table I had a decent battle with.

First time he has about 54k, I get AQ on the button, he's BB. 4-8k bbs, I raise to 20, he doesn't like my raise, figure he wants to see a flop, yet he calls.

Dream flop, Q35 rainbow hit top top, he bets 8k. I go over the top to put him all in, he agonises over it then mucks AK, I show my AQ. He says he felt he had to jam preflop but wanted to see a flop.

Anyways, a few hands later I get AQ again, this time in the SB, old mate jams UTG and I happily call. He has QT, I hit my ace with a king also out there and old mate rivers broadway, so we're basically back to where we were chip size a few hands before. Old mate then proceeds to go on a heater and eliminate 2 players and go to the final table with a bigger stack than mine :p

After i got dwindled down below 100k again after donating about 20k in limps from middle position then fet jammed on, I knocked out a short stack a few hands later with AK (she had 7s), I flopped 2 aces then filled up on the river, brutal.

Get to the FT with 120k (+64k) and was about 5th or 6th in chips, the 2 biggest stacks were from the other table but stacks 3-6 were all from my table. There was 3 really short stacks too (2 from other table), so I knew all I had to do was pick my spots and I could make ground, no BB antes helped big time too

I ended up having almost a dream FT run, something I had not had the luxury of before.

I seemed to always pick up a hand UTG or on the button and my jams were treated with respect, so I was able to stay afloat on the rising blinds and worked my way up to 200k while the dominoes started to fall.

Anyways, I get seat 8, I fold around to when I'm UTG, get KQ suited and jam knowing I'll get blinded down if I don't, everyone folds. I give up my next round of blinds from jams elsewhere so still at 120k

I pick up 8s and jam from UTG+2, very short stack in SB who's all in here who can't pay out a blind, good news BB big stack folds and SB has kings, lel. Luckily I chopped because a straight got put out onto the board.

Very next hand I'm UTG and it was right on the level bubble, I ask what the next BBs will be, get told 20-40k, so I pick up A6os I say I probably wont get a better hand than this in the blinds and figure I gotta jam again to stay somewhat afloat, again everyone folds believing me :p

The guy sitting on my right who had a stack similar to mine at the start of the FT is getting dwindled down and the next hand he jams. I figure he's jamming light and Im getting a great price to call and I'd still have about 90k left if he wins. I snap call when I look down at my AT and he is light, with K5. I flop a ten while he hits his 5, I hold on and take my 2nd ko of the night. We're down to 6 players now and I'm up to 200k now.

For a while I go a little card dry, give up my next BB, but jam in the SB with AQ suited. Up against the same chick who had kings on the straight board, she jammed beforehand with QJ suited. I flop an ace and turn another. Down to 5, up to about 270k, can't remember AQ playing so well before for me, though I guess I had her dominated which helped.

Play a bit of cat and mouse for a little while while the blinds are going up to 30-60k, old mate went out in 4th, got eliminated by the guy who won. Go card dead again aside from a blind on blind jam that we chopped up and was dwindling down to between 120-180k from giving my blinds up, I wait for the right moment and get AT suited, ends up being a 3 way all in and again a straight gets put out on the board. I was dead to two aces before that saved the day as middle stack had kings and big stack had a flush draw, hilarious it happened twice when someone had kings.

I luckily get a couple of walks in the BB then jammed with queens on the button with 180k as the short stack, they finally ******* hold in another action 3way all in scenario and sealed the fate of the chip leader, ended up knocking her out with just a pair of 4s not too long later which held against J8 suited (she was short, so she had to go for it).

So I go from 120k at FT start to about 630k heads up from knocking out the biggest stack, a middling stack and a short stack. Guy who won started 3rd in chips, he kod 2nd, 4th and the 2 other short stacks IIRC to be up around 750-800k.

Was happy to win some flips finally

QQ vs AQ vs 88 (L)
99 vs AK (W)
AK vs 77 (W)
AQ vs QT (L)
88 vs KK (C LOL)
AT vs K5 (W)
AQ vs QJ (W)
KT vs K6 (C)
AT vs KQ vs KK (C LOL)
QQ vs KJ vs ?? (W)
44 vs J8 (W)
KQ vs A9 (L)

Went 1 better than Monday, finally saluted

Had heaps of monster starting hands, but funnily enough a set of Kings when I was heads up was the second best completed hand I had for the night, was a pivotal hand too in getting me the win, set the trap, limped in with my kings then flatted a raise preflop and let my opponent hang herself on another 2 streets (turn and river after flop was checked) and blow half her stack before I jammed on her and she let whatever she had go. Early on in the heads up battle I got a runner runner straight with 89 suited (6-10), 6 on the flop, 7 on the turn for an open ender. Was luckily able to get 2 free cards by both checking the flop and turn after I called a standard preflop button raise, I think she was trying to figure out what hand I had, then I value bet her on the river but tried to make it look like a bluff my betting the right amount to get her to call, luckily she snap called me so she must've had two pair like QT or something (she mucked once I showed down after she called), so yeah, was the best completed hand I had for the night surprisingly.

Ended up getting her to get it all in preflop with AT after I set another limping in trap with AK, she raised her BB, I 3bet shoved and I knew she was calling this one seeing she was really pot committed. Board ran clean and my overcards were good.

Was a really good heads up battle though, two different styles, she wasn't afraid to bluff scary looking boards and most likely when I was ahead too, yet I knew this and just waited for the opportune time as she wanted to either see a flop or put pressure on my blinds most hands preflop. Luckily I had the chip advantage to start off with, I think she briefly took the chip lead after a few strong plays in short succession, but I took it back off her pretty quickly.

After a solid chip up start for the night where I was over 100k at the break and I busted a couple of short stacks to use their chip ups early on, I ran really dry for 3/6k and half of 4/8k then the hands came along again and I started flipping and won every flip, was only behind once and only at risk once, though 3 other flips I did would've seen my stack crushed had the hand not hold

JJ vs AJs (W) was the only time I was at risk, decent double up here
KK vs AT (W + ko) got me incredibly healthy for the FT, he only had 15k less than me too
A9 vs KQ (W + ko) short stack here on FT bubble

Final table started with 380k
JJ vs TT (W + ko) only just had him covered in chips by about 30-40k luckily after I blew 80k to start the FT seeing flops and I needed to change my gameplan and just be prepared to get it all in, but it was a crucial double up I needed early on in the FT that gave me a lot of security until the final 4
AK vs JJ (W + ko) short stack who came 7th, turned an ace
AK vs QJ (W + ko) knocked out second in chips at the time to send him home in 4th, would've left me absolutely crippled under 100k had he won that, but he was a punter who liked to get it in, so I happily obliged as I knew his range was wider than mine, also turned an ace and he couldn't river his gut shot
AK vs AT to win the night

This week has definitely made up for the s**t sandwich I copped last week, lol :)

A rare (<6 a year) pub game that I play.
5th blind level
500/1k
7 handed
Im utg and min raise AJs
4 call (yeah it's a pub game)
Flop is JhJcTd
BB checks and I bet 15k
Mid pos caller is silent as he slides his 37k stack in
Everyone folds to me
Call! (I had 32k left)He shows J8o
Anyway because the table know me to be a solid tournament player they were quite surprised at my line of play given my hand strength.
Good ....I want them to be

Do you like the play or not?

A rare (<6 a year) pub game that I play.
5th blind level
500/1k
7 handed
Im utg and min raise AJs
4 call (yeah it's a pub game)
Flop is JhJcTd
BB checks and I bet 15k
Mid pos caller is silent as he slides his 37k stack in
Everyone folds to me
Call! (I had 32k left)He shows J8o
Anyway because the table know me to be a solid tournament player they were quite surprised at my line of play given my hand strength.
Good ....I want them to be

Do you like the play or not?
I dont hate it

As long as you are shoving AJ the next time or at least once for show you will put people in 2 minds. Being known as a solid player can work for you both when you have a mid strength hand and when you have a good hand.

I dont hate it

As long as you are shoving AJ the next time or at least once for show you will put people in 2 minds. Being known as a solid player can work for you both when you have a mid strength hand and when you have a good hand.
Thx for your feedback
My thoughts after the flop were to maximize my value given that there were 4 callers preflop.
A JJT flop with connect with some callers most of the time and if someone has a J they will be at odds to fold it to my over pot bet on the flop. Secondly the board was drawing heavily to the bigger stacks that may have implied odds. I wanted them to pay for those odds
Thirdly I wanted to be heads up against any J or drawing hand even JT or TT (I hit my A on the river btw 😉)

For a pub table it was refreshing to fi d most of them were pretty decent regs and we discussed the hand a bit about how J8o can fold to me there?
All of them were of the opinion that I had AA through to QQ

The J8o guy thought I had KK .............until I called 😁

Thx for your feedback
My thoughts after the flop were to maximize my value given that there were 4 callers preflop.
A JJT flop with connect with some callers most of the time and if someone has a J they will be at odds to fold it to my over pot bet on the flop. Secondly the board was drawing heavily to the bigger stacks that may have implied odds. I wanted them to pay for those odds
Thirdly I wanted to be heads up against any J or drawing hand even JT or TT (I hit my A on the river btw 😉)

For a pub table it was refreshing to fi d most of them were pretty decent regs and we discussed the hand a bit about how J8o can fold to me there?
All of them were of the opinion that I had AA through to QQ

The J8o guy thought I had KK .............until I called 😁
And maximising value is number 1 in poker

Your 15k bet valued your hand at Jx or KK, QQ AA

His shove was him asking the question of which one it was

If you did have KK would you have folded his shove?

And maximising value is number 1 in poker

Your 15k bet valued your hand at Jx or KK, QQ AA

His shove was him asking the question of which one it was

If you did have KK would you have folded his shove?
Would really be player dependant if I were to fold KK there and given that I know the oppo I would also consider how many saw the flop. In this case with so many pre callers I would most likely fold KK (even after putting in 1/3 of my stack). If he was the only caller pre then I call every time as I know his range is wide and he will float light. Him calling with J8o is wanting to bust hands like KK 😉

Pick up tens UTG nearly halfway through first hour 200/400bbs, raise to 2.2k, 1 caller in the hijack, then the old bloke in the SB jams, he has a little less than me, would leave me with nearly 3k if I call. I cut out the call and think about it then muck them, other guy called with bugger all, old bloke had aces and they held, so good read there at least to get away from the tens.
Not knowing what the stack sizes are makes analysis harder but is a 5.5 BB raise pre standard? What hole cards are you calling with there so others don't think that they can just shove on your UTG 5.5x raise and make you fold?
Go fairly card dead, picked up one or two small pots from top/middle pairs etc, but got whittled down to 8k. Last hand before break, sitting UTG, decided to straddle 2k (500/1k bbs), get 3 callers, flop comes 845, 2 diamonds, I then check my cards, I have A5 offsuit, checks around to the turn, another 5, I jam, get called by a diamond draw, I hold on and have made a small profit even though I was getting bugger all.
Short stacked and out of position straddle......yo gamblin now. Dumb luck prevailed though.
Limped in with a few midrange Broadway carit like JT/QT etc, didn't hit, get K9 clubs in the BB 3/6k. limp in. Flop comes QJ7, I've got a gutter, checks around, turn comes a king and 3 hearts on the board, big stack bets min bet, gets a call, I think about it, feel someone has 9T or something funky but call, river comes a blank, I check other guy checks, big stack value bets. I really should've given this up it smelt like a completed draw but didn't get away from it, had other guy covered who had a jack, but yeah big stack hit a straight on the turn with AT, probably my one bad call of the night.
I'll keep it simple. The start of the quote and the end of it are the problems you had in this hand "limped" and "called". If you're not folding K9 raise it pre....Jx might just fold leaving you HU with AT.
Bet your draws on that flop, Jx and AT might fold there
Calling is usually bad when you have nothing.
So I'm crippled now with 20k, next hand I get A5 suited in the SB, second big stack raised to 20, I call-jam, BB folds and UTG calls, I hit my ace on the flop, big stack bets UTG out, he flips over queens, and I hold and get back up to 66k.
Standard
Next playable hand I get is AK os UTG and it's up to 4/8K bbs. I notice the BB is down to her last 12k. I bet 32k to get everyone out of it to isolate her heads up and pick up 16k plus her terminator chip. She reluctantly calls with 97os. Blanks on the flop, she turns a 9 and it holds for her. Down to 54k and like normal, AK is back to stinking it up after a brief period around Xmas where it ran ok for me.
I like your love/hate relationship with AK haha
I fold around to my next BB, get A6 os, limps around and I check it. I hit my ace on a AJ9 board and bet 15k and everyone out of it aside from AT straight guy, he calls. Turns a 7, I check, he bets same amount as I did on the flop, I think about it and put him on some sort of draw like QT or maybe a pair or two pair like J9/97/J7, I call. Rivers another 9, he shoves on me, I throw it away knowing he has the 9, which he shows Q9 so I was kind of in the ballpark there, this guy is just cleaning up on me, though he sucked out that time (I knew I was at least live if not ahead here on the turn, I maybe should've jammed the flop though but I could've been behind a stronger ace, so felt 2.5x BB was a good enough bet to get them out of the hand)
Lots of missing info for this hand.
You have 6.75 BB after the AK hand and now you have 5.75 BB left at the start of this hand. A6o isn't a great hand but it isn't the worst to get it in with preflop. Does Q9 fold to your shove pre? If you're not raising pre with A6o with 5.75 BB then what kind of flop are you hoping for that you can bet on?
Get it in Get value and bet bet bet bet bet

Your trip 6s hand happens but you got it in good and that's what should matter to you. As for 'if they held' forget that stuff, it's over.

Not knowing what the stack sizes are makes analysis harder but is a 5.5 BB raise pre standard? What hole cards are you calling with there so others don't think that they can just shove on your UTG 5.5x raise and make you fold?

I'll keep it simple. The start of the quote and the end of it are the problems you had in this hand "limped" and "called". If you're not folding K9 raise it pre....Jx might just fold leaving you HU with AT.
Bet your draws on that flop, Jx and AT might fold there
Calling is usually bad when you have nothing.
In Pub Poker any raise at pre-1k level is treated as a limp :D

ie AA in the BB - blinds are 1/200 ie 2nd level of the night. UTG2 raises to 8 - 2 callers before I raise to 1600. Original raiser calls - other folds and I end up winning a nice pot - he had pocket 10

Blinds 2/400 with QQ in the SB I raise to 2400 after 5 others limp along. 1 caller.

Blinds 3/600 with JJ I min raise in UTG2 - 3 callers ( yes I know) - but I wanted value and got countered on the river with a K

tl;dr pub poker is a really strange beast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back