Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

Beau is a throwback to what footy players used to be like in the '30's and 40's.

Hard as nails.

Totally focussed on the ball and ball carrier.

Hard, hurting tackles.

Makes the opposition look over their shoulders.
Not really, back in the 30's and 40's it was kick, mark, go back behind your mark and kick down the line. Today's football would be much tougher than back then, the players are bigger, faster and stronger. The only thing you had to watch out for was if anyone was going to punch you in the mouth

Not really, back in the 30's and 40's it was kick, mark, go back behind your mark and kick down the line. Today's football would be much tougher than back then, the players are bigger, faster and stronger. The only thing you had to watch out for was if anyone was going to punch you in the mouth
What happened when a player didn’t mark it?

Good to see a few are getting on the bandwagon following some interesting discussion over the preseason with some suggesting he’s easily replaced as a pressure forward. Absolutely love the way he plays and the intensity he brings.

I think you’ve missed the point.

They’ve played McReery higher up the ground vs Melbourne… and that’s where he made the chief difference on the weekend

Several on here been saying for a while that he should’ve been rotated into the midfield rather than under-utilised as a full time forward

Coaches did that and we saw the results of it

They’ve played McReery higher up the ground vs Melbourne… and that’s where he made the chief difference on the weekend

Several on here been saying for a while that he should’ve been rotated into the midfield rather than under-utilised as a full time forward

Yes good point I hadn’t noticed that. Deep forward pocket he’s a bit wasted and a luxury we can’t afford….play him higher up the ground and he can force turnovers or at least hold up play and slow opposition momentum where it matters… in the middle of the ground. He can also turn on the afterburners playing higher up the ground because he has tons of pace and is a great kick. High half forward suits him better.

Last edited:
McCreery is doing that thing that Varcoe, at his best, could do. Watching the replay, he kept running into the frame, charging and tackling like a mad man. Saw more of this because he was playing further up the ground?

Fantastic we are blooding such a lot of different young blokes with a spread of talents. The many posters commenting about him making opponents look over their shoulders is ringing bells for me, very happy with his lawful agression.

They kicked it off the ground
My opinion from discussions with older campaigners who watched footy in the 30's and 40's is the grounds were soggier, the balls heavier, the kicking worse and the marks less frequent. There was a ton of slogging in packs, and guys like Mcreery were in their element.

It was a rare player who could combine skill and vigour (eg the Colliers) and rarer still that they could be a pure skills player (eg Des Fothergill, Dick Reynolds).

My old man always felt the best players of today weren't better than the best of the past, but the bottom 12 players nowadays have skill and fitness you never saw in the 1930's, there is a much bigger pool of players now even with the expanded lists.

Fantastic we are blooding such a lot of different young blokes with a spread of talents. The many posters commenting about him making opponents look over their shoulders is ringing bells for me, very happy with his lawful agression.

My opinion from discussions with older campaigners who watched footy in the 30's and 40's is the grounds were soggier, the balls heavier, the kicking worse and the marks less frequent. There was a ton of slogging in packs, and guys like Mcreery were in their element.

It was a rare player who could combine skill and vigour (eg the Colliers) and rarer still that they could be a pure skills player (eg Des Fothergill, Dick Reynolds).

My old man always felt the best players of today weren't better than the best of the past, but the bottom 12 players nowadays have skill and fitness you never saw in the 1930's, there is a much bigger pool of players now even with the expanded lists.
Yep he's ALL about the contest, has a HUGE appetite for it.

He's not going to be a champion skill player but he could easily become a champion contest player who is a bit skillful.

It's not only champions that can turn a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCreery is doing that thing that Varcoe, at his best, could do. Watching the replay, he kept running into the frame, charging and tackling like a mad man. Saw more of this because he was playing further up the ground?
That is a very good comparison VP.

Prefer “Cannonball” McCreery, but not bad.
I think it is great just have someone in there who does not take a backward step a big plus for me,I think a bit of controlled aggression does wonders for both our team and the opposition who might be a little less willing to try any s--- on.

Yes good point I hadn’t noticed that. Deep forward pocket he’s a bit wasted and a luxury we can’t afford….play him higher up the ground and he can force turnovers or at least hold up play and slow opposition momentum where it matters… in the middle of the ground. He can also turn on the afterburners playing higher up the ground because he has tons of pace and is a great kick. High half forward suits him better.
And enjoys a bounce, too!

I think it is great just have someone in there who does not take a backward step a big plus for me,I think a bit of controlled aggression does wonders for both our team and the opposition who might be a little less willing to try any s--- on.

That strength from the press on the bench working beautifully in mauling opponents with brute strength in wrapping them up and bringing them down , Magnifique to watch .
Your right it was great I think Lever thought he could fend him off and discovered he could,nt , Ball.

I was resisting the idea of Beau playing outside the forward line this early in his career but I'm sold; we saw against Melbourne that his speed & power can be used to advantage further up.

Vicky Park 's comparison with Varcoe is on-point. Runs hard and hits harder.

Nah, I think you’ve missed the point. I was talking specifically about his work as a pressure forward which is elite and some posters preseason were suggesting he could/should be replaced with (say) Macrae because McCreery just doesn’t get enough footy. Much of the discussion following the Dees game was acknowledging that he doesn’t actually need to accumulate big possession numbers to impact the game. That his pace, aggression, and will toward the 2nd, 3rd, or whatever is required follow up contests make him a key component of our forward group.

That he can rotate further afield a bonus, but not the point I was seeking to address, and not a requirement for his continued selection.

I was resisting the idea of Beau playing outside the forward line this early in his career but I'm sold; we saw against Melbourne that his speed & power can be used to advantage further up.

Vicky Park 's comparison with Varcoe is on-point. Runs hard and hits harder.

J, while I’d like to take the credit, another poster (not sure who) made the Varcoe connection before me. But it’s a good one😊

It’s very much a luxury we can afford. He’s always ventured up into the midfield and beyond during play. The entire team squeeze’s up into the defensive half so it’s silly to suggest otherwise. The critical tackle that was much applauded the previous week was at HB as a case in point. Mondays game was little different.

J, while I’d like to take the credit, another poster (not sure who) made the Varcoe connection before me. But it’s a good one😊
If you go back a little further. Daisy Thomas use to play a similar role in 2010. Him along with our back 6 use to make it hard for the opposition to get the ball out. We are applying similar pressure at the moment with McCreery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back