Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not certain on the rye lager %, it's a recipe that Brewmart (WA homebrew distribution/suppliers) will bag up and sell, so you get the exact grain and hops necessary for the recipe without excess, usually $50 a batch including liquid yeast packs. They've been awesome so far, not just generic bulls**t but include carapils etc and actually think through their recipes. They do brew days with the public too where I think they test them out a bit.

Still bottling, doubt I'll ever go for kegs (besides the 5L one I've got), though what you've said has genuine merit still going to give it a try in the carboy. Feel like I've learnt best by doing so far if you know what I mean.

Actually just picked up 144 clean stubbies off Gumtree for free this arvo - proper store bought ones not just ones that some campaigner has polished off and rinsed. Though the pint size bottles are great, sometimes I feel like I bit smaller of a serve so will use these for the NZPA batch. Makes it a bit easier to share too.

Yep will def pick up some husks, only $5 a bag and will chuck in a handful to avoid any constipation.

Though I had a s**t time with the Japanese rice lager from All Inn Brewing, think I might do their White IPA sometime in the new year. The idea of cutting out the brew day but still making it is cool.

Yeah dude, they make some good fresh wort kits. I reckon especially coming into Summer it's a great way to supplement your own brewing so there's backups readily available to drink.

Not certain on the rye lager %, it's a recipe that Brewmart (WA homebrew distribution/suppliers) will bag up and sell, so you get the exact grain and hops necessary for the recipe without excess, usually $50 a batch including liquid yeast packs. They've been awesome so far, not just generic bulls**t but include carapils etc and actually think through their recipes. They do brew days with the public too where I think they test them out a bit.

Still bottling, doubt I'll ever go for kegs (besides the 5L one I've got), though what you've said has genuine merit still going to give it a try in the carboy. Feel like I've learnt best by doing so far if you know what I mean.
All good man, if you transfer it carefully between vessels you’ll be fine. You’ll get clearer beer that way compared to just lagering in the bottle. It’ll look sick in the carboy after a couple of weeks

I only just got a keg after like 3 years of bottling. It was way less complicated and less equipment-heavy than I expected. only problem is now I have no fermenting fridge as it’s now the keg fridge

I need a bigger fridge - can’t fit my brewzilla in it eh

Buy a bigger fermenting fridge then use your current one as a keg only serving fridge.

FYI this is what happened to me. I was rotating my fridge between fermenting and serving kegs and then just ended up buying a kegerator.

Buy a bigger fermenting fridge then use your current one as a keg only serving fridge.

FYI this is what happened to me. I was rotating my fridge between fermenting and serving kegs and then just ended up buying a kegerator.
Yeah that’s exactly what I plan to do. Not that important at this stage with temps being cool in Melb tho

So with this pale ale I decided to add some yeast vitamins to the boil, SG: 1054. Gravity reading tonight is at 1.001. 😐

Not sure what to make of this.
Wow

Could be a few things but that’s never happened to me unless I’ve used saison yeast. How long has it been fermenting? What’s it smell/taste like?

Wow

Could be a few things but that’s never happened to me unless I’ve used saison yeast. How long has it been fermenting? What’s it smell/taste like?

About 72 hours. Smells great through the airlock, but I'll open it up in a bit and let you know.

Hoping it's not infected.

Tasted it? I add yeast nutrient to all my beers, just a few grams, roughly a teaspoon.

What yeast are you using? That's a very quick ferment and the booze may have come from getting a bit hot in doing so (fusel alcohols).

Nah haven't given it a taste yet, will check it out tonight. Used half a teaspoon of the nutrients and the krausen is still super thick.

Using Wyeast American Ale II, used it before and got about 80+% attenuation. Been fermenting at 19 degrees so not too hot.

Not too fussed about it really other than not wanting to get sick if I drink it!

Nah haven't given it a taste yet, will check it out tonight. Used half a teaspoon of the nutrients and the krausen is still super thick.

Using Wyeast American Ale II, used it before and got about 80+% attenuation. Been fermenting at 19 degrees so not too hot.

Not too fussed about it really other than not wanting to get sick if I drink it!

Currently 98% attenuation 😲

You've got a tilt hey? The first thing I'd suggest is grabbing a small sample and checking with a hydrometer just to be sure. Then use that to taste the sample so it doesn't feel like you've wasted any haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently 98% attenuation 😲

You've got a tilt hey? The first thing I'd suggest is grabbing a small sample and checking with a hydrometer just to be sure. Then use that to taste the sample so it doesn't feel like you've wasted any haha.

Let's just hope I'm not tripping balls after drinking 100ml.

it’s a bit bizarre.

maybe the sample was diluted or the beer wasn’t mixed properly or something?

I don’t reckon that’s normal attenuation for that yeast even if fermented warm, and an infection would take way longer than 72 hours to get it to 1.001.

maybe Crazy Vozzo gave away your gravity points

Negative. Will manually test in a bit.

Good call Spacey. Begrudgingly opened it up and took a sample and scooped up the Tilt, looks like some gunk from the krausen had settled on top of it and was weighing it down. Gave it a quick scrape and both the Tilt and the manual hydrometer measured up at 1.007.

Glad it appears to be fine!

Bit of a concern that krausen would affect its reading though.

my latest beer, a coconut cacao porter, is not turning out the way I wanted it to. It has this real acrid astringent taste and it is miles off the attenuation I expected. Pitched two sachets of US05 too.

going to add some lactose, crystal malt and vanilla bean this weekend though and then carb her up. It’s meant to be for my homebrew club’s case swap so I was hoping it would be a lot better

Back