balmey leaving

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading the article seems like he wants to stay involved in footy. What I will say who made the call because it wasn't him ?. For me we're in transition loosing staff and most of our flag heroes no one better to guide the ship then Balme the best footy administrator. Add to that helping and guiding Yze. Find it a bit puzzling you don't keep him around even in a part time situation.

Wish you lot would stop looking for something sinister whenever someone departs this great club.
Whether it be Dimma, Peggy, Benny or Balmey we’ve just come off a dynasty I could never have dreamed of 7 yrs ago.
We’ll simply just stock up on and off the ground and go again.

No one holds a position forever.
Go Tigs

Last edited:

Wish you lot would stop looking for something sinister whenever someone departs this great club.
Whether it be Dimma, Peggy, Benny or Balmey we’ve just come of a dynasty I could never have dreamed of 7 yrs ago.
We’ll simply just stock up on and off the ground and go again.

No one holds a position forever.
Go Tigs
People have the right to question the decision yes or no clearly it wasn't Balme decision that's my point. It's not a sacking his been made redundant end of year. Yes stock up again fair enough , but you aren't going to find a Balme the best in the business and in.our current situation no better man to lead the way.

And they came to this conclusion regarding his health the same week its reported Benny accepted the Tassie job. Literally within 48 hours of Caro's article. amazing.

You sound like the dad taking the pet cat to the vet for the last time, lol
I don't have or like cats on the other hand if you were my dog I would have put you down way before that date. Hows that for a laugh!

Very weird article & exit for a guy that honestly performed at an A+ for his entire tenure. To win the flag after "kebabgate" which happened 6 weeks out from finals is a testament to how good he was at what he did. And the way he juggled the chaos caused by Dimma having the affair over that same time can never be underestimated.

He wasn’t involved at that time. They were in QLD, he was in Melb in a hammock.
Don’t make up lies to illustrate your point.

Having seen Balmey as a player, and meting him a few times as a friend of one of my good mates, I know how much of a Tiger man he is. He has had success everywhere he has been, and was one of the key personnel that helped our latest golden era come to fruition.
I know how loyal he is, and how he felt that letting the Whale go after '74, set our club back years. Although Balmey's not a player, I still think he is part of the fabric of the club, and I hope it doesn't bite us on the ass. Would rather the decision was left up to him. Thanks Balmey.

I don’t see it like this at all. Balmey is 73 with health issues, his role at the club has diminished. A gentle tap on the shoulder that retirement is his best path. He deserves the proverbial golden handshake & gold watch (or 3 replica premiership cups). Enjoy retirement Neil, you have given your life to footy & finished your career at home.
Well said

Tough call but the right call considering the great man has medical issues...we got the best from him...now the Club needs to do the best by him! Another book Neil spesh on that famous pre season Umpire fracas! And pick and choose your footy story nights!

Having seen Balmey as a player, and meting him a few times as a friend of one of my good mates, I know how much of a Tiger man he is. He has had success everywhere he has been, and was one of the key personnel that helped our latest golden era come to fruition.
I know how loyal he is, and how he felt that letting the Whale go after '74, set our club back years. Although Balmey's not a player, I still think he is part of the fabric of the club, and I hope it doesn't bite us on the ass. Would rather the decision was left up to him. Thanks Balmey.
Loved that era of Richmond too. Brian Roberts getting sacking was G/Richmond. Kudos for the list GR put together, countless wrong decisions. Won another flag 6 years after Roberts left. I was devo'd when Barrott left, but got over it

I noted the success Balme had as an administrator and was ecstatic for him to come back to punt road.

2017 seemed peak Richmond culture to me. Over the years we've lost President, senior coach, numerous asst coaches, the game day people that Dimma took with him, maybe CEO, Matt Clarke, now Balme sacked. I have no idea but I trust Brendon Gale's judgment.

How could it bite us on the ass?

Last edited:
Loved that era of Richmond too. Brian Roberts getting sacking was G/Richmond. Kudos for the list GR put together, countless wrong decisions. Won another flag 6 years after Roberts left. I was devo'd when Barrott left, but got over it

I noted the success Balme had as an administrator and was ecstatic for him to come back to punt road.

2017 seemed peak Richmond culture to me. Over the years we've lost President, senior coach, numerous asst coaches, the game day people that Dimma took with him, maybe CEO, Matt Clarke, now Balme sacked. I have no idea but I trust Brendon Gale's judgment.

How could it bite us on the ass?
I'm looking for a continuity of the great club culture. I don't want what became the "a Richmond man" to get watered down. Gradual change is fine, but we seemed to have lost, or will be losing, a lot in a brief period of time. Success starts at the top. That has to be right before the onfield success happens.

I'm looking for a continuity of the great club culture. I don't want what became the "a Richmond man" to get watered down. Gradual change is fine, but we seemed to have lost, or will be losing, a lot in a brief period of time. Success starts at the top. That has to be right before the onfield success happens.
Balme returned to a club with a clear plan authored by CEO Gale. The Richmond man crapola were the players and coaches. Dimma, Cotch and Jack R. That diminishes as those individuals leave.

Like Stuy Maxfield and Bloods culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds to me like the AFL have put the hard word on the club to oust him as they can’t handle him telling them they are ******* useless .
With umpiring against us continually getting worst you could imagine Balmey has been regularly pointing out to them their blantant cheating.

It doesn't sound like that at all.

they moved him on the same week Gale accepted the Tassie job. its clear as day what likely happened, just a question of the motivation - but realistically, it makes no difference anyhow "why".

Jesus, do you EVER have anything good to say about Richmond? You’re always so critical and negative. I bet you’re really an oppo supporter pretending to be Richmond so you can come on here and pick s**t at everything we do.

What's bad about what i said?

He was sacked/pushed. Read the article

"In a conversation Balme described as briefly awkward, always caring but ultimately definitive, the Tigers CEO and his football boss Blair Hartley made it clear that season 2024 would be Balme’s last at the club.

Balme, speaking exclusively to this masthead about the decision, said he had come to terms with his subtly enforced exit but admitted it had not sat comfortably with him for some days afterwards.

“I think they were making the point they want me to retire rather than move me on,” he said, “and in a sense that takes the pressure off all of us. For a day or two I did feel a little bit uncomfortable, but the reality is I’m out of the decision-making area, and it’s kind of like a changing of the guard.

What they were saying was I’ve done my work at Richmond without any doubt. And while they have enormous respect for my relationship with the Richmond community the reality is I’ve been a bit crook and a bit weird.
“I’m not as strong mentally as I used to be, and I struggle with my emotions sometimes.

I’m not really part of match committee any more,” said Balme, “and they made a conscious decision not to have me involved [with Yze’s appointment] and I accepted that.”

What I have to say doesn’t always suit them,” he observed of both club and head office. While Balme has a relationship with the new coach, “he doesn’t regularly come into my office and ask my advice”.

-------

Stop being such a ******* life pansy and just accept that real grown ups are forced to make tough decisions all the time.

He was pushed, they new regime didn't want him involved. He was not really happy nor comfortable about it. But he is not in the decision making process so he accepts it and moves on. How does taking the article EXACTLY how its written make me negative?

FWIW you squibs, we are EXACLTLY where i said we were heading in 2021 while you all called me a negative hater. I'm just a realist who stopped wearing guernseys and my footy heart on my sleeve when i was 15.

It sounds like Yze & Balmey might have had some history together. States he was left out of the decision making process for the new coach, which is pretty odd considering his experience (perhaps club identified that he had his own opinion on Adem that was not helpful to the process) - and that Yze basically doesn't refer to him for guidance or advice. To me, it sounds to me that, likely, Benny had defended Balmey and said "while i'm here, he stays". Now that Benny has confirmed he is moving on, the call was made.

Times are a changin' indeed.

To be honest, i find if far more insulting that people are suggesting that Balmey had become so unwell that he had become feeble or some s**t. It's a regime change, clearly. And when that happens, people get sacked.

Last edited:
It is poor form.
Meeting Balmey for a cheap lunch at a cafe.
Benny recently sold the property in Brighton for $6 million, do not begrudge him that.
Balmey was also involved in the 3 flags at the Cats.

I agree.

I listened to every episode of the SACKED podcast. The best AFL podcast by a country mile. Listening to those and reading the article definitely painted a pretty clear picture of it all.

Regime changes happen, but the way it was handled sounded pretty s**t. Richmond has been ******* terrible at good-byes in this era

They came to the conclusion months ago.

It was at a casual pre-season lunch hosted by Brendon Gale where Neil Balme, another key player from the Richmond premiership epoch, learned that his time at the club was about to come to an end.”

Yeah..... So Benny knew months ago, but Balmey didn't. So, as i said, its likely Benny said "as long as i'm here, Balmey stays. End of story".

The second Benny made it clear he was not going to be here, literally 24-48 hours, they cut ties with Balmey.

I think we somewhat agree. I agree his health & phasing out has been a work in progress, clearly. What i said is, I dont think Balmey see's it this way. Hence why his article is littered with oxymoron's of him sounding clearly frustrated and slanted, but also pushing the company line like he has done for decades.

I don't even really have an opinion on if the call was right or not - just reading the article its clear the decision was not something they came up with "together" - it was a decision made for him. And the way it was presented to him just sounds kinda s**t from Hartley.

It is poor form.
Meeting Balmey for a cheap lunch at a cafe.
Benny recently sold the property in Brighton for $6 million, do not begrudge him that.
Balmey was also involved in the 3 flags at the Cats.

How i read it, Hartley was the one who told him, not Benny.

I, personally, find it a bit surprising and possibly a bit poor that it didn't come from Benny.

Livingstone & Hartley are pretty much the big wig's now in Richmond's football department.

Yup, just clearing that up as the chap i replied to said the club took him out to a cheap lunch while Benny just sold his house for $6,000,000. Just pointing out that Benny was not the guy booking to lunch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back