Ban plastic bags

Remove this Banner Ad

The green bags don’t seem so recyclable and I very much doubt they will last for the time it makes them better than other plastic.

here’s a tip though, weve been told that.it will last a long time. When your green bag is cactus, take it to the supermarket and demand a new one. It’s still going to landfill, but you don’t get charged a dollar each time

I've been given various canvas bags, haven't paid anything for them. I bought one of those insulated type Aldi bags about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

Also buy re-usable produce bags.

Single use plastic for vegetable packaging is absurd.

KS1ute7.jpg

Thanks Equador :thumbsu:

View attachment ViHFFxLDwzkSEyED.mp4

Thanks India :thumbsu:

I've been given various canvas bags, haven't paid anything for them. I bought one of those insulated type Aldi bags about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

Also buy re-usable produce bags.

Single use plastic for vegetable packaging is absurd.

Its not absurd to put your fruit and veg in plastic bags if you are using a grotty old bag on its 50th use or more, to transport them home

Its not absurd to put your fruit and veg in plastic bags if you are using a grotty old bag on its 50th use or more, to transport them home

Canvas bags are washable, and don't you wash your fruit and veg before use anyway?

What kind of refuse are you carrying in the bags you shop with...

Canvas bags are washable, and don't you wash your fruit and veg before use anyway?

What kind of refuse are you carrying in the bags you shop with...

That's called playing the man

OK they've achieved a ban on those plastic bags, but to claim what we have now is ideal environmentally is an absolute fantasy. don't pin the blame on my lifestyle.

Supermarkets loving the extra sales they get though

That's called playing the man

OK they've achieved a ban on those plastic bags, but to claim what we have now is ideal environmentally is an absolute fantasy. don't pin the blame on my lifestyle.

Supermarkets loving the extra sales they get though

I don't buy plastic bags from supermarkets, also don't buy my produce if it's in sytrofoam / plastic packaging (or generally from Coles / Woolworths). It's not that difficult to avoid.

I agree that the current scenario is both not the ideal, and that supermarkets are loving being able to sell plastic bags instead of wearing the cost themselves. Happy?
What you do is great. But you probably would do that anyway. I just think the legislated change was a small step. But more could be done

But more could be done

Very much agree here, I don’t think that will change quickly at a political level however. More people choosing to buy either unpackaged produce, or better, supporting a locally owned green grocer, would help shift via commercial pressures though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woolies ones are better. IGA the best.
Her indoors has simply gone from using the thin ones to the thick ones.
Any idea how many thin ones might equal one thick one in terms of plastic by weight ?

Maybe we need to go back to the days of the old paper style ones. And glass milk bottles picked up and dropped off by the milk man!

Maybe we need to go back to the days of the old paper style ones. And glass milk bottles picked up and dropped off by the milk man!
Hell Yes.
A tad old school but there's a middle ground somewhere to be found.

These supermarkets have good reason to think we're all idiots. We can be sold anything.
Somehow we let them make us do our own bagging, our own checkout, we do their inventory for them, we reorder for them etc, and now we also pay for bags that were free.
We've handed them enormous profits and let them cut service and staff to the bone...and yet some out there think its all excellent progress.

The bag ban has been in place a long time now. Surely there's a study completed on just how much plastic it has actually saved...or would that risk finding the only benefit was once again to the supermarkets ?

Time THEY started paying for it.

Woolies ones are better. IGA the best.
Her indoors has simply gone from using the thin ones to the thick ones.
Any idea how many thin ones might equal one thick one in terms of plastic by weight ?

The bag ban has been in place a long time now. Surely there's a study completed on just how much plastic it has actually saved...or would that risk finding the only benefit was once again to the supermarkets ?

Surely you can use a search engine by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back