Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything is relative. Compare Beau's game to Geelong's direct comparison Gryan invisible Myers. it was a cauldron. Beau put his head over the ball, tried his guts out and fumbled a bit. Gryan on the other hand didn't fumble all day, largely because he didn't get near it.
Yep, Beau had a better game than Gryan. But I don't assess Beau based on someone else's performance, I assess him based on his. And for Beau to really become a critical contributor to our team, I think he needs to improve what he does when the opposition doesn't have the ball, regardless of what someone from the other team at the other end of the ground does

Yep, Beau had a better game than Gryan. But I don't assess Beau based on someone else's performance, I assess him based on his. And for Beau to really become a critical contributor to our team, I think he needs to improve what he does when the opposition doesn't have the ball, regardless of what someone from the other team at the other end of the ground does
He had an above average game by his standards, particularly in terms of actually getting the footy (which seems to be one of your main issues). He made some mistakes with ball in hand, but he was not alone by any means. Hell, much more experienced players like Checkers were making much more critical mistakes

He had an above average game by his standards, particularly in terms of actually getting the footy (which seems to be one of your main issues). He made some mistakes with ball in hand, but he was not alone by any means. Hell, much more experienced players like Checkers were making much more critical mistakes
He twice made mistakes trying to grab the ball, too. Finals' success requires one grab players. Beau is not in danger of losing his spot, but the team is in danger of exiting the finals if the boys don't kick straight and grasp opportunities that present themselves.

Why compare him to the other teams forward. Why do Collingwood fans always accept mediocrity? I bet you're also one of those supporters that still talks about our great performance in the 2007 prelim every week and plan to talk to your grandkids about how close we got.

Why compare him to the other teams forward. Why do Collingwood fans always accept mediocrity? I bet you're also one of those supporters that still talks about our great performance in the 2007 prelim every week and plan to talk to your grandkids about how close we got.
You'd do your dough.
The point of comparing McCreery to Miers is that it offers perspective of relative performance. Both players are role players. Every player from Jeremy Cameron through to Cox had a moment they would prefer to forget. The pressure was intense. Players prepared to put their head over the ball and focus on the next play are worth gold in finals. McCreery meets that standard. He'll be better for the experience

The criticisms for Beau are fair in my opinion. I love the kid - he’s one of my favourite players in fact - but he’s definitely a weak link and needs more meat in his game. In the same way it wasn’t enough for Mason Cox simply to “compete” and “bring the ball to ground”, it isn’t enough for Beau to bob up with a couple of good pressure acts and offer nothing more in four quarters of footy. We don’t have anyone better right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Bobby Hill comes in next season and Beau finds himself in the VFL more often than not.

He twice made mistakes trying to grab the ball, too. Finals' success requires one grab players. Beau is not in danger of losing his spot, but the team is in danger of exiting the finals if the boys don't kick straight and grasp opportunities that present themselves.
I agree, but it was his first final. Not sure who is surprised

I agree, but it was his first final. Not sure who is surprised
I am a bit surprised. I hoped he would be more composed. But I guess other first year players made mistakes - like Johnson's first kick at goal. Naicos' game wasn't devoid of error. When you get 25+ possessions a few non crucial errors are not so memorable. My point simply was that finals requires one grab players, not fumblers. Surety with the ball can make the difference between winning and losing.

Beau’s first final, young player, under enormous pressure, he made some mistakes and he’ll learn from it.

But this season he has been a significant contributor to our success, and only a few weeks ago was being lauded for ‘that’ amazing goal late in the game against Carlton.

While he fumbled, he was in it. Many more highly rated players don’t get near the ball in a high pressure final.

Beau’s first final, young player, under enormous pressure, he made some mistakes and he’ll learn from it.

But this season he has been a significant contributor to our success, and only a few weeks ago was being lauded for ‘that’ amazing goal late in the game against Carlton.

While he fumbled, he was in it. Many more highly rated players don’t get near the ball in a high pressure final.

Word.

Many are looking at the Geelong loss through a "negativity lens"; it's almost as if Buckley's style of coaching lives on through us. We're focusing on the individual errors and counting the cost of each against the result.

We've lost sight of how far Beau (along with the rest of the team) has come in the space of a year and all the positive work that has brought them so close to contention.

They're only going to get better and I believe the reason will be that the coaching team encourages players to back themselves. To accept that they'll make mistakes and that they'll learn from them.

Last edited:
Word.

Many are looking at the Geelong loss through a "negativity lens"; it's almost as if Buckley's style of coaching lives on through us. We're focusing on the individual errors and counting the cost of each against the result.

We've lost sight of how far Beau (along with the rest of the team) has come in the space of a year and all the positive work that has brought them so close to contention.

They're only going to get better and I believe the reason will be that the coaching team encourage players to back themselves. To accept that they'll make mistakes and that they'll learn from them.
It's hard to undo the years of perfectionism and negativity! :p Although Pendlebury and Sidey seemed to do so quickly...

Big time agree with the rest of your post. It's a learning process. 90,000 Pies fans on Saturday night will create a pretty sweet atmosphere

Yep Mihocek was very poor. That doesn't make Beau's game any better or worse though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the point I was making. The prior poster made the comparison, and my post was about saying that it doesn't matter how Gryan went (or any other player from the opposition), all that matters is how Beau contributes when he is on the ground, and in my view he needs to find a way to clean up parts of his game or we need to upgrade him if not. I don't accept mediocrity.

Geez we got close in 2007 though...! Such a close game!

The criticisms for Beau are fair in my opinion. I love the kid - he’s one of my favourite players in fact - but he’s definitely a weak link and needs more meat in his game. In the same way it wasn’t enough for Mason Cox simply to “compete” and “bring the ball to ground”, it isn’t enough for Beau to bob up with a couple of good pressure acts and offer nothing more in four quarters of footy. We don’t have anyone better right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Bobby Hill comes in next season and Beau finds himself in the VFL more often than not.
Agree, and hopefully that time in the VFL is spent up the ground a little where Beau can develop play making rather than just tackling. His hardness and speed would be great around the contest if he could get the ball and explode away more regularly.

Yep Mihocek was very poor. That doesn't make Beau's game any better or worse though.
No, just that the heat was so much that even quite experienced players were making mistakes. I think there's people more deserving of criticism than RamBeau

No, just that the heat was so much that even quite experienced players were making mistakes. I think there's people more deserving of criticism than RamBeau

Yeah, I think there are. But it wouldn't make sense to post that criticism in the Beau McCreery thread

The boys lost by one goal against a rampant Minor Premier on an unended 14 game winning streak.

Sorry if I feel that some posters on this board are being hypercritical and hippocritcal at the same time.

I get the angst but for serious?

The boys lost by one goal against a rampant Minor Premier on an unended 14 game winning streak.

Sorry if I feel that some posters on this board are being hypercritical and hippocritcal at the same time.

I get the angst but for serious?
Girl Swim GIF by Cincinnati Zoo

I agree, by the way.

I thought he had a poor game. He is just not great with the ball in hand. Fumbled a bit, made some poor decisions, and executed some poor disposals. Needs to clear up his cleaness with the ball, because he can't stay in the side purely as a defensive contributor in my view.

He had some poor moments but wasn't on his own in that regard. Beyond that, I'm surprised people think his place in the side is under threat.

I'd love to see his GPS data. I reckon that would only reinforce his importance to the team.

He had some poor moments but wasn't on his own in that regard. Beyond that, I'm surprised people think his place in the side is under threat.

I'd love to see his GPS data. I reckon that would only reinforce his importance to the team.
There were quite a few what if moments.
Personally, they stood out to me more due to the excitement/anticipation he generates.
First final, better for the run hopefully.

There were quite a few what if moments.
Personally, they stood out to me more due to the excitement/anticipation he generates.
First final, better for the run hopefully.

Agree with this.

I’d like to see him take the responsibility a bit more and take the shot or make the play. I sense that will come with experience.

I’m putting him in the Maynard mould where we need to get him to 50 games and we’ll see a different player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back