Bec Goddard retires from coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

This one hurts. A legend of the game. What she's done for our program and the culture at our club will be felt for a long time to come. Thanks for everything Bec, truly one of the best to ever do it

i am sure she has done a wonderful job in regards to culture and getting our AWFL program off the ground however from a game coach perspective this season highlighted her lack of coaching and game day skills.
There was an inconsistency on field that i personally think pointed to a flawed game plan execution. We weren't the most skilled side, as different to the Adelaide team she coached to a flag, and needed a simple plan playing to our strengths. Watch the Tigers game and then the Port game, chalk and cheese. We didn't have the disposal skill to play a loose zone, tighten it up and we looked so much better.
I do wish her well in her future endeavors and thank her for her service.

i am sure she has done a wonderful job in regards to culture and getting our AWFL program off the ground however from a game coach perspective this season highlighted her lack of coaching and game day skills.
There was an inconsistency on field that i personally think pointed to a flawed game plan execution. We weren't the most skilled side, as different to the Adelaide team she coached to a flag, and needed a simple plan playing to our strengths. Watch the Tigers game and then the Port game, chalk and cheese. We didn't have the disposal skill to play a loose zone, tighten it up and we looked so much better.
Well put she clearly has some great talent as a people leader and she attracted great senior talent to the club that’s propelling us forward so kudos there. But I don’t think she’s a good football tactical coach. Any of us could have coached Adelaide to win year 1. These 2 years we especially defensively have been all at sea. I wish her the best but these sort of snap announcements are usually save face for both parties.

Agree and disagree.
Part of developing a side is doing different things.
I notice you ignore the saints game where we played tight for 3 quarters and got blown away. But when we played aggressive and attacking footy, we nearly pinched it

I’m hoping we have a chat to and bring home Daniel Harford ex Blues coach.

Two seasons too late. We went for the optics instead of the substance with our first coach and we are paying the price. We also recruited some very questionable veterans, some of which barely played, so we wasted list spots and development time.

We were always late comers to the AFLW and our set up only proved this.

A good coach, a serious pre-season and a serious talent injection to complement Bates, Bodey and the developing youngsters and we are hopefully on our way.

Two seasons too late. We went for the optics instead of the substance with our first coach and we are paying the price. We also recruited some very questionable veterans, some of which barely played, so we wasted list spots and development time.

We were always late comers to the AFLW and our set up only proved this.

A good coach, a serious pre-season and a serious talent injection to complement Bates, Bodey and the developing youngsters and we are hopefully on our way.

Disagree. I think bec was the correct choice. Yes, an optics selection, but we weren't going to push for a flag, so why not have someone who knows women's sport and has probably more connections than anyone in the game?

The club was also not late to the party. We set up a pathway to have the team come in in the first expansion, but the league knocked us back, then knocked us back a second time.

Disagree. I think bec was the correct choice. Yes, an optics selection, but we weren't going to push for a flag, so why not have someone who knows women's sport and has probably more connections than anyone in the game?

The club was also not late to the party. We set up a pathway to have the team come in in the first expansion, but the league knocked us back, then knocked us back a second time.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but Stuart Fox notably told Susan Alberti that we didn't give a damn about women's footy. This is not in dispute and was a huge reason why we were so far behind. Most experts would argue that only Port are as far behind as we are.

As for Goddard knowing women's sport, she may have, but that didn't make her a good coach. She benefited from having by far and away the best list in the first year. A list that carried her. Then Adelaide moved her on. She'll argue she decided, just like this time, but that's window dressing.

We had no game plan, do defensive system, no ability to change things on the run and very limited development of high end talent. She might be a good person, but she was not what we needed as our first coach.

Last edited:
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but Stuart Fox notably told Susan Alberti that we didn't give a damn about women's footy. This is not in dispute and was a huge reason why we were so far behind. Most experts would argue that only Port are as far behind as we are.

As for Goddard knowing women's sport, she may have, but that didn't make her a good coach. She benefited from having by far and away the best list in the first year. A list that carried her. Then Adelaide moved her on. She'll argue she decided, just like this time, but that's window dressing.

We had no game plan, do defensive system, no ability to change things on the run and very limited development of high end talent. She might be a good person, but she was not what we needed as our first coach.

You won’t win in here eP! Too many sheep that believe every move by the club and the previous coach in this space was faultless. Goddard didn’t retire, which says it all - and means the club don’t get the PR hit for not having the right process to appoint our most important very first AFLW coach.

Someone even suggested that the coach was planning for future years by having one player on the bench for a significant chunk of the game. Some garbage about improving the fitness or something ridiculous like that. A coach who is not guaranteed a future is not coaching for years ahead. Just laughable really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back